Mysterious Bottom Bracket Wobblies

Home Forum Bike Forum Mysterious Bottom Bracket Wobblies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mysterious Bottom Bracket Wobblies
  • Premier Icon Kona TC
    Subscriber

Axle worn?

Premier Icon Hobster
    Subscriber

Is it lateral movement or more of a wobble?

z1ppy

BB cracked? Worst case scenario but…

Premier Icon Beagleboy
    Subscriber

Can the axle wear out? It’s not a ‘side to side’ (inny – outy), wobble. It’s definitely an uppy downy, backy forwardy sort of wobble. 😀

Premier Icon Hobster
    Subscriber

I had a similar wobble and it was the 10mm hex pullercap not being tight when I did up the 8mm crank bolt but I am hamfisted.

Premier Icon Beagleboy
    Subscriber

Hey folks,

I recently detected a wee bit of play in my Hope Bottom Bracket (with RaceFace Evolve XC crankset), so took it to bits, replaced the bearings with new ones, lo and behold, I’ve still got the same amount of play when I grab the crank arms and give them a shoogie.

I’m certain that everything, including spacers, is fitted correctly and tightly. Any ideas? 😕

B.

Premier Icon Beagleboy
    Subscriber

Hi Hobster,

What’s this 10mm Hex Puller Cap you’re on about? All I’ve got is the 8mm crank bolt. Have I been missing something all these years? Actually, before everyone who knows me posts up pointing out the obvious, maybe I should qualify that last bit. Have I been missing something from my bottom bracket setup all these years? 😆

B. 8)

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Don’t some Raceface cranks have some sort of confusing extra spacer bullshit involved? Folks I know who have them are always fannying around with spacers trying to stop them wobbling. It’s god’s way of reminding you that you should have bought Shimano.

Premier Icon Hobster
    Subscriber

On the Raceface cranks if you look at the right hand crank there is an 8mm crank bolt that tightens the rh crank into the axle. There is also a 10mm crank puller cap that sits around the 8mm bolt so to tighten the 8mm bolt you go through the 10mm opening.

Premier Icon Beagleboy
    Subscriber

Hi Hobster,

All I can think is that my Evolve crank arms are older than yours. I’ve got nowt but the bog standard 8mm crankarm bolt for drawing everything together. 😕

Premier Icon Hobster
    Subscriber

At least it rules that out. Only other thing I can suggest is maybe taking the cranks off the bike and seeing if the wobble is in the cranks or whether its the bottom bracket.

damascus

Add a small spacer to the bb and put it back together. If it cures the wobble great, if it doesn’t, buy a shimano chainset.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mysterious Bottom Bracket Wobblies’ is closed to new replies.