Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • My son has decided my cove stiffee is the bike for him….so what new hardtail?
  • moniex
    Free Member

My 12 year old has decided that now his on one scandal 14″ is getting a little small, my 15.5″ cove stiffee is perfect. He rode it today and loves it.

Now I can either buy another cove stiffee frame, or treat myself to something new.

I love the stiffee, being a girl I think the relatively short top tube is great. It fits me perfectly, I am 5’5″ and have about a 30-31″ inside leg. I like how responsive it is and it’s playful too. I can go for longer rides on it as well.

Anything else I may like as much? Seems daft to buy two bikes the same.

Simone

colournoise

In the grand STW tradition of recommending what you ride, how about an XS BFe?

I’m 5’6″ and it’s a great ‘do anything’ bike for me. Short enough to play on, long enough to ride all day.

RealMan
    Free Member

Whatever you get, get your name painted/stickered on it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoseyMTB
    Free Member

5ft7 and I had a small BFE and loved it. If you can pick up an older frame it should be perfect.

tomhoward

I love the stiffee, being a girl

*cough* fnar fnar.

Being serious, another one? If it ain’t broke….

mk1fan
    Free Member

I have a small Stiffee lying around waiting to be put on ebay. Feel free to pm.

moniex
    Free Member

To be honest, the name kinda made me buy one. Powder coated it purple years before cove thought of it ;0).

Still though, have 2 of the same bikes in the shed? In the same size? Seems a little daft.

I am considering a bfe, suspecting I may be in between sizes.

Had an orange 5 for a while in 16″ and top tube was too long for me, 14″ was too small. Thinking the bfe may be the same?

Simone

pebble
    Free Member

Having the same issue with my lad who is 12 on Friday – he wants my 18″ 2002 Kona Explosif though being 5ft 9″.

I have a 14″ 2002 Kona Explosif that he has outgrown if that is any good

Failing that Winstanleys have a 15.5″ Cove at a good price.

slackalice
    Free Member

Time for an upgrade maybe? Hummer. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still though, have 2 of the same bikes in the shed? In the same size? Seems a little daft.

Not getting that….

mk1fan
    Free Member

I have two Handjobs. Can’t see an issue myself.

jonxmack
    Free Member

One handjob is usually enough for me but fair play mate!

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve had a few small hardtails, currently on a Santa Cruz Chameleon which I love for its versatility. Mine’s the smallest size and being only 5’9″ with short legs I can use it for jumping but still have enough post for pedalling. If I didn’t jump it I’d have the next size up. I would say in order of fun-ness for me they go:

Charge Blender
    Chameleon (though is more versatile than the Blender due to front mech stopper and a steeper seat angle)
    DMR Trailstar
    Cotic BFe

I liked the BFe the least as it just wasn’t as playful as the others. Nice frame but not for me. I love Santa Cruz bikes, the shorter wheelbase and top tube than most makes them really fun to ride.

Oh and because it’s STW law to post a picture of your bike when you recommend it, here’s mine at the minute

Scapegoat

No reason not to get the same bike as your lad, mine wanted a Soul after I built mine. Just make sure yours has better kit on it to ensure he knows his place. 😈

ska-49
    Free Member

Kona Explosif 650B. Ignore the wheel size. Go test it. Great geometry for all day riding but also fun descending. Happily done 50 mile rides and then the next day some DH runs at Gawton.

parkesie
    Free Member

2 hand jobs? No wonder you cant see. 🙂

moniex
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations, I am considering perhaps the Santa Cruz, or bfe. I do seem to be I between sizes though on some bikes. 14″ usually to small (legs too long, seat post looking far too long and the smaller the bike the bigger I look!), 16″ usually too big (mostly too long in the top tube, but depends on the bike).

I suppose ideal is 15″ with short ish top tube.

May get another stiffee, but I like the idea of being able to swap and in fact kinda have a choice of 2 hardtails.

Cheers,

Simone

dropoff

Mike @ Dialled bikes is currently taking pre-orders for the new MK3 Alpine – may be worth a look (from a fellow Stiffee owner, who’s just ordered one)

mk1fan
    Free Member

There is a 15.5-inch Handjob on ebay at the moment. Best with a 120mm fork (imo). Not as robust as the Stiffee but just as much fun.

_tom_
    Free Member

You should be ok on a 16″ santa cruz then, they’re known for being short on the top tube for their size.

mrelectric

You’ve done your bit by getting him into MTB, My four sons do commutes only, so far. That’s when they’re not a skateboard!

waller
    Free Member

A small chameleon sounds perfect 🙂

moniex
    Free Member

That Santa Cruz does look lovely, if I buy used what should I look out for?

Simone

waller
    Free Member

No dents and I would go with the standard type of bottom bracket and not the eccentric bottom bracket type personally. Check the threads too. Brilliant frame and generally bullit proof.

waller
    Free Member

Up to 2007 I think will still have canti bosses.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘My son has decided my cove stiffee is the bike for him….so what new hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.