Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • My problem of the day
  • plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

I work in engineering and have an opportunity that I need to consider. Should I continue working in my current job where I keep banging my head against the wall and go from one problem to another (job:submarine building in Cumbria) or should I pursue a potential opportunity (2 year placement)to build submarines in New London Connecticut. I am married with a 3 year old daugther. Your thoughts?

iDave
    Free Member

you really need to ask? assuming you can take family with you get to the states. why wouldn't you?

Edric64
    Free Member

Take the family with you you may enjoy it and your daughter will be school age here when /if you come back

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fadda

As iDave says.

As long as the family can come with you, you'll kick yourself in years to come, if you don't try it!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Why don't you get an allotment instead. That should calm you down

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

see ya.!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Can I use your addy to order bits from Jenson so you will post them over as my old bike bits therefore no custom/vat charges?
    Thanks, really nice of you!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

enjoy the US.

cranberry
    Free Member

Nothing broadens the mind like going to live in another country.

Napalm
    Free Member

What a great opportunity; anyone prepared to give you this chance is worth pursuing.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Get gone man!.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is a problem? Good Lord, man, do you struggle over which to put on first, pants or trousers?

Get out there, you lucky chap! 🙂

roundwheels
    Free Member

Bloody Nazis

Pigface
    Free Member

Watching americans being american is one of lifes rare treats, gives you a sense of your own superiority 😉 defo go for it will be an adventure if nothing else. New Hampshire Vermont and Maine not far away and they are stunning places.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I would be happy to play with submarines all day, wherever that was

igm

Basic issue is what does your wife do and could she do it there / would it hurt her career to take a year or two out?

My father taught university in the states for a year, so we were all out there for about 15 months.

Schools are fine (not that that will affect a 3 year old now – I was 12 on the way out), and it hasn't done me much lasting damage.

Get the experience while you can.

tron
    Free Member

The yanks on average get about half as many holidays as we do in Europe. That'd put me off a bit.

joemarshall
    Free Member

The yanks on average get about half as many holidays as we do in Europe. That'd put me off a bit.

Yeah, friend out there in quite a high level job was on a contract with 2 weeks holiday a year. Crazy.

Lack of holidays, crap healthcare (you might get okay healthcare if your job is very good though) and whether your wife has a job, given she probably won't be allowed to work in the US, are the big things to think about.

Joe

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Go if your family can go with you. I spent 2 years working in Oz and Canada. Do it whilst you can, there will never be a better time. Americans are actually quite nice.

igm

Generally Americans are very nice as individuals, it's just as a nation we should never have handed them our research on atomic weapons during WWII.

audiophile
    Free Member

If I lived in Cumbria I'd never move away from it.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

If you decide NOT to go, give me a shout.

I've never designed a submarine in my life*, but I'd jump at the chance you are being offered.

*How hard can it be?

zokes
    Free Member

I've just moved to Oz for a job, and my wife has been really homesick. Hopefully once she starts work on Monday she'll have less time to think about things, but it's not been easy for her. Yes, the move got me a permanent job (I was previoiusly short-term) paying more than we got together in the UK, but that's not the point. Had I been in a permanent job in the UK, it would have been very tough, and that's even in a place where Claire can easily get a job…

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing broadens the mind like going to live in another country.

Absolutely. Definitely go live abroad. It's great fun 🙂 Plus it's only two years so what's the problem? If it sucks you'll be back.

As long as the wife feels the same way, of course.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

The things to think about are the costs of the actual move (of course). Do you rent or own, will you be able to store your things cheaply or will you sell everything/almost everything and leave the rest with family/friends? Also what will your partner do? Will she try to work too? Things can be difficult for mothers who stay at home. There are not necessarily the same parent and child groups etc. But most of the time the neighbors are friendly and if you're church goers then that is one of best ways to find extra support.

Connecticut is a lovely state 🙂 Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, mountains, rivers, beach as well as big cities to explore depending how far you want to drive/where you're actually going to place yourself. Autumns are lovely, crisp, and colorful. 🙂 If you don't like Clam Chowder you soon will. 🙂

epicyclo

zokes, the first 2 years in Oz can be hard but once that's done, if/when you come back here, the UK seems all wrong 🙂

drofluf
    Free Member

I moved out to the US for most of last year with my family (wife plus then 5 year old son) we had ups and downs but on balance don't regret it at all. Mrsgrips raises some relevant questions, if you can resolve those then go for it!!

theteaboy
    Free Member

Do your family want to go?

timraven

If you don't try it you'll kick yourself and it is only two years.

So much easier to live with regretting what you've done than regretting what you haven't done, if you get my meaning.

Have fun

tonyd

If the offer is as good as it sounds then go for it. I'd imagine with that kind of offer your employer would provide a relocation package, healthcare, etc. These could work out very expensive if you had to cover them yourself, particularly if you own your home.

mrsgrips raises good points about the wife – no doubt you understand the importance of a support network with a young family. If you're moving away from family and friends will you be happy to have to start from scratch?

I've lived abroad when I was single and other than missing family and friends I loved it but a family brings a whole different perspective to things.

That said, it's only two years so what's to lose? And despite what most folks say I think America is a great country, the people are generally very nice and the country itself is fantastic. Having spent lots of time in California, Colorado, and Massachussetts (sp?) with work I think the East coast is the nicest part.

Good luck whatever you decide.

FB-ATB

Regarding the 10 days hols- most companies increase it as you stay longer, so if you're going with an existing employer you may keep your current entitlement.

When I was negotiating a placement with my employer's parent company in California, this was part of one option.

Also the cost of living vs salary vs cost of services makes it cheaper to pay someone to do jobs that you'd normally have to do at home. Most people I was working with out there had cleaners/gardeners/decorators.

For eaxmple, one guy had a handyman who charged c$40 (in 2004) for a half day's work. It's likely that illegals provided the labour to keep the price low. This meant weekends were free of the usual house chores, so you can get more free time without as many holidays.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My problem of the day’ is closed to new replies.