Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • My thought of the day(no pics)
  • sharki
    Free Member

I’ve had a thought on just why false widow spiders are suddenly getting such bad press when we’ve been living with them for over 100 years.
    When the media puts fear in the minds of a society it’s a power that can control a market. What market could possibly profit from this other than those that provide chemicals to deal with the mass fumigation of areas where the spider has been found. Pesticides are known to be a serious factor in why bees have declined so much. Calls for a ban on certain products have probably affected sales which has a knock on effect. Have those with financial links to these big companies created this frenzy against the noble false widow spider?

The bigger picture is the ultimate goal for those that wish to control us. I’m talking about the companies that want to control what we eat, by that I mean GM foods and ultimately factory processed and even factory made food.
    To have that much power over us, it’s necessary to limit food produced naturally. To do that you need to get rid of all insects in particular the pollinators. Have you heard about the Asian hornets coming over? Yup, lets panic and kill anything that looks hornet like. Wasps, bees, hover flies, etc..

Back to the spiders then.

Ok, say those that live with the fear of Steatoda Nobilis(noble false widow spider) take steps to fumigate the place. You’ll be wiping out all spiders in that area. Spiders feed on insects, so what are you going to do with all these insects, how will the farmers, gardeners, etc deal with them?

That’s right. Let’s bung some good old chemicals at them. Chemicals that leak into the ground, the water ways and therefore into you. How often do you feel unwell, out of sorts and go to the pharmacy for a little remedy? That’s great, your investing in the same companies that are wanting to wipe out our insects.

So one organisation controls your health and where you get your food from. Now that’s power..

slackalice
    Free Member

Monsanto….

jamj1974

Sickeningly possible…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bencooper
    Free Member

Are you worried about bacteria on clothes? I wasn’t until Dettol told me I should be, now can’t stop worrying about it. Not really.

The history of deodorant is fascinating – Michael Bywater wrote very well about it. Basically it didn’t exist until companies invented it, with the brilliant marketing scam of “you smell, but no-one will tell you”.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Education of the masses is whats required. Not mass paranoia fuelled by the press with their own agenda (or one supplied by the Glaxsanto’s of the world)

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon it’s just media sensationalism. Making a story out of nothing.

olddog

If you are interested in this have a look at the affluent society by JK Galbraith – writing in lates 1950s he argues that wants are created artificially alongside new products to ensure that ever expanding productive capacity can be used profitably.

Brendan Sheehan upated this intthe economics of abunance, he basically set out how marketing linked to consume behaviour achieves this. His book is an academic text book and so £70 but he has papers on his site on academia.ac.uk that are pretty accesible

Their argument isnt that corporations are trying to make us eat food x or food y other than to maximise profits or any sort of conspiracy theory agenda about world control – but they do want us to buy more and more and new stuff. They do this by manipulating our innate behaviours through blanket marketing, and use psuedo news to do this, amongst pretty much any other route you can imagine.

Male grooming is the latest big growth area with carefully directed and targeted marketing with high tech pseudo science at one end and faux retro badger haired shaving brushes and ressurected old school shaving cream brands at the other

None of us is immune to it, so maybe best just to recognise, understand how being manipulated and enjoy theride. Personally I’m a sucker for tech and get drawn in by all the marketing driven media pseudo stories,

DezB
    Free Member

Male grooming is the latest big growth area with carefully directed and targeted marketing with high tech pseudo science at one end and faux retro badger haired shaving brushes and ressurected old school shaving cream brands at the other

STW = suckers! 😆

geoffj

None of us is immune to it, so maybe best just to recognise, understand how being manipulated and enjoy theride. Personally I’m a sucker for tech and get drawn in by all the marketing driven media pseudo stories,

I used to know a bloke who claimed he was!

kimbers

sharki i know you said no pictures but this one is appropriate

dabble
    Free Member

with the brilliant marketing scam of “you smell, but no-one will tell you”.

Plenty of people tell me 😕

olddog

It’s me and my cat! The tin foil is Luis Vuitton obviously!

olddog

… btw just becuase we’re manipulared by marketing to want more and more stuff – I think so what! I like shiny new stuff, and expensive clothes. This is where me and Brendan diverge

peterfile
    Free Member

pseudo science at one end and faux retro badger haired shaving brushes and ressurected old school shaving cream brands at the other

Which also conveniently works out cheaper than buying a Mach 5. Yeah, brilliant marketing 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

1/10

That’s a Rubbish thought

Here, let me have a go.

A sunny summer evening, the kids are playing nicely in the back garden. The wife has gone out to visit her mum without me and she employed Susanna Reid to cook, clean and iron me a work shirt. Spurs are on tele, beating Barca at the Nou Camp (natch) and my lotto numbers have just come up. Meanwhile the BBC have just announced they have found 3 lost episode of Porridge, which they will be boardcasting back to back just after Reidy has finished the hovering in one of her more risque Strictly costumes.

olddog

… maybe, but more than boots own brand perhaps. And it will not be you they are looking to make the money off, it’s those who get they new kit, get bored with the bit of extra work and go back to gillette.

The point is about creating a range of products to provide novelty that stimulates interest, often as part of a wider lifestyle marketing. I’m sure gilette has its own brands of old school products, well hidden and differentiated and/or are looking to hoover up indie brands

I was only using male grooming as an example, it’s the big new market as its getting harder in the female grooming market to introduce novelty. It could just as easily have been £300 a pair brogues, which is my weak spot, and I’d swear they are better value that your shoes 🙂

What else fits in with an expensive brogue habit… I’m sure it’s easy to come up with loads of stuff, now don’t get me stared on whisky.

On the brogue front, i went into a shoe shop in Rome and was looking at really nice pair. Shop person smiles and says, special price for spring, two thousand euros! Put down shoe, smile, edge slowly bacwards out of shop

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Education of the masses is whats required.

Right. OK. Let’s hear Plan B?

legend
    Free Member

A sunny summer evening, the kids….

You’ve fallen at the first there

slackalice
    Free Member

Loving your style Ro5ey 8)

I’ll personalise some of the details, however, your sentiment reigns 😀

Thank you for the reminder

spockrider
    Free Member

Horrible the way some big companies work but if people didn’t panic over a few insects like spiders the evil Monsanto’s wouldn’t be scouring public media for new ideas and new markets to sell their evil poisons. Farmers moaned about weeds and fungus and bees pollinate the weeds. The public moans about weeds in their seeds and scab on their fruit and most don’t care about where the food or the insects live or where they come from. If something bites, we are all encouraged to become beastie hating murderers.

Education is the way to go but as long as Bayer, Monsanto and co and revenue seeking media companies are providing the ‘need for’ evidence at universities, we got no chance of changing the publics view of what they actually are buying.

Education starts from the top down and there’s the problem, biased, commercially backed adults teaching our kids.

I wonder how many spiders we all take for a free ride and bump off in silent isolation? Best check under the seat 😳

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘My thought of the day(no pics)’ is closed to new replies.