Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • My turn for a “is this a crack or a sticker” thread
  • Houns

Cleaning up my CX bike for indoor turbo trainer duties and I spot this on the inside RH fork leg, it’s about 40 mm long, I can just about feel it when run my nail over it, it doesn’t go around the leg nor is the leg deformed/bulging in any way. Bike is very under used and never been crashed so I’m hoping it’s just a scratch in the lacquer. I will take it to my lbs/Kinesis dealer when I get chance for them to look at it (not expecting owt from Kinesis, it’s 7 years old now iirc)

scotroutes

Is there any movement if you press one side of the “crack”?

tthew

That doesn’t look good, (even accounting for your terrible photography 😁) it looks like dirt has leached into the crack, which is why you can see it. Probably repairable though.

Houns

No it’s solid

Yeah its a bit hard to get camera in there and for it to focus properly.

I see Kinesis have one of their forks on sale at the moment, I’ll see what the lbs says, for now it’s confined to turbo trainer duties so no rush to sort it out

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    sockpuppet

What a well- photographed chainset! 😝

It’ll be fine for turbo duty, but I’d not ride that without some investigation. Can you rub it back a bit to see what’s underneath? Worst case is cosmetic if you find there’s nothing to it, and some tape would do a good enough job covering that for me if that’s the case.

And if you find something then I’d bin them and get new, I’d not look at repair for forks.

fettlin

is the crack in the downtube or the wheel??

tthew

Fork leg – I skimmed over that. No, you’re dead right, for the price of a pair of forks vs. the price of a repair vs. the price of a set of teeth, I’d get new forks too.

Houns

I’ve called the lbs and I’ll take it to them on Friday. Yeah no chance I’ll get it repaired, I’ll never fully trust it and Kinesis RL02 alloy forks are currently £90 which I imagine would be a fraction of a carbon repair cost

Yup the mark/crack is on (carbon) fork leg

If it is a crack I’m glad it’s happened where the white paint is, I would never have spotted it otherwise which doesn’t bear thinking about

Houns

Just to update for a bit of closure

I finally got around to removing the forks with the intention of giving them a going over with some wet and dry to remove the paint back to the carbon. I barely touched them with the paper, just enough to take the lacquer off and the scratch disappeared. I carried on and removed some of the paint just to be sure, I’m happy that it was just a scratch

Harry_the_Spider

Result. Just need to get it repainted now.😉

thepurist

Nah he can use a sticker to cover that up 😀

Houns

😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘My turn for a “is this a crack or a sticker” thread’ is closed to new replies.