Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • My resident bike thief.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Well not quite resident, he must live locally to me but I see him up and down my street every day, always carrying a bike frame, kids bike, wheels or riding a different bike, some quite nice ones, lots of shite ones.
    He is definitely illiterate and has problems saying basics things, and looks like an H addict. (I know what to look for) . He also looks effen dodgy and I don’t like having the kids at home when he is on the prowl and the builders might have left a door open.

The groundwork for the extension is underway so often the side garage door and side gate to the garden are open. Two years ago mine and the wifes daily riders got nicked from here, due to lack of care over door locking etc.

So I have caught him at the side gate to the garden twice. He said he was looking to see what work was going on and had seen the planning notice outside. I gave him my hardest stare.

Anyway today I told the builders I would lock up as they left.

Unbeknownst to me they were sat in their van opposite chatting on phone, whilst Mr Thief saunters up the street pushing a bike and does a quick up/down look and then heads for the side gate, he was just stepping through when the two lads came up behind him to halt his progress. Luckily I was also heading that way from the garden so I told him to eff off before they got a chance to be more physical.

The bikes are well out of view now since previous incident, but this guy is super cocky and was my prime suspect from before, I can’t help but wonder if he has a feeling to come back. So other than more vigilance when the builders need to leave stuff open, what to do?

I have already reported him to police when I caught him looking before, they DNGAF.

There is a small part of me that is tempted to brace him more firmly next time I see him and warn him of the consequences of being found on my drive again, but I am not really confrontational, I’ll do it if I have to, but it’s not my default. Plus threatening behaviour might not be legal, so its kind of not really on the table.
    Builders have offered to the same, but they might turn threat into action, or I could easily get done for commissioning them to threat or maim.

Any ideas?

Jakester
    Free Member

Are you getting a patio done?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Ha yes!

Cougar

I have already reported him to police when I caught him looking before, they DGAF.

Last I checked, “looking at things” isn’t a criminal offence so that’s not surprising.

Only thing you can really do is either make sure both your security and insurance are comprehensive, or put the fear of god into him.  And good luck with the latter if you’re dealing with an addict.

5plusn8
    Free Member

What about looking at things whilst being 10m onto someones property?

Like today he was inside the gate, under the lean to.

Attempted burglary here -https://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/burglary-under-the-theft-act/

darrenspink
    Free Member

Sounds like you need….

fossy

Make sure the bikes are very secure, and anything else – it’s the builder’s responsibility when they are on site, but it’s a royal pain having a prized bike stolen.

Onzadog
    Free Member

“I genuinely believed that my family and I were in immediate danger”

rene59
    Free Member

Man up and deal with him would be the best idea. Surprised you have to ask. He has had a few goes now and you’ve done **** all about it. No wonder he keeps coming back.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Leave a garden rake out & if he steps on it…WHACK!

At least you could say that’s how his face was bashed in.

He is definitely illiterate and has problems saying basics things,

The poor man needs help for goodness sake!

zanelad
    Free Member

Post about it on the internet in the hope that he reads your post and turns over a new leaf. Job done.

Jamie
    Free Member

Luckily I was also heading that way from the garden so I told him to eff off before they got a chance to be more physical.

That’ll teach him! Should have told him he’s grounded as he left.

CheesybeanZ

The poor man needs help for goodness sake!

Sounds like hes helping himself .

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sounds like he needs help yeah. The police route will just get him nicked, brief jail, more drug exposure, back to the same old. Clearly (allegedly) nicking stuff to feed a habit and lack of money due to probable lack of education and work, if not a mental illness.

Or he’s actually a knuckle dragging mechanic from a local bike shop or he’s a self employed mechanic, which is why he’s carrying around all that bike stuff, and he’s a handy man hence looking about for some work 😀

funkmasterp

So other than more vigilance when the builders need to leave stuff open, what to do?

Wait in the garage until he attempts to steal a bike and then strike!

bikebouy
    Free Member

You could throw that Scottish Supper (in the other thread) at him and hope he eats it and ends up constipated.

He won’t be able to move very quickly at all.

Its tricky, I’ll admit, but suspecting someone isn’t a crime until an act has taken place.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF no mention of shoes, bombers, or general internet hardman stuff?

STW, you’ve changed, man

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tough crowd tonight with not a lot of sympathy, who amongst you lot would have actually cracked him one? I think onza had the right answer, if he’s a drug addict he’s bound to be known to the police and 8f you’ve got kids in the property and he was in its boundary then you could genuinely be fearful for their safety. Either that or actually crack the **** one if he steps foot inside your boundary again.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d be thinking about some kind of trap, something legal like a bucket of yellow emulsion over him. Just don’t forget youv’e set it…

Or there’s always…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MQEUW1]

Must be legal, people voluntarily get shot by them every day. (**** hurt as well, as I can testify)

mucker

Put a sack over his head, throw him in the boot of your car, drive to somewhere precipitous and show him the drop. Problem solved.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

It’s a shame, the only way to really control this guy is to become his dealer. Even if you filled him in, he’d still be back for your bikes or whatever else he could get hold of…

zippykona

Get your gimp mask on, chain him up and threaten to sell him on the internet.

mechanicaldope

the only way to really control this guy is to become his dealer.

That is a really good idea! Only other alternative is really something inspired by the film Saw.

funkmasterp

WTF no mention of shoes, bombers, or general internet hardman stuff?

Own him with bombers, take his shoes off him and wee in them. Then and only then kill all of his family to show him how serious you are

Is that better? 😀

In all seriousness OP all I can think of is setting up cameras. Catch him trespassing on multiple occasions and maybe the police will start taking it seriously.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vape on him, apparently it’s a heinous, hideous action.

That’ll show him.

nastybobby
    Free Member

If he is an opiate addict as you think. Tell him you’ve got a Naloxone kit and he’s getting tied up and jabbed with it he he darkens your doorstep again. Just the fear that you could be serious will keep him from bothering you.

voodoo_chile

Shed, vice, knife  white spirit

stevextc
    Free Member

Get him on video … then something goes missing (perhaps even something that doesn’t).

He sounds very predictable and you know who he is… leave something that looks valuable and make sure the video gets him leaving with it.  (old mobile phone that doesn’t work sort of thing)

singlespeedstu

Does he have a dog?

If he has bum it.

That’ll learn him.

andyrm
    Free Member

“I genuinely believed that my family and I were in immediate danger”

^^this. Just deal with him next time. He keeps coming back because nobody is stopping him.

taxi25
    Free Member

I know people like this OP. Our local bike thief is due out of prison shortly. You can try giving him a kicking if you find him on your property, don’t go OTT and you could reasonably claim self defence. It would put him of a bit, but not completely, drug users commonly steal of their dealers with terrible consequences. When they need drugs they just don’t care 🙁. But are you used to violence ? He probably is, even the most wasted looking junky can be a suprising handful. I’ve learned from hard experience, security and insurance work best. Get a solid ground anchor and a good chain, make sure he can’t just wheel stuff away. Let him know you know what he is, and keep reporting him to the police if he acts suspiciously near your home. And good luck, he will in all probability try and steal of you again.

angeldust
    Free Member

Make sure bikes are secure.  CCTV is a good deterrent.

And next time you have words, make sure it coincides with doing some gardening, so you have a large shovel resting on your shoulder :-).  If they are not already, make sure the builders are aware of what you suspect, and encourage them to show them the error of his ways, if they are keen.

Cougar

Get a solid ground anchor and a good chain

Then **** him with it?

Daffy

Get a cheap bike, GPS tag the shit out of it.  Leave it where he can get to it, when it goes, get the police to follow the tracker and get the bugger jailed.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Our local bike thief is due out of prison shortly.

Is he called Scotty?

I knew a Scotty in jail, except he nicked wagon loads.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Inform him that if he nicks anything, you’ll come looking for him. Then, as he’s leaving, point out that if someone else nicks anything, you’re still coming after him. He might turn security guard for your house if you’re convincing enough.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Bum his dog? That’s harsh.

Just bum him, that’ll put him off. That or you got a friend for life.

mrmoofo

1) Tell the police he is stalking you …

2) How about doing the same to him at his gaff?

garage-dweller

If the gentleman appears to be a user and keeps entering your property where there are young children I might be playing that card a bit more with the Police.

Had to remove him from property, scared me, concerns for children, if the builders hadn’t stepped in etc.

I don’t think it’s necessarily overplaying it either as if he is desperate and one of the kids gets in the way while hes thieving then they could be at risk.

xcracer1
    Free Member

I would probably grab him and have a good word if he was snooping around on my property – unless he was much bigger than me! Otherwise get a mate to go with you and have a word? And find where he lives.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘My resident bike thief.’ is closed to new replies.