Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • My Surly Knard 3" 29er tyre has landed
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My Knard arrived today 😀 – first impressions : weighs 940g, heavier than hoped for, but in the region that others are getting, and 600g lighter than my Nate!!! size : looks a bit smaller than expected :/ OK – I’ve only got it on a 35mm Rim at the moment so it measures 67.5mm on the casing and 73mm across the tread. No doubt it will spread a little more when my 50mm Rabbit Hole rim arrives.

Just got back from my first ride – this tyre ROCKS ;D I ran it at 14psi, and felt some squirm in fast sharp corners, but nothing I’m not used to with fat tyres 😉 I’m hoping I can run it at 13 or 12psi on a 50mm rim. I think this tyre really brings out the best in my Jones -it’s super agile with some nice cush and grip – the ride felt like a riot!

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. Did you get it from Jeff directly or is there somewhere in the UK that has them?

Where were you riding?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I got it from singlespeedcentral.nl . I really think the Jones is made for these tyres. I hope Jeff makes a frame that will take a Knard front and back.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrTall
    Free Member

I am currently talking myself into a Krampus and spent today speccing up the build in my head.
    I shall be ringing The Bikemonger tomorrow to see what the eta is on the rolling chassis deals.

Seems a decent half way house to me as the play bike 36er I’d briefly looked into would be too expensive to justify and the Krampus looks far more useable in the real world.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Have to say the knard interests me more than full fat, just seems bit more useable? That’s possibly my own misconception of fat though.

EDIT: Do they fit in niner forks? Seen a few threads but no definitive answer

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m Krampus curious also but finding myself put off by the weight (a 29″ Hans Dampf was heavy enough I thought … I took it off). Though I can see how perhaps that’s less of an issue with big shire-horse type people used to putting out power. (CTBM’s quite a big guy isn’t he)

Anyway I ought to try one. Hopefully at SSUK.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Where were you riding?

Stanmer Park and the South Downs. On the South Downs the tyre felt OK, there was a gale force cross wind which didn’t help, the tyre really came to life in the twisty, muddy, rooty fun that is Stanmer Park 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s interesting as I imagine these fat tyres come into their own in the rooty stuff.

Fontmoss – vague and different fork but based on my shonky measurements the other night a knard on a p35 will just about fit in a swift fork.Mud clearance will be tight though.

takisawa2

Lighter than I thought it would be. Kenda Nev is about 850g.
    Can’t wait to have a go on a Krampus.

(Swift fork is all but identical to the Niner steel fork).

fontmoss
    Free Member

Clearance tight at the top? Maybe on a rabbit hole it will sit lower and be ok? Hmmm that would be fun

Stoner
    Free Member

fontmoss – my calculations on the idea here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/jones-pron/page/5#post-4364103

fontmoss
    Free Member

Hmm so prob wont work with a niner?

Gotama
    Free Member

For the ignorant is standard front hub spacing 100mm as per stoner’s old jones fork?

Stoner
    Free Member

Make a piece of cardboard 77mm x 779mm and rest it on a QR skewer in the fork legs. See if it passes the crown…..

EDIT: yes, 100mm is normal.

fat-oddness is 135mm.

Rear normal is 135mm for MTB, 130mm for Road.

There’s also now wider rear ones like 142mm(?) I think, but Im not gnar enough to know.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I dont own a niner fork was just thinking about a knard with niner later in the year

Gotama
    Free Member

Judging by that dutch website it is one expensive tyre though, about £110 based on the current fx rate.

Wonder when we’ll get the krampus fork sold separately as it seems to be on the surly website. Could work nicely on some frames provided it doesn’t screw up the geometry.

fontmoss
    Free Member

How’s the knard? Did you have to pay any taxes etc ordering from singlespeed? I don’t see anywhere in the UK that have rabbit holes or knards in stock?

charliedontsurf

You should find a Knard 29+ will fit in many rigid forks, you will need at least a 35mm rim, but it should be a cool option for the front end of many rigid 29ers. I am told it’s cool on a monkey fork.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Charlie, I feel like I’m chasing you across threads! Do you do 0% finance?

andyh2
    Free Member

FM – no import taxes or VAT due on goods from EU countries

fontmoss
    Free Member

Ta andy

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

How’s the knard? Did you have to pay any taxes etc ordering from singlespeed? I don’t see anywhere in the UK that have rabbit holes or knards in stock?

Not much more to add to my review in the OP really – My fat wheel has not been back on the bike – which says it all really 😀 I do find that I forget it’s not a full fat tyre, and I can’t rely on the steamroller effect, and as the Knard is much quicker i can get into trouble – more skills needed!

I never really felt happy with the normal 29er front wheel, now I find the Knard is a real alternative to a fat tyre – YMMV

flyingmm

Anyone know if you can also squeeze one on the back of an ogre?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘My Surly Knard 3" 29er tyre has landed’ is closed to new replies.