Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • My newest steed
  • fadda

[/url]
    It’s finished! by stuart’s pictures, on Flickr[/img]

Not normally a show-offy sort of person, but I’ve never built a bike before, and I’m very happy with this…

And apologies for the shonky phone pic…

RealMan
    Free Member

Good chain tension there.

That actually looks brilliant, although saddle angle needs tweaking. Proper nice looking bike.

fadda

Thanks, RM – I’m riding it in anger for the first time tomorrow.

With many tweak stops, I suspect!

EDIT: and I’ve got it in smallest rings both ends – hence the sag!

Bregante

Are they van 32’s on there? Thinking of getting one myself and swapping the kit from my Rocky Ridge onto it, so would be interested to see what you think if they are?

atlaz
    Free Member

Sag? It’s loose on the top and bottom, you want to be taking some links out 😉

Looks nice though

geoffj

Interesting.

rOcKeTdOg

is that the normal seatpost height, maybe get a bigger frame?

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Is that one of those interrogation rooms with a one way mirror that you see on cop shows?

piha
    Free Member

Some of your grouting is a bit wide and could do with a bit of a tidy up but other than that everything seems ok. Bike looks good too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Riding ‘the steed’ ‘in anger’…? WTF…..

robhughes
    Free Member

EDIT: and I’ve got it in smallest rings both ends – hence the sag!
    Thats just classic.
    Will someone please inform the poor guy. 😉

fadda

Bregante – Floats (32) I can report back, if you like?

Atlaz – I did the Big ring/biggest cog +1 link method – but yeah, at least a link shorter will probably help.

I didn’t think it felt all that light when I picked it up (no idea what the weight actually is), but it feels very light on the car park test.

loddrik – I’m very excited about it, you see…

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got the same kettle/worktop/door/handle combo.

weird.

Bregante

Hmm. May have to get rid of the vans if they’re too heavy. Seems a bit pointless hanging heavy kit off a light frame??

Jamie
    Free Member

i’ve got the same kettle/worktop/door/handle combo.

You want to see if there is a 456 in your kitchen.

duntstick
    Free Member

Looks really good, can you get them without the graphics?

fadda

You can get them in plain black, i’m sure…

Bregante

I actually really, really like the red graphics

mudsux
    Free Member

sorry to urinate on your fireworks (so to speak) but it does look the wrong size – for a seatpost tower of that height on a bike of that kind.

next size up?
    and the biggest mistake? you called it a “steed” too!

fadda

Me too, I think the plain black looks a bit…, well…, plain.

tony24
    Free Member

looking good mate chain is well slack though. I have had mine for a good 6 or 7 months and its been utterly brilliant !

you will enjoy.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

“i’ve got the same kettle/worktop/door/handle combo”

ok, this gets even weirder, there isn’t a 456, but there is an on-one inbred…

fadda

Mudsux – I know – lost all sense of decorum in my excitement! I have a horrible feeling you may be right about the size, though it is a large already. We’ll see when I take it to Cwmcarn tomorrow!

TN
    Free Member

Nice work. It looks great. Hope it rides well.

I just finished my first built today too – it isn’t nearly as pretty as yours (mostly second hand bits) but I suspect the sense of satisfaction is similar.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, the only explanation is that your kitchen is a doorway to a parallel dimension. One where every Inbred comes in carbon.

Freaky.

allthepies
    Free Member

Nice… but goping graphics.

johnners
    Free Member

I like your kettle.

The stickers on the bike are foul though.

fadda

Thanks TN – nice feeling, isn’t it?

Hope you enjoy yours, too!

fadda

Oops…

bassspine
    Free Member

1) chain is too long. Really it is. Run the chain small to small through the derailleur, and pull it in so it just clears the bottom of the mech. It is the ‘other way’ of checking chain length, I’m a cytech mechanic that’s the way I do it. It is on the Parktools site too.
    2) that’s the best looking carbon 456 I’ve seen so far, love the graphics

TN
    Free Member

A great feeling. 🙂
    Never done anything even close to this ambitious before. My Zinn bible got a lot of use and my local bike shop owner was a total star! Doing a small ‘tweaking’ ride tomorrow then out with the girlies for a proper ride on Sunday, so I’ll find out then.

takisawa2

This was filmed on that seatpost.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmxMi0BtHnU&feature=related[/video]

Bregante

fadda – Member
    Mudsux – I know – lost all sense of decorum in my excitement! I have a horrible feeling you may be right about the size, though it is a large already. We’ll see when I take it to Cwmcarn tomorrow!
    POSTED 12 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I’ll give you £300 for the frame tomorrow night. :mrgreen:

rOcKeTdOg

takisawa2 – Member
    This was filmed on that seatpost

phew! i thought it was just me that was worried about him getting a nose bleed at altitude

Mister-P
    Free Member

Jamie how is the fact you also have an on-one weird? This is STW so it would be weird if you didn’t have one.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie how is the fact you also have an on-one weird? This is STW so it would be weird if you didn’t have one.

I don’t have one. Which I guess is weird in itself, but the fact that…oh don’t worry about it and read the thread chronologically 😉

ashfanman
    Free Member

takisawa2 – that made my hands sweat just watching it. 😯

jonb
    Free Member

You need enough chain to go round the two biggest sprockets + 1 link.

456s typically run with long seatposts. I have loads showing on mine. If that’s full racing height (feet just touching the floor) then it’s fine. IF that let’s you get your feet flat on the floow with your knees bent then maybe it’s too small. It allows you to drop the seat right out of the way if you want.

fadda

I know you were all worried about me, so I’ve been out again. Saddle now significantly lower, and chain tension is sorted.

Sorry, Bregante, I don’t think there’ll be a frame going cheap tomorrow evening, now!

Edit: jonb – thank you, I won’t worry too much if it goes back up a bit on the trail tomorrow, now.

psling
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    Jamie – Member
    “i’ve got the same kettle/worktop/door/handle combo”

Be even weirder still if you wondered into your kitchen and found fadda’s wife stood there doing the washing up… 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘My newest steed’ is closed to new replies.