Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • My weekly marathon training thread
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

3 weeks to go, I’ve got a wee chest infection, putting me out for 10 days or so, meaning I can train 2 weeks prior to the event only, having missed 3 weeks prior to that. I’m assuming last thread’s “injury” was a phantom.

Of course I’ll be well rested up when I can start training again (this weekend). I’d be scheduled to do 15 miles, intervals & a tempo run; then 10 miles and not much more the week before the event. My thoughts were to do just this, but hit it fairly hard to get my body back up to pace…sound reasonable?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bump* no runner around?

djglover
    Free Member

If it was me, I would do a 20 mile long run 2 weeks out if I had missed the preceeding weeks long running and skip either the intervals or the tempo run and just do easy running.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willard

Are you _sure_ that you’ll be up to doing 15 miles as soon as you get better from a chest infection?

Really sure?

mogrim

Might be worth doing a shorter run before your 15 mile long run, just to see how you feel? I know if I’ve got a 20km run planned I’ll end up doing 20km, however I may feel – by scheduling something shorter I’m less likely to overdo it.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’m just getting over a bout of bronchitis.

Every Wednesday I go for a thrash round a track under the eyes of a proper coach. Last week he wouldn’t let me do any intervals until I had proven that I could do a steady run.

I did a steady 12 laps and that was enough. My chest was tight and I was working too hard for a gentle session. Hoping to be better this week.

I vote for taking it easy and listening to your body!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah I’d do a steady 5m run before to see.

The timing is based on recovery from previous times (it’s prob a cold more than a chest infection)

footflaps

A marathon with stage 3 Cat Aids – you’ve got to be mad!

emsz
    Free Member

Are you aiming for a time or just complete it?

surfer
    Free Member

Bear in mind 2 weeks before a big race your training is not really putting anything “in” however you may just take “out” what you have. There is not much you can add 2 weeks to go given you are coming back from a lay off. If it was me I would do a longish run, maybe something midweek like an interval session then ease right down the last week.

(actually thats not true I would probably be running till my eyeballs pop until around 3 days before but I’m an idiot and often left my best days in training so dont do as I do do as I say)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aiming for a time emsz and trained fairly hard up to this point.

IKYM surfer but I just want to prep as well as possible – you can be too rested for a race IMO.

riklegge

Depending on whether you have covered 20+ miles previously, I would recommend a very steady 20 miler to just get a feel for the distance and to “train” your fuelling strategy. I find I can’t really process energy bars and gels very well, but it took a couple of longer runs to make me realise this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did an 18-miler a few weeks ago, this is my 5th marathon, so I’m OK with feeding.

It’s more about re-finding/awakening the form I hopefully had.

mogrim

I’d do a short run on Thursday/Friday just to check yourself out, assuming all is well do a long 15 miler on Saturday/Sunday. Next week do a couple of speed sessions to wake your legs, then maybe 8 miles next weekend, and a very short speed session sometime during the final week. Maybe go out for a 3 mile trot the day before the race.

I’m not a coach, though – so no money-back guarantees 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s pretty much my thinking – and what is in the schedule. Seems to be a consensus there then.

emsz
    Free Member

Shortish (sub10) just to make see your pace is still ok, then one more long, I worry until I’ve done a 20, then I relax. I would just do a couple of pace sessions next week and maybe a half at the weekend to wind down a bit

Good advice on here as usual

What time are you aiming for?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did my first marathon on only a 12 mile “long” run, so IDGAS!

I was aiming for sub 3 from 3:12, my training times probably aren’t good enough to suggest I’ll do this, and I missed some sessions, but as long as I PB I’ll be happy.

surfer
    Free Member

I did my first marathon on only a 12 mile “long” run,

Me too however I was doing them under 70 mins 2-3 times per week and only had 3 days notice for the race!
    Speed is important and I didnt die during the race and actually ran the last 10 in well under an hour (the first half was a bit slow though)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Quite a contrast – I’ve not run any other races bar marathons, and was running for 6 months before my first one only.

What was your time then?

surfer
    Free Member

2:45 and a bit. only decided to do it on the Thursday before cos work offered a free weekend in that there London!
    Was in super shape but just ran it steady with a few mates and planned to break 3 then have a serious crack at a later date.

Big mistake… Injury, work, family life all conspired against me having a serious crack and now I am too old 🙁
    Carpe diem and all that

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘My weekly marathon training thread’ is closed to new replies.