Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Mystery object id please. Electrical/mechanical?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I have no information to go with this I’m afraid! It looks like it might be some sort of high power switch or something? Any ideas?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Does it say “on” and “off” on the side we can’t see?

perchypanther
    Free Member

The original machine had a base plate of prefabulated aluminite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two main spurving bearings were in a direct line with the pentametric fan. The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzlevanes, so fitted to the ambifacient lunar waneshaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-delta type placed in panendermic semi-bovoid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible tremie pipe to the differential girdlespring on the “up” end of the grammeters.

(© vinnyeh of this parish. Deep joy.)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bentandbroken

Flux Capacitor

bob_summers

It’s either a BOAT or a POACH

Waderider
    Free Member

That’ll be a electro-mechanical electric engine switching actuator, likely from Pat Mustards milk float.

Or from a tram or electric train.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Flux capacitor was my first guess! I have a new photo!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to guess variable speed controller for an electric motor but Wade got there first. Looks a bit like a high current reversing switch but more complicated, hence my guess.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Well i am going to guess its some kind if starter…

NewRetroTom

Pipes with red and blue tape coming out of it – hot and cold water for keeping it cool?

tthew

Red blue and yellow is likely to be 3 phase connections, so AC something or other rather than a DC motor speed control.

ta11pau1

Starter solenoid for a big ass engine?

fossy

Dr Who is missing a few bits from her Tardis.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Could it be a miniature tap changer? Nor sure why a consumer would need one other than if the grid wasn’t outputting correctly.

Actually, no, I still reckon speed controller is more likely, it could have come off something that belts and gears wouldn’t make sense on. A pump maybe?

kayak23

Butter churn innit.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Immersion heater element.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Actually, no, I still reckon speed controller is

Its cast into the casing thats its a starter.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Could it be a miniature tap changer?

ta11pau1

Pipes with red and blue tape coming out of it – hot and cold water for keeping it cool?

But what about the yellow one? Luke warm water?

Given the big crank handle, and the word STARTER cast into the housing, I’m going with a manual crank starter motor/capacitor for something very big. Like the national grid. Or the economy.

Oh and that handle has obviously seen a lot of hands over the years, look how smooth and shiny it is. So it’s something that needs starting regularly.

Yep, definitely the economy.

tthew

No ID plates with manufacturers name or part numbers? Probably on the missing cover over the phase connections I suppose.

hols2
    Free Member

Turbo encabulator.

Waderider
    Free Member

Maybe a manual electrical exciter then?

MoreCashThanDash

Yep, definitely the economy.

Best put it somewhere safe, we’ll be needing that in a couple of months

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Given the big crank handle, and the word STARTER cast into the housing, I’m going with a manual crank starter motor/capacitor for something very big. Like the national grid. Or the economy.

Possibly something like a big starter capacitor? Can’t think what the handle would be, maybe it adjust the timing of the phases to get the motor to turn over or it controls the speed by adjusting the capacitance? The gearing would make it way too small to actually crank over a motor big enough to warrant components that needed submerging in an oil bath (I presume that’s what it is).

ta11pau1

Possibly something like a big starter capacitor? Can’t think what the handle would be, maybe it adjust the timing of the phases to get the motor to turn over or it controls the speed by adjusting the capacitance? The gearing would make it way too small to actually crank over a motor big enough to warrant components that needed submerging in an oil bath (I presume that’s what it is).

The crank looks like it’s connected to the 3 ‘rollers’ at the bottom which move them over the 7 different contacts, with the current position being off as its not connected to a coil. So yeah, moving the crank would swap the contacts to different coils and provide different amounts of current.

So, a speed controller for a big electric motor?

5th reply had it I reckon.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Its cast into the casing thats its a starter.

Couldn’t see that on my phone screen. I don’t think too much should be read into that, it’s very obviously some sort of controller using resistance, the question is more what it was controlling. Again, a starter would be a set speed so can’t see how it’s relevant (and motor starters would only switch between two modes of operation, star and delta which are wiring configurations). It’s bloomin big though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Unless its inly a part of the starter and in actual fact it even bigger!

Its clearly a 5G interupter built to be electronically secure so the lizard overlords cant sabotage it using the modified 4G deathray from the nearest “wind farm”.

Makes you think

FB-ATB

Isn’t it the winding mechanism for the credits at the end of Trupmton/Chigley/Camberwick Green?

leffeboy

I’m tempted by the starter thing but I’m wondering if it’s for controlling the temperature of something.  The ‘coils’ don’t really have enough turns for induction I would have thought.  It does look like switch as well though

Could there have been a fan to blow the air as the wires are bare so couldn’t be fluid (unless that fluid is insulating e.g. oil)

Edit: I think it is some sort of bad ass heating element.  Three phase supply via the big ‘wires’ coming out the top, the handle on the top rotates the bit inside to select different elements for different powers.  The cores are connected together in series in pairs with taps off at several points which suggests variable resistance.  Could also be a brake on a big generator but that wouldn’t match with ‘starter’ on the front

all good fun

hols2
    Free Member

Makes you think

I’m more resistant to thinking than you assume.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I stripped something like that out of an old electroplating works in Fareham a few years back, seem to remember it had different settings for various plating types & thicknesses.
    It was 3 phase but low voltage high current & was in a casing on top of the electrodes that were immersed in the tank.

dirkpitt74

I’m going with tap changer – the pipes could be for oil and not water.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I think they’re busbars not pipes, and it’s a starter for a big electric motor, where it has a bank of resistors that are switch in and out as it takes up the load. I’m a structural engineer not electrical so I don’t know the details but it’s to do with the way the motor works when it’s starting to rotate under load, such as an overhead workshop crane. I remember we were concerned about the load v time function because it if the load was snagged, or way too heavy, we wanted to make sure the crane didn’t pull the building down before anyone realised, and the electrical engineers explained it had the bank of resistors.

rickmeister

Its the main drive unit from The Symbian.

maccruiskeen

Can you connect to it by Bluetooth? And when you do does it start buzzing? Did you buy it from Wish?

leffeboy

I think @greybeard might be right. That would make good sense with what’s there and what’s written on it. I thought it might be for braking but it could also be used to start up a big three phase motor a bit more slowly. More resistance=more slip so that would start it slower

donald
    Free Member

A wind-up flux capacitor.

Brings back memories.

I haven’t seen one of those since 2115.

matt_outandabout

Have you attached a battery yet?

null

matt_outandabout

murf
    Free Member

I think it’s an auto transformer type motor starter…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Mystery object id please. Electrical/mechanical?’ is closed to new replies.