Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • My retro dream bike – Raven 4000
  • psychle
    Free Member

The amount of time I spent drooling over one these at my LBS back in the 90’s…

This one could be mine for EUR2500…

It won’t be though, no way I could sneak this one past my long-suffering wife!

What’s your ‘dream bike’ from ‘back in the day’?

neil853
    Free Member

Probably something from fat chance or Ibis, they so far out of my reach when I was 13/14, I could only dream 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

It won’t be though, no way I could sneak this one past my long-suffering wife!

If that was/is your dream bike, and you’ve physically got the cash, MTFU and buy it. Don’t let other people get in the way of your dreams.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Corratec TeamBow

Proper gorgeous 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

If that was/is your dream bike, and you’ve physically got the cash, MTFU and buy it. Don’t let other people get in the way of your dreams.

Are you married RealMan?

RealMan
    Free Member

No, but I do have testicles.

racefaceec90

either one of these or one of these not strictly the retro one but still 😀

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Pace 200

Blower
    Free Member

mmm Klein..

i liked the gt lts

pace

P20

I prefered the Mk1 Raven, looked better IMO. I am biased though, i owned one BITD and had another one last year.

Windy Raven by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Shadow by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

The only bikes i would want now from BITD would be a Ritchey Softtail or a Plexus

AlasdairMc

GT STS with Spinergy wheels and Judy SLs

sofatester
    Free Member

No, but I do have testicles.

Good answer. I think married men must have them removed during the honeymoon.

Mr Bishop sums it up nicely at 34sec:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9yAJKcIVxk[/video]

TheSwede
    Free Member

My dream bike when I was a kid. Not that exotic my hero had one.
    http://www.gregterzian.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/freestyler_original.jpg

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Chas Roberts d.o.g.s.b.o.l.x

DezB
    Free Member

Have you ridden a Raven psychle? They really are good. My mate had a couple of them – I used one on the inaugural Big Bike Bash as I was building it up for him. Loved it. His one had a proprietary rear shock, that Fox stopped making – the one in your pic looks different. Very nice.

Merkin titaniums were the bikes I lusted after.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CR7

frank4short
    Free Member

I started mtbing around when i was 12/13 about 1989/90. I spent the majority of my teenage years lusting after bikes in magazines i would never afford to own Klein Adroits and Attitudes, GT Zaskars, even my mate with the rich parents Pacific that was all XT2 but by far & ahead i’d say the bike the impressed me most was a Brodie I saw at a race in 1990/91. Some Irish guys who’d been living in Germany & working in a bike shop came home for a holiday & to do a race. One had an Attitude, one had a Brodie. They both weighed maybe 23-24lbs back when sub 30lbs was light & sub 26lbs was in the realm of the gods. It was a vision in red & white contrast paint job. Cooks Brothers Cranks, Grafton brakes, Ringle hubs & skewers. Stuff we’d only ever seen in magazines. If i saw that bike for sale tomorrow & i had the money I’d jump at it without a moments hesitation.

Dobbo

Is this the “ugly bike” thread renamed?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would LOVE a GT LOBO. I think they look fantastic never ridden one tho.

tazzymtb

amplebrew

I always wanted either a Zinn Centaur or a GT Xizang.

joolsburger
    Free Member

That Raven really is a lovely bike. I’d be more than happy to be riding around on it.

lovell
    Free Member

I used to sell Ravens and Paces, wish the Yorkshire boys still did a proper square bike

captain_bastard
    Free Member

not sure if anyone would be interested – but my brother has a raven he’s looking to sell.

it’s been in my spare room for, well at least two house moves (so 10 years ish

had a Bounce around on it the other day, frame looks brand new, but the bearings in the lefty feels rough (probably because they have been dormant for so long) – as soon as i get round to it i’ll get some pics and stick em in the classifieds

clubber
    Free Member

Cannondale Ravens – you can hear them miles off – creak, creak, creak (CRACK! 😉 ). They do look nice though.

For me, my retro dream bike is an original GT LTS – they still ride nicely compared to more modern bikes as they were one of the first examples of a FS bike that worked well for XC/trail riding. (or just ‘riding’ as it was known back then…)

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100366

xiphon
    Free Member

Hardtail: GT Zaskar

Full Sus: GT Lobo or STS

loddrik
    Free Member

I had a raven with a lefty when they’d just come out. It was the wildest looking thing I’d ever seen. It also had Coda disc brakes which were without doubt the worst piece of equipment I have ever ever cone across. Shameful on a bike of that price.

neil853
    Free Member

I’d go with a Zaskar like, especially with all those purple bits on, looks amazing. I was lucky (well depends which way you look at it) to own an STS Lobo and it was definately a love hate relationship. When it work and didn’t squeak like crazy it was awesome, but when it squeaked, as in whenever it got wet (!) it was hell.

Dark-Side

Always wanted a Yo Eddy! My mates Uncle had one with a similar spec to above.

lunge

I always wanted a MountainCycle San Andreas after seeing Paul Smith riding on in MBUK.

Also really wanted a Pace RC200 with Pace carbon forks and Cook Bros cranks.

I now long for a perfect GT Xixang

JonR
    Free Member

the best paintjob there has ever been.

neil853
    Free Member

I think if Klein could have kept going a bit longer they could’ve thrived in the modern day market 🙄 looking at how nice there stuff looked, even in the Trek days.

jimster
    Free Member

De Kerf 853 Team Special in racing green OR the Fuquay Chipps tested in Pro MTB.

chipps

Jimster, I still have that Fuquay… 🙂
    Paid money for it and everything. It comes out every now and again.

Great thread! Even though I’ve been lucky enough to ride many great bikes over the years, there are still some bikes I still lust after. A quick list

Ritchey P21
    Trimble
    Klein Attitude (must be green, white, pink and with the (later-recalled?) angled forks though…)
    Pace RC100
    Yeti FRO
    …and probably more

Sam

Ritchey Plexus – damn I would have killed for one of these

still would in fact 🙂

Had quite a few Ravens through my old shop in Oz as well Psychle, and they were pretty drool worthy. Which was your lbs? Not that many ‘dale dealers in Oz bitd…

Sam

Oh – and I really wanted one of these as well….

It also had Coda disc brakes which were without doubt the worst piece of equipment I have ever ever cone across.

Oh yeah, they were utterly crepe! single piston hydraulics…

damion
    Free Member

Was always a San Andreas for me. Did end up with the Troy Lee Edge though…

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

What’s been done to that Merlin?

Mine might have some modern parts, but at least its reasonably tasteful

psychle
    Free Member

Had quite a few Ravens through my old shop in Oz as well Psychle, and they were pretty drool worthy. Which was your lbs? Not that many ‘dale dealers in Oz bitd…

Top Brand Cycles in Townsville, North Queensland… they made (and still make!) a fortune from cashed up Aussie soldiers (there’s 20000 of them in the town 🙂 )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘My retro dream bike – Raven 4000’ is closed to new replies.