Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • My riding tops are stinking – what to wash them with?
  • Vortexracing

For some reason my riding tops,(mainly road ones)are stinking this year, even after washing.

Do they get to a point where they will always stink after washing?

They are washed in normal detergent stuff like, daz etc.

Any recommendations for a way of getting them back to a flowery/sunshine/fresh smell?

ta

dave

weeksy

min end up in the bin…. i can’t get them to remain unsmelly after a certain time period.

fathomer

Halo Sports Wash has worked for me, though I’m sure there’s something cheaper 😀

Edit: this stuff: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-proactive-sports-wash-laundry-detergent-1-litre/

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

just washing powder…maybe wash ’em more frequently, ya dirty bastard!

discoduck
    Free Member

You can mask the smell with some Gaylord softener but as soon as they get on the skin and warm up then your nostrils will be full of the smell again,

I’m guessing you have worn them for more than 1 ride before washing, and they are man made fibre ones ?
    There isn’t a lot you can do for them I’m afraid its a problem with the fibre being man made.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Halo sports wash. Works a treat. You’ll soon be back to using them several times before washing.

Vortexracing

yip man made fibres and washed after every ride.

maybe wash ’em more frequently, ya dirty bastard

the only way to do that is to ride via a laundrette and have a mid ride wash and tumble dry 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nappy san
    If you [ or the wife] are about tomorrow at swimming I can give you some as it is dear to get so you can try it.
    Mail or text me

Might work – i always wash my cycling stuff in it and it stops this happening. I assume it will remove it as well

This has happened to my running tops, but not my cycling ones. Do you wear an undershirt? Might make a difference.

Try a hotter wash?

binners

Vortexracing

cheers junkyard i’ll txt you

chiefgrooveguru

I tried white vinegar on a very smelly Helly a couple of weeks ago and it saved it from the bin! Spot treatment in the suspect areas.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for halo (far cheeper from sainsburys), or napisan.

Or a couple of capfulls of Detol, handwash and soak overnight before wahsing properly, but that tends to make you stink like a hospital instead.

Sandwich

Plus one for Napisan.

Murray

Halo rescued my 20 year old smelly Hellys

sugdenr
    Free Member

And dry them on the line in the sun, sun and air seems to help somehow

Vortexracing

And dry them on the line in the sun

She has been doing, I don’t want to be using electric if i don’t have to 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

sugdenr – Member

And dry them on the line in the sun, sun and air seems to help somehow

^^iirc many of the bacteria that linger on your clean clothes (and make them smell again once warm and wet) are killed off by UV light.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 for Nappysan.

However, Hydrogen peroxide put in the drum in one of those plastic balls works even better. It’s a natural bleach and kills the bacteria that causes the stink.

Available on ebay in a 5L drum for about £10, it only takes about 50ml per wash if you use the strong stuff.

tonyd

I tried soaking everything in bicarbonate of soda once. It got rid of the smell but all the reflective bits went a bit funny and non-reflective. Fine for MTB kit but this was my commuting kit also so beware!

jonba
    Free Member

If you only do it occasionally you can get away with a >60°C wash on smelly hansens and similar clothes. This should kill things off and is worth a shot if you are preparing to bin them.

UV light thing makes sense too so maybe hanging them out could work.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just been Googling Halo, special offer in Sainsburys at the moment £2.99 per litre, (Wiggle want £5.36).

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

the only way to do that is to ride via a launderette and have a mid ride wash and tumble dry

Hmmm…a mid-ride launderette you say. I like it! Now, to polish my pitch for The Den…

richmtb

I’ve got a Helly Base layer that really pongs after an hour on the bike.

I’m considering binning it its that bad.

I’ll have to give the Halo sports wash a try

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i find that a wash in biological washing powder removes the special ‘man made fibre + sweat’ stink.

just make sure you dont do it to merino!

gazc
    Free Member

if you are washing at 30/40 maybe could try a higher temp wash. sometimes my bike kit comes out smelling like wet dogs if i’ve accidentally left it at 30deg (and a few days still in the machine after the wash 😳 )

nixie

I tend to Milton mine if they get smelly, well I used too, have now bought merino tops which so far has solved the problem.

damascus
    Free Member

Plus 1 for Milton. Seemed to work a treat.

mike_p
    Free Member

+1 for Milton, I use it on my tri wetsuit and it doesn’t half make a difference!

avdave2

I can wear the same base layer and commute all week and it gets washed once a week with no problems. That’s been in use for 6 or 7 years. Not as impressive as a friend who used one pair of socks for our 3 week interail trip without any hint of a bad smell.

mangatank
    Free Member

Bin and replace with merino.

richmtb

I think the poly-prop base layers keep you dryer when its warm.

But yes merino is good for most of the year

jools182
    Free Member

white vinegar, dear

sv

+1

mangatank
    Free Member

I think the poly-prop base layers keep you dryer when its warm.

That’s definitely true. Merino is magical though. Revoltingly I only wash mine every 4 or 5 rides and they never smell. I never seem to get too hot either, despite wearing merino all year round.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The two suggestions for white vinegar are spot on – just put your kit in the washing machine, 30deg (as the labels say) wash and put a regular dose of your coloured washing liquid in the ball with a splash of white vinegar. Works an absolute treat and it’s cheap / natural too.

I do this after every ride, having binned manmade fibre jerseys because of the pong. Try it – it’s basically the clear stuff from the supermarket, or you can get huge, cheap bottles of it from Chinese supermarkets. It’s also called distilled vinegar. Don’t do it was Sarsons pickling vinegar though… 😯

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Bought some of the Halo Sports Wash which was on offer at Sainsbury’s. It worked a treat so thanks for the suggestion.

Before giving it a try, I emailed Intrepid Apparel who I had bought the jersey from (it was the only one that really stunk). I asked them if they had any suggestions of their own and this is what i got back…

Unfortunately I’ve never come across this problem before.

I have been riding in my jersey for 2 years and yes its not new fresh but there is no offending smell.

I suggest no onions and garlic the night before a ride.

Kind regards

Top service!

smiffy

Wash with soda, not detergent, works really well on bike and farm gear.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘My riding tops are stinking – what to wash them with?’ is closed to new replies.