Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 589 total)
  • My Sick! experance
  • jjprestidge
    Free Member

They seem to be all over the place – one minute they’re building one thing, the next it’s something completely different, and none of it ever seems to make it to the ‘delivering bike to the customer’ stage.

They’re pretty good at marketing, though.

JP

tomhoward

The best marketing is word of mouth/recommendations from outside the company, from this thread we have 3 unhappy customers and one who say he wouldn’t buy from them again. No one on here who has bought a frame from them has had anything good to say about the company. There was a thread a while back from a guy who had built one up who seemed very happy with it, but he’s only ever posted on that (his own) thread, draw your own conclusions…

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sick-bicycle-co-og-gnarcissist-year-one-ltd/

The more I see of them, the more I think they are using the ‘bikes’ as a marketing vehicle to sell the pocket money items to kids, they’ll have a go at making bikes, cause it’s a laugh and brings traffic, but I wouldn’t take them seriously, if you want a bike like theirs, go to the people that make them on their behalf, Marino, rideworks, FTW etc and get exactly what you want. I get the impression that once you get to a stage where you can afford a bike/frame of theirs, you are no longer the target market.

Perception is reality etc

nuke

Not converting that to sales though…sort of basic thing you’d expect a business to want to do. Although maybe really they’re just a clothing business that dabbles in the odd custom bike frame to give them the credibility of an actual bike company…clever marketing that 👊

Impressive how they got 25k Instagram followers for such a young company… doing something right as roughly double Cotic, Stanton and the like

Matt_SS_xc

Following the surf industry model?
    Almost all the major surfbrands sell he off board etc… But not in big quantity, it’s just to give their clothes brand credibility.

tomhoward

Not converting that to sales though…

Not bike sales. A mate once asked on SM if they had a pic of a FS frame built up, as he was interested in buying, they told him something along the lines of ‘no, but it looks like a bike, duh’. He bought a cotic flare max. And a sick T-shirt. Their social media is full of comments of ‘you guys are ace, wish I could afford a frame, sadly I can’t but bought a (T-shirt, grips, gloves) instead…

philxx1975
    Free Member

. I get the impression that once you get to a stage where you can afford a bike/frame of theirs, you are no longer the target market.

So puberty then.

Impressive how they got 25k Instagram

But can only sell half a dozen frames and never deliver , yes sir that’s impressive.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Tom,

May I ask how you know how many units Sick ship per month? Frame wise?

Seems like you know a huge amount about their profit and loss account.

tomhoward

Oh I don’t, it just how the operation comes across imo, care to correct me?

jmatlock
    Free Member

But you speak with such conviction about how it’s such a poorly run business. And how they don’t sell any frames. I assumed you had actual numbers and facts to back it up.

tomhoward

I never said they didn’t sell any? 300 odd isn’t it?

As for poorly run, I don’t even think that, I just think the bikes come second to the T-shirt’s etc, meaning people hand over a lot of money, and don’t get what they expect or hope for. Some do, but not everyone.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

James you work for Sick why dont you tell us? 😀

jam-bo

Like a moth to a flame.

#haters

jmatlock
    Free Member

I actually don’t work ‘for’ Sick. I do a lot of freelance stuff for them. So anything I say isn’t me speaking on behalf of them. I’m not an employee. They have always paid my invoices on time, I know of well over 100 customers who are currently riding a Sick bike. And happy with their purchase. It’s a company in its infancy that has made a lot of mistakes and grown quicker than it expected.

Like any industry early adopters have had a rough time. Mega long lead times and often a lack of answers and updates. A lot of that is a resource thing.

The three directors may be divisive characters but everyone involved gives a shit about making it work; we have had countless 2/3am WhatsApp and phone conversations about stuff.

The customer service inbox gets probably between 50 and 100 emails a day. So the response times are no where near where they would like it to be.

I don’t think they have ever claimed that their customer service is good, only that’s it’s improving.

The bikes ride well, that’s the hardest part to get right. Many long standing bike companies haven’t cracked that yet.

I’m sure all the other stuff will follow along.

akira

They seem a bit to gnar and rad and photo opportunity for me, i wish them the best as a new company but seen various exchanges where being polite isn’t evident never mind customer relations. Not sure I have the time for a company who only wants a certain type of customer by their own admission. Treating potential customers badly then excusing it by being gnarly and rad doesn’t really do it for me.

bigyim
    Free Member

To play devils advocate a bit, they obviously care. If they didn’t care they wouldn’t be reading this.
    I think the problem is their passion is biking and not logistics. If I set up a bike company I’d imagine it’s a steep learning curve and there is a lot to get your head around. At least they have the balls to try and have a go and aren’t sat in a job they hate moaning about it and not trying to get out the rat race.
    I hope my frame comes, if it comes late I’m fine with that as long as they tell me it’s going to be late and the reason why.
    I don’t quite see why they have burnt the bridges with this forum, it seems both sides hold grudges

philxx1975
    Free Member

Many long standing bike companies haven’t cracked that yet.

No of course they haven’t 🤣.

I never said they didn’t sell any? 300 odd isn’t it?

How many frames get sold out of the grand total?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10621767/filing-history

Next year should show this massive growth.

albo

Some of you clearly have a problem with the company. It’s quite odd and, to be honest, a little disturbing to read so many negative comments and opinions about a new mountain bike company who are obviously trying to do a good job.

This forum can be a strange place sometimes, and I’m glad it’s not representative of the UK scene.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Some of you clearly have a problem with the company.

They don’t really help themselves at times. I like the look of the bikes. Shame I’m not needing a bike like that as that isn’t my kind of riding. On the other hand they do have a habit of kicking off..
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sick-bikes-and-welding/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the UK scene.

🤣

singlespeedstu

I actually don’t work ‘for’ Sick.

Thanks for the info.
    Explains some of your posts on here.

tomhoward

it’s not representative of the UK scene

What’s that then?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Impressive how they got 25k Instagram followers for such a young company… doing something right as roughly double Cotic, Stanton and the like

Instagram followers really help Soho Bikes out didn’t they!

doom_mountain

Surprised no one from Sick has jumped on this thread, they’re normally far more entertaining.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m concerned that I’m drifting into old fart territory here but is your number of Instagram followers now a concrete achievement? How much money does that number of followers earn you?

scottfitz
    Free Member

This is by far the worst Sick post on STW so far, zero drama, boring!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

To be fair to them maybe they are simply not stirring things up needlessly with an audience they have decided is not theirs.
    They do seem to be quiet on all social media at the moment. Lucky buggers are probably off snowboarding.

matt_outandabout

I just read the other Sick(!)* thread. What an odd thread and owner of Sick(!)*
    *Do I have to put an exclamation mark? Might it be better as Sickexclamationmark?

stevied
    Free Member

Sickexclamationmark

It’s a Sick-sclamation mark (!) 😉

sirromj

After skimming this thread, I might actually might buy one of their t-shirts…
    …I hope they send it.

mashr

They do seem to be quiet on all social media at the moment.

“We only check Facebook once a week” – bit odd for a company like that

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Instagram followers really help Soho Bikes out didn’t they

I was under the impression, having hung out with those guys, that they were doing pretty well.

It’s just that the owner couldn’t be arsed anymore.

Still the best bike shop I’ve ever used, the guys were genuinely lovely and hugely knowledable. Mario the mechanic is now at Look Mum No Hands, I’d recommend any of them.

tomhoward

an audience they have decided is not theirs.

Why do they keep sending the press releases then?

scottfitz
    Free Member

an audience they have decided is not theirs.

I am a regular STW type and also own a Sick.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Although maybe really they’re just a clothing business that dabbles in the odd custom bike frame to give them the credibility of an actual bike company…

I looked at frames (eventually) on their site off the back of this thread title as i remembered they had a number of nice hardtail options last time i was “not spending any money”.

On mobile i could only actually find the frames via the site map/navigation links at the bottom of the page, lots of big links to t shirts accessories and the like though.

Not much HT selection now either, several FS frames but looking at the range I’d have said it’s a different company from the one whose frames i looked at 8 months ago.

sirromj

Why do they keep sending the press releases then?

For the big hitters.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

We need a photo of your Sick in front of your logburner with a T5 visible through the window before we’ll believe that. (Oh and a copy of today’s front page of The Guardian in shot too…)

nuke

Yes but running your own enduro series kind of negates the huge drag factor of being a stw type 😀

hatter

It’s just that the owner couldn’t be arsed anymore.

From what I recall at the time, their landlord decided to lump them with a humongous rent-hike, so much so that the work/reward ratio for the owner no longer made sense.

Common story in London, very much viable businesses killed stone dead by sudden crippling rent hikes from greedy landlords, Brixton cycles are currently facing a similar situation.

Madness

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I think the bushiness rates have gone up massively in London due to conservative policy, I seem to remember something about big cities getting hit hard to offset a reduction in small towns.

I could be wrong about that though as the article I read was a long time ago.

A real shame, because getting a coffee in Soho bikes and talking to other riders was a really good pick me up during the week when I was working in central.

I think it’s madness as well, insane rents and business rates for small players yet they can’t be arsed to go for the big evaders like Amazon – and furthermore seem to up the rates for small players and high street based businesses.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is it just me (browsing from elsewhere so possibly a localisation thing) or has their website “gone” with a contact email that’s at a wholly different domain shown?

I was looking for that awful stem too 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 589 total)

The topic ‘My Sick! experance’ is closed to new replies.