Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • My Vittoria tyres WTF!
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Diamate Pro, tyre explodes all the fibres visible and the bead is hanging out.
    Rubino Pro 3, Massive bulge like a snake had swallowed a small animal.
    Diamante Pro, Ditto.
    First Diamante went a while back.
    The other two on different bikes all this month.
    So no more Vittorias.
    Just stuck those super heavy weight Hardshell? on my trainer as I’ don’t give a hoot about weight on that.
    So a superfast tyre for racing. Ultremo?

deviant
    Free Member

Can’t comment on racing but I’ve got Hutchinson Atoms on mine at the moment, they have a slick tread so probably OK for racing. No problems getting them on, decent puncture resistance in the few months I’ve been using them too.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve used Vittorias(Corsa CX) and found they were a bit fragile, nothing like what your descrbing though. Same for Veloflex, both rode really really nicely mind. I’ve Ultremo ZX’x just now and after 2000 odd miles they are starting to look a wee bit cut up and I’ve recently had my first puncture, not too bad I guess for what is a race tyre. I liked the Michelin Pro Races as well, I had the 3’s in 25mm and they were lovely and added a little bit of comfort, I’ll try the pro 4’s at some point.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Vittoria’s on my CX (XN Pro) and road bike (Diamante Pro), several thousand miles between them and no explosions here.

oldgit
    Free Member

95-100 psi, 105 for circuit racing.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I had a bulgy through the threads Conti recently. No idea why.

dobo
    Free Member

ultremo zx are not durable, they are nice and fast though

bikebouy
    Free Member

What made you choose Vitts ??

oldgit
    Free Member

Dunno? First tyres I raced on were Conti’s in the 80’s. Then Vittoria seemed to do some great tyres and I stuck with them.
    Tubs prior to that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Only asking like.

I won’t go down the “try GP4’s” thread as you probably know someone on them, but try em 😉

Janesy
    Free Member

I had Diamante Pro 2’s which frankly were dangerous.
    I’m racing & training on continential Attack 2 and Force 2’s.

Germany bike 24.

Best tyres I’ve tried. Ultremo 2013 are slightly better than the 2012 ZX but only for the circuit as got cut upper try quickly.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Ultremos are good but a little bit thin..

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I love vittorias for racing and as summer tyres so I have used them a lot- mainly the 320tpi ones. I have only had good experiences with them. Some tyres hate turbos- I know veloflex will sort of melt! could it be that??

Veloflex records and latex tubes for racing on good roads I reckon. Bonty R4 aero are not bad either

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I holed a Veloflex Master 23 clincher, as in a piece of flint made a hole in the tyre carcass. Kevlar belt my arse. Other than that they’re lovely. A mate won’t go back to Vittorias after one race left his tub down to carcass. He’s on Veloflex tubs now and reports them much better.

darrell
    Free Member

i usually get about 500-700km out of a vittoria open pave

which really sucks, but damn are they good to ride on

rest of the time i use conti 4 season

oldgit
    Free Member

GP4’s as in the all weather ones, or the evergreen GP4000’s?

I only had one more race to go, then I was going to hang up the bike until next year. Or possibly make use of the tubeless rims and try the Ultremo tubeless package.

darrell
    Free Member

the all weather ones – usually last about 2500km a tyre for commuting and training

oldgit
    Free Member

Had to put a heavy old training tyre on for tonights race and it wasn’t any worse than the race tyre it replaced. In fact I had a great race, even went to the front for the win…..didn’t win though 🙄

In fact I like racing on 25c’s

fizzicist
    Free Member

I have Pro4’s because…..they were on offer.

Not as shit as the Vittoria’s

RoterStern
    Free Member

According to my LBS they have had lots of warranty issues with Ultremo.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

My rubino split down the middle after a couple of rides, couldn’t believe it, gona mail um bout it

Don’t think they’ve got ultremos right yet or have they?

Been pretty impressed with vredestien tricomp recently, not the lightest but seem to roll ok and last forever ad no punctures either

Dibbs
    Free Member

95-100 psi, 105 for circuit racing.

My Diamante Pro’s are marked Min psi 100, maybe you’re running them too soft and the sidewalls are flexing too much.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bought a cheapo Schwalbe in France last week, put it on and that has a bulge built in. WTF is going on, it just fitted on my TCR but rubs the frame on my steel bike. Not too much to ask is it… I mean to be supplied a tyre that’s round.

Crell
    Free Member

Just took 2 Corsas off. One had a bulge almost the size of a 5p in the tread which I didn’t like the look of. Not been that impressed with them. Will see how the Ultremo ZXs compare.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ultremo ZXs compare.

My next move.

scotroutes

My last (ever!) Ultremo ZX

cchris2lou

Had to put a heavy old training tyre on for tonights race and it wasn’t any worse than the race tyre it replaced. In fact I had a great race, even went to the front for the win…..didn’t win though

In fact I like racing on 25c’s

funny you say that , as most riders on this year Tour de France were riding 25 tyres .

oldgit
    Free Member

Right, what tyres don’t explode?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oldgit, been 9 months, any luck finding a tyre that doesn’t explode?

I was about to hit buy on some vittoria open corsa SC but may reconsider! Just tore a hole in an almost brand new GP4000S II so looking for a replacement (can’t really blame the tyre though as it was a razor like bit of flint.)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve been running Open Corsa SC’s all year and love them, really quick, sticky, and make a great noise when motoring along.

Pity I can’t say the same for the 3T wheels I had them on 😡

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been using Vittoria Corsa eco cx tyres for a good few years and not had any issues with them. They are a ‘race’ tyre so you can’t expect them to last forever.

jonba
    Free Member

My GP4000s have always been good as an alround tyre. Crits, hill climbs, road races and long days are all good. Even done some light offroading.

If you are going for an all out racing tyre then you need to keep a close eye on them unless you race on perfect roads.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah I may just go for another GP4000S II, in the couple of weeks I had them on they were good. Seem to be some decent deals around now too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im pro conti force/attack combo – but my last 2 sets have been shocking – with the last sets front tire lasting only 600km before cracking up all over.

the first set lasted about 2000km before i killed it on the turbo. , the middle set lasted about 1200km before the rear seemed to start picking up punctures too often.

running ultremos now.

traildog
    Free Member

Michelin Race (although I’ve not tried the latest versions). Or Continental GPs. These have both servered me ok with doing decent mileage as well.
    But I would have a set of wheels with race tyres on and a set with longer lasting training wheels. The really supple racing tyres are a bit fragile and you probably don’t gain that much in a bunch with them.

Currently trying some Hutchinson’s and they seem ok on the first few rides.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Went Conti in the end. May still get some Corsa SC tubs for racing though 🙂

sq225917
    Free Member

We sell a broad range.

Ultremos are ok for about 1000 miles, but are easily pierced.
    The various 320 tpi Vittorias are a little faster but even less puncture resistant.
    Michelin 4s are pretty solid as a lightweight.
    Conti GP4s, 4000s and Gatorskins are better if you want real puncture resistance. The hardshell Gatorskins are pretty much unbeatable as commuters.

thehustler
    Free Member

spech armadillo’s seem to be pretty puncture proof, prob not quite as light as some of the above but good long lasting tyre

richardthird

PX RageK. Especially if they’re still a tenner.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I put a Mavic Yksion Pro Griplink on my bike as an emergency last week. 350 miles later I had a puncture and the culprit…??? Thorn.? Glass.? Nope a piece of grit. Bloody grit FFS.! They are made of cheese.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘My Vittoria tyres WTF!’ is closed to new replies.