Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 353 total)
  • My Superstar Components I850 Seatpost
  • fejling
    Free Member

Now I'll happily admit that I may have got a dud one but this is my experience of the I850 Seatpost…

I'd had my eye on a gravity dropper for a while but was a little shocked by the price, then I heard about the Superstar Components I850 Seatpost, and for £60 I figured it was well worth a try.

Seatpost arrived and I gave it a go before fitting it onto my bike, it seemed rather stiff to move but I put this down to the fact I was doing it by hand rather than with all my weight sat on it. Fitted to bike and it now refused to budge at all.

Emailed Superstar and they came back with…

"Rather than sending it back which would just incur costs for us both you should service it"

Not the "we will send you a replacement" that I was expecting.

Anyway I followed the instructions they sent and regreased the thing, it then worked as well as when it first arrived i.e. stiff as hell to move but figured that after a couple of rides it may ease up a bit.

So my first ride with it I'm up in the Clwyds at the top of the first descent, pull the lever…nothing…it had jammed solid again, however I found that excessive swearing while angrily bouncing up and down on the thing that must have looked to passers by like I was trying to get my saddle up my arse managed to free it up a little and I got it to descend. It worked brilliantly for the whole descent then at the bottom I thought I would cycle it through it's up and down positions a few times to loosen it up, this required more bouncy swearing.

I didn't even bother trying it again until the last descent when no amount of bouncing would free it up again. Not impressed.

I didn't email Superstar back, after their last response I can't be fecked to deal with them, I just put it down to experience, plus I got the small satisfaction of throwing the thing down the garden, kicking it about a bit and then binning it. Buy shite buy twice as they say.

I now have a gravity dropper, it's superb.

clubber
    Free Member

That does sound pretty p!ss poor…

druidh
    Free Member

* feigns surprise *

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

"Rather than sending it back which would just incur costs for us both you should service it"

Classic superstar. Wrong in law. Sending back faulty products bought by mail order is at the retailers expense.

trailmonkey

You should have demanded a refund. I had 2 of the i900 posts which refused to work properly. First time they replaced it, second time I demanded a refund.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I'm really surprised at that attitude, I've had nothing but joy and wonderful service from Superstar…….. and then I woke up.

I can't believe the cocky little get is still in business.

chakaping
    Free Member

I didn't email Superstar back, after their last response I can't be fecked to deal with them, I just put it down to experience,

An odd attitude to take after spending £60 and being fobbed off.

trail_rat
    Free Member

epic fail – another great service story for fruitloop

richc
    Free Member

is that true TJ? as when I had 3 sets of faulty wheels, I ended up stumping up each time for postage (which was £12 a go) which ended up being a pain.

The mail order company (not superstar) told me thats just how it is, and one of the hidden costs of buying mail order.

Oh yeah as for the i850 post, I have read about trouble getting it moving apparently there is a knack to it, read here:

Sette Ryde ST-850 Seatpost Reviewed

If you aren't going to keep the post how much do you want for it as I wouldn't mind having a look at one especially if its cheap 😉

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

* feigns surprise *

<joins the Greek chorus intoning, "No… really?!">

Stoner
    Free Member

An odd attitude to take after spending £60 and being fobbed off.

not really. Depends on whether the ball ache of extracting that £60 out of SSC is worth … £60 or not.

trailmonkey

yeah, but you could at least try once

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Richc – perhaps not clear cut as that but fairly clear. Sale of goods act and distance selling regulations are onerous on retailers and they often try to wriggle out of their obligations.Government advice on this

Q4. Do I have to pay to return the goods?

When consumers exercise their right to cancel they are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods and to “restore” them to the supplier. The term “restore” does not permit the supplier to demand that the consumer send back or deliver the goods, but only that the goods are made available to the supplier for collection.

The Regulations permit the supplier to include in the contract a term requiring the consumer to return the goods to the supplier at their own cost. The supplier may charge for the direct costs of recovering the goods if, on request, the consumer does not return them; this must not be more than the direct costs of recovery, such as postage or, for larger items, the cost of a van collection. Once the consumer has cancelled the order all money paid must be returned within 30 days of the date of cancellation.

The business is not entitled to charge for recovery of the goods if the consumer also has a statutory right to cancel the contract under other legislation, (for example because they are defective) or if the term requiring the consumer to return the goods is an ‘‘unfair term’’ within the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 and The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts (Amendment) Regulations 2001.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38102.html#Q4DoIhavetopaytoreturnthegoods

Smee
    Free Member

Well – you learn something every day. When did that change then?

STATO
    Free Member

The 'i850' is just the Sette Ryde ST-850 that pricepoint in the U.S were knocking out for $30. There are loads of reviews/comments on the web about that post and how you get it to work (just bouncing up and down on it wont work).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Goan – explain why considering the advice from the government posted above?

Its a basic concept that you should not end up out of pocket if someone else does not fufil their side of the contract – and the contract is that you pay money and the rettailer supplies goods in working order.

rolfharris
    Free Member

We all know by now that Superstar are horrible at dealing with people- rude and often legally wrong.

I don't know how many times I'll have to say it, but DO NOT BUY FROM SUPERSTAR. He'll screw you over, and his products WILL fail the majority of times.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Does anyone know of any servicing instruction for the ST-850/i850? I've had my Sette Ryde ST-850 for a while now and think its about time it got a clean and re-grease.

tangobravo
    Free Member

I had one of these posts from superstar and the email he sent to me solved the problems. It just needed a little jiggle and it worked fine. Also the bottom of the email says if this doesnt work send it back and we will have a look

Whats the problems with that???? He is trying to save you the hassle of sending it back, and gives you the option of sending it back if it doesnt work.

Whats all this threats of leagal crap, cant you bloody read? Smells of trolls to me, its the same superstar bashing crew as always just changing their names using the STW loophole by the sounds of it.

Nip

tangobravo
    Free Member

What a surprise a first post ever from a new user name, being used to bash Superstar on STW.

TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT ************TROLL ALERT

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tango. SSC told the customer he would have to pay to have the faulty post returned which is wrong in law as per the quote above.

Many other examples of SSC doing their best to ignore consumer law have been seen ( but prattling on about it all is both pointlesss and dull) but I note the unfair terms and conditions in breach of the law that were on his website have now disappeared.

BTW tangobrave – you have been outed. Have a look on the shedfire / SSC conspiracy thread

Pook

I've never had a problem with SSC – and he was v helpful at Hit the North when i needed something doing quickly.

Just to provide the other side of the argument.

* these comments may be revised if TangoBravo is shown as Fruit. Poor show.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

its the same superstar bashing crew as always just changing their names

To be honest I've never 'bashed' superstar but I can't help but feel a strong sense of deja vu every time a thread about their stuff comes up.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sootyandjim – Member

Does anyone know of any servicing instruction for the ST-850/i850? I've had my Sette Ryde ST-850 for a while now and think its about time it got a clean and re-grease.

you've changed man :SHAKES HEAD:

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm see the other thread – looks quite possible that TangoBravo is Neil from SSC in disguise…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Fruit, you're doing a great job of loosing any potential superstar customers.

richc
    Free Member

if thats the case, what a muppet 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto. I've bought from SSC in the past and had no problem but posing as someone else is straightforward dishonest from a business so I defintely won't buy anything there again now. 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

so thats why tangobravo was slagging on one off yesterday …..tool

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

looks quite possible that TangoBravo is Neil from SSC in disguise…

What a douchebag.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Having bought from SSC in the past and been prepared to buy again. With the "unusual" contributions Tangobravo/Fruit has made I don't think I will be buying again.

Will the real Fruit please stand up?

sc-xc

Well, I did buy some pads off SSC before – both face to face and online. However, after this (tango/fruit) I will never buy anything from that idiot again. Unlucky Fruit, but you are losing customers.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So Fruit is Tango and he's whinging about trolling? Aren't multiple logons a banning offence?

Remember, buy SCC pay twice.

Oh the irony…. Fruitnut/tango/nip wrote..Smells of trolls to me, its the same superstar bashing crew as always just changing their names using the STW loophole by the sounds of it.

Drac

WTF?

Well another supporter of SSC here pads have been great but if TB is Fruit and he's coming on here posting acquisitions about other manufacturers and acting childish when some one complains about a product then I too will think twice about buying from them again.

WackoAK
    Free Member

oh dear, poor show.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I feel perfectly within my rights to repeatedly bash him- I've never been treated so badly as a customer. Ever, in anything, bikes or otherwise.

Glad to see that what goes around comes around.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Probably worth saving this thread before it gets deleted….

So Mark, when are you going to ban him for multiple logons and trolling? Or is he ok because of the advertising? Time to show that you really are impartial and fair?

Stoner
    Free Member

already saved since the other threads started evaporating

FuzzyWuzzy

Heh nice, I was going to defend SSC's service but can't be bothered now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 353 total)

The topic ‘My Superstar Components I850 Seatpost’ is closed to new replies.