Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • My puppy just got attacked… :-(
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

Goes to show, jut ‘cos you’re a puppy, doesn’t mean life is gonna be all fluffy and bouncy and pink! Andrex have a lot to answer for.

andybach
    Free Member

Glad to hear the pups ok, similar happened to me last summer – walking GF’s dog (mouthy Jack Russel) on a lead along a narrow pavement – next to a busy road, staffy walking down the pavement towards with no-one about. Thought it was gonna be ok – until staffie went for the JR, tried to pull the JR clear with the lead. Ended with JR hanging off the lead – with staffie firmly attached. JR was now crapping every where.

GF’s kid is now screaming – so sent him to get his Mum (just round the corner) – I punched the staffie a couple of times but no effect. So i grabbed its collar and twisted and it eventually let go.

I now have bleeding JR in one hand and now quiet staffie in the other – and thinking well WTF to do i do now. Bloke comes out of the house next to me – and i asked politely whether it was f’ing dog – just shrugs and shuts the door again.

GF then appears and so starts knocking on other doors to try and find the owner – tatooed bloke appears at door admits to owning dog and blames his “f’king Mum” for leaving the back door open, starts shouting at his Mum from the doorstep. I am still stood, dog in each hand. I politely suggest he comes and gets his dog – so he just grabs it and throws it through the door, it yelped as it the floor.

We suggest he might contribute towards vet bill – he just laughed and slammed the door shut.

We told the police but they weren’t hugely interested. To be honest i felt really sorry for his dog – he clearly treated it v badly and was the prime reason it was aggressive.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Dam thing needs putting down. Might be child’s face next time.

Had the same thing happen to an old dog of my parents year ago in Exeter. Some fat lump just watch their dog attacking ours.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

so he just grabs it and throws it through the door, it yelped as it the floor.

This is why that dog is violent. Staffys are strong dogs, unfortunately because of this the are frequently own by **** as something to pose with and beat.

TheBrick
    Free Member

p.s. Richard Ballantine’s book has a section on killing dog which attack.

djglover
    Free Member

I hate these type of dogs, staffies, pit bulls etc. I would happily see them all destroyed tomorrow

cinnamon_girl

Oh no, poor Molly. 🙁

That must have been quite a distressing experience darcy. Have you reported it to the Police? Or could it have been a stray?

Do hope Molly will be OK, might be worth keeping her on a lead for a while until she feels comfy being outside again.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have attempted to put a knee or a boot on the dog’s chest or throat. Winning against dogs = pinning them to the ground, in theory.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I hate these type of owner. I would happily see them all destroyed tomorrow

Agreed, there are many people out there who should not be out there.

djglover
    Free Member

I heard that if you pull their front legs apart you can kill them. Thats always in the back of my mind as I walk past the shell suited chavy staffie owners in my otherwise tranquil middleclass park.

Cougar

You got the contact number off the collar, yes?

Go to the police, at the -very- least I’d expect your vet bills to be recouped.

I’m not a dog person but I’m sorry to hear what happened, ‘s not right.

donsimon
    Free Member

This is starting to hurt! 😈

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You got the contact number off the collar, yes?

😳 In the circumstances, I didn’t Cougar – I was too concerned with getting her to a vet and getting sorted – I’m annoyed with myself that I didn’t have the presence of mind to get a number. Maybe, tbh, it was the best thing all around that I didn’t. I’d probably have a few beers and send abusive texts or something. Appreciate your concern though – much appreciated.

don – no worries fella, you know how I feel behind all the messing. Thanks for the email – was in the pub by the time I’d got it 🙂

The thing that annoys me is that the dog is probably at home this evening with his owner oblivious to the distress caused by his negligence today – hopefully at some point he’ll be visited with a pile of shit on his doorstep that he has to sort all by himself.

I rang the dog warden to see if there was any follow up but he said that because the dog wardens were all off duty when it was reported that the person who reported it was advised to call the police dog handling team 🙄

Just to play devils advocate for a minute here…

The dog had a collar on – did you really have to kick it as hard as you could half a dozen times to get it off? By your own account, it wasn’t trying to kill Molly. Dogs fight sometimes, you seem to be justifying your actions by claiming it didn’t later seem affected by your own vicious attack. Perhaps it couldn’t tell you that it’s ribs might have been broken, not actually being able to speak words and such like?

Just out of interest, if you owned a cat (you may well own a cat) and another cat was tearing chunks out of it, as cats very often do, would you hoof it 20 yards across the road?

TheBrick
    Free Member

If the other cat was several times bigger than my cat I would.

2hottie
    Free Member

DD,

I hope both you and Molly are ok, Brian sends a few woofs to cheer you both up!

Border’s are machines, they just keep going! she’ll be fine most likely before you are!

Brian was bitten just above the tail last year by an Alsation, he turned and went “nuclear” and was hanging of it’s jaw as it ran away in fear. I think it’ll think twice next time. The owner had a moan until I reminded him that he hadn’t even noticed his two large dogs attacking mine.

Dogs do play rough but I’ve never seen a larger, more mature dog attacking a puppy in play, it seems that it was overly aggressive and comes directly back to the owner really. You were, unfortunately, right to kick it. I would feel guilty kicking a dog but if I had too then a head shot would be ideal.

Hope Molly gets better quickly

Healing vibes

Scott and Brian

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Our Westie got attacked by 2 alsatians earlier this week – got a call from a tearful wife who was with him.
    The owner got his dogs off, gave them a whack and just buggered off. Wifey was too upset to think to follow him or get his details but I was appalled he didn’t wait to see if he was ok.

Makes me cross that people can be so irresponsible.

Hope the puppy is ok – our dog is fine bar the bald patch where he was bitten but not had the bill through yet.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear what happened, staffys really have been dealt a hard hand with the chav mentality. They are a fantastic dog, when handled with maturity and sensibility.
    People, please remember, more children have killed children than Staffies have. There are bad owners like there are bad parents. If this happened to one of my dogs (or I saw it happen) I’d be calling the Police there and then to be collecting the dog, and arresting the owners!

On what planet would the Rozzers go and arrest the owners NikNak?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ll take your devil’s advocate card.

The dog had a collar on

Indeed it did, with a number that noone had answered despite being called by other people. The dog’s owner was nowhere in the park.

did you really have to kick it as hard as you could half a dozen times to get it off?

My dog did nothing to provoke the other dog other than be silly enough to think it meant her no harm like all the other nice, under control dogs she plays with in the park. Just before the attack started, when I sensed that things weren’t quite going to turn out nicely, I looked to the other group to ask them to call the dog off. It was then that they informed me that they hadn’t a clue whose dog it was and that nobody was responding to calls to the number on the collar.

Once the attack started, there was only one way to remove the dog from mine and that wasn’t to put my hand on the its collar and pull it away. A staffie (or staffie cross or whatever the **** it was) that’s decided it’s going to have a defenceless puppy for afternoon tea is only going to be stopped in one way. In the absence of its owner, it was down to me to decide in what way it was going to be stopped. If it had taken another half dozen kicks, I would have done it, regrettably. If I’d had to repreatedly kick its **** head till it was knocked unconscious, regrettably, I would have done this too.

By your own account, it wasn’t trying to kill Molly.

Aye, that’s true, I’m guessing that because it had her by the scruff, maybe it wasn’t trying to kill her, but judging from the sounds, it was certainly trying to hurt her, again, if you didn’t read the OP, without provocation on her part. Maybe it’s the naive eejit in me trying in some way to find a redeemable trait in the other dog. The puncture wounds she received were 1. behind her ear (superficial) 2. on her upper cheek, quite deep, still bleeding 30 minutes, at the vet and 3. on her lower cheek, bleeding for about 15 minutes. This was not a play-fight.

Dogs fight sometimes,

They do. This wasn’t a fight. This was an unprovoked attack by a much larger stronger dog (by my conservative estimation, a say, 15-20 kg vs 3.5 kg) on an otherwise happy puppy.

you seem to be justifying your actions by claiming it didn’t later seem affected by your own vicious attack. Perhaps it couldn’t tell you that it’s ribs might have been broken, not actually being able to speak words and such like?

I’m justifying ****-all matey. I hope the dog is feeling bruised to **** this evening – but that’s just me being vindictive. I hope maybe in the moments after the attack, the dog had sore ribs, maybe even broken and a sore head and connected that with attacking another dog. Whatever it’s feeling this evening won’t be connected with something that happened seven hours ago anyway.

In the moments after the attack, a number of people in the park came up to me to ask if Molly was ok. I was pretty shaken up, as you can imagine, and bumbled out something along the lines of being a bit sorry that I had to kick another dog in front of so many people…because everybody that had seen the incident was a bit shaken up too. To a person, they agreed that I had done the right thing – and on mature reflection, I’m still happy that I did. Both vet and veterinary nurse agreed that I had no other option. If it had been a fair fight, I’d have given Molly a few more seconds to stick up for herself – I’m no mollycoddler (excuse the pun) – or if I’d thought Molly had done something to provoke the attack, I might be more contrite about my actions.

My remaining feeling on watching the other dog toddling off was wonderment at it being so tough – it didn’t appear too bothered that it had just been kicked into next week.

I wish I’d have had some magic word or command to stop the attack, but I didn’t, nor did anyone nearby.

Whether you’re being devil’s advocate or just being an idiot because you’re a bit bored this evening – I guess you’d probably know the answer to that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On what planet would the Rozzers go and arrest the owners NikNak?

The planet Daily Mail I think. If they could see me the £75 though, that’d be fair enough.

Oh, and I didn’t address the cat question, and because it’s a pile of hypothetical shite, it actually doesn’t need addressing.

Lol – fair enough mate, I was just chucking one on the fire before I went to bed, but I’ll take your explanation – there’s a fair chance I’d do the same presented with a similar situation.

Glad the little pooch is ok.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lol – fair enough mate, I was just chucking one on the fire before I went to bed, but I’ll take your explanation – there’s a fair chance I’d do the same presented with a similar situation.

Glad the little pooch is ok.

😳

Sorry, a bit of ever-reaction on my part…obviously not completely calmed down yet 🙂

She was in good from when we got in this evening and is sound asleep now no doubt dreaming of slaying big dogs in her terrier world.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh and fair enough…but can anyone explain the tag… “neren t d” 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

NikNak7890 – Member

If this happened to one of my dogs (or I saw it happen) I’d be calling the Police there and then to be collecting the dog, and arresting the owners!

I think you will find that no crime has been committed, Certainly no arrestable offence. If a dog attacks a human then police can and will get involved but another dog?

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Because without reporting and/or evidence the Police can’t do the job “planet Daily Mail” demand they do.
    There are very simple techniques to subdue a dog (and their owner) and neither involve either a footballer’s kick, or a boxer’s punch.
    A dog, even one that’s been taught to to fight/fear every other dog, should be treated with sensitivity and care.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/a-new-life-for-vicks-fighting-dogs.html

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So what crime is it then?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What should I have done NikNak? I’m in agreement with TJ here – no matter how pissed off I am with the dog’s owner, no crime has been committed.

There are very simple techniques to subdue a dog (and their owner) and neither involve either a footballer’s kick, or a boxer’s punch.

Please elucidate…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A to the K?

Cougar

I’ll take your devil’s advocate card.

If my pet had been attacked and someone decided that it was a great jumping-off point for a debate, I reckon I’d have told them to get ‘ked myself. I think perhaps you’re a bigger man than me and I take my (virtual) hat off to you sir.

Cougar

There are very simple techniques to subdue a dog

If a dog requires subduing, I’d argue that it’s not the subduer’s responsibility to learn techniques. That moment has passed, be that fault of dog or owner.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If my pet had been attacked and someone decided that it was a great jumping-off point for a debate, I reckon I’d have told them to get ‘ked myself. I think perhaps you’re a bigger man than me and I take my (virtual) hat off to you sir.

I’ve more than likely been guilty of similar myself at times…

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Is it that difficult to tell the Police that you feared for your own safety when dealing with a dangerous dog?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Still no crime.

Cougar

Is it that difficult to tell the Police that you feared for your own safety when dealing with a dangerous dog?

“Yes sir, which dog?”

“uh, a brown one?”

Without a lead (ho ho), dogs are dogs. Actually though, didn’t you say you couldn’t raise the owner? Contact details on your phone log?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I didn’t fear for my safety, just my dog’s. Much as I’d like to see the owner punished (somehow) it’s not going to happen. Thing is, the little fecker seemed fine around people, just not puppies. Please don’t goad TeeJ into a dog argument. He’s not supposed to even be here. 😛

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Last comment then DD 😉

Under the dangerous dogs act, a dog classed as being “dangerously out of control in a public place” can be destroyed. The owner can be fined and imprisoned for up to six months.

If a dog injures someone, the owner can be jailed for up to two years.

“Other pieces of legislation covering dogs include the Animals Act 1971, which says the keeper of an animal is liable for any damage it causes, the Guard Dogs Act 1975 and the Dogs Act 1871.”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t I just destroy the owner? Then both TeeJ and I would be happy 🙂

NikNak7890
    Free Member

*As an olive branch*
    If it had been my dogs DD, and in the heat of the moment, I’d have done whatever was necessary to secure my dogs; but the law most definitely would have been called, and the dog held until they’d arrived (or it’d have been taken to the nearest RSPCA centre).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In hindsight, you’re right NikNak, but Molly’s only a wee thing and I was more concerned with getting her to the vet and checked out…I did follow up with the dog warden but they had no information as they were all off duty.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘My puppy just got attacked… :-(’ is closed to new replies.