Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • my old tom tom is dead so which sat nav ?
  • sofaking
    Free Member

must cover europe.
    liked the tom tom so will probably get another , but which one as there are so many now
    anyone got the new via live 120 ?
    thanks in advance

Smarty
    Free Member

You sure it’s dead?
    Mine died once and I found out there’s a hard reset button hidden underneath it. Need a straigtened paperclip to press the button. Press and hold it to reset machine. Google it.

allthegear
    Free Member

TomTom on iPhone 4 is very, very good…

Rachel

sofaking
    Free Member

its dead, i have used the reset on numerous occasions but now the screen works sometime, no sound at all and the connection where you plug it in is dodgy so its time for a new one.
    i have one on my phone, but prefer a stand alone sat nav for longer journeys

higthepig
    Free Member

I was in the same situation as you 12 months ago, ended up getting a new TomTom XL. Wish I hadn’t as it has been a pain from the beginning. First off, due to poor design, it is a complete faff trying to get the power lead in, have to leave the house 5 minutes early to give me time to get the stupid thing plugged in. It has frozen freqently, last time near Stoke on a drive to the southern Nederlands, hard reset etc would not get it working, was tempted to throw the thing out of the window. Updates are a pain as they delete the favourites, so you have to reload them again. Overall not impressed with TomTom and when this one dies for good I’ll get something else

FuzzyWuzzy

Bought a TomTom Go Live 1000 recently, wasn’t exactly cheap but way better than the 8 year old one it replaced. Looked around at the time and alternatives all had some issues or were too much hassle to get hold of.

It’s not been perfect though, randomly rebooted quite frequently although subsequent software updates have nearly fixed this. The lane assist thing is a bit hit and miss to, given it’s only about 50% accurate you can’t trust it so it’s rendered a bit pointless.

I’d not had traffic updates before and couldn’t see much point (I don’t need a sat nav for commuting and don’t do a whole lot of miles) but it’s great, giving a much more accurate predicted journey time and warning of upcoming jams etc. (it’s not exactly real-time though, probably a 15-30 minute delay on updating info).

It has the new magnetic power connection to which is much less faff than the old mini-USB one. The mount is a big improvement to (although my old was was a few generations ago when it was still a spit and stick design ;p

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

google navigation on a smart phone is pretty good nowadays – also have CoPilot but wary as it keeps trying to direct me down stupid narrow B (or lower) roads.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘my old tom tom is dead so which sat nav ?’ is closed to new replies.