Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • My new xc bike
  • forgotmename
    Free Member

Foes prolite 2.1, 3.5in travel, 28.7lb.
    First ride in the morning.
    xc prolite 2.1,13,04,2010

robhughes
    Free Member

looks sweet.whats that rear shock.
    looks mighty powerful for such a light short travel bike..

forgotmename
    Free Member

The shock is a curnutt, they only come on a foes frame.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

S'cuse me for saying so, but that's a bit weighty for a short travel bike with air suspension and XTR all over it…. 😕

will
    Free Member

I did think that!

Still very very nice 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Crikey, is it made of lead?

Actually that saddle probably weighs 5lb.

psychle
    Free Member

is that rear shock attached to the swingarm by a piece of string??

Don't know why, but I really like foes… they just look purposeful don't they?

grtdkad

Looks nice…

njee20
    Free Member

So it has less travel than an Anthem/Epic/Top Fuel, the frame appears to cost a not insignificant £1750, and it weighs a ton!

Can I please have some money, you appear to have too much?

I hope it rides amazingly!

emac65
    Free Member

Looks nice but as above, it does seem a little heavy….

bikerbruce
    Free Member

The first ever lead bike….all you want in a bike over priced,heavy as..,
    ugly and good god the saddle is the size of a large victoria sponge…
    sorry.
    hope it rides AMAZINGLY.
    Bruce

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hello. yes it is heavy, i thought it would be, its got slime tubes and heavy rims, but im a lump so im not too bothered, it rides nice, i had first ride pm today, just xc miles to chicksands and a couple of laps here n there in chicksands, it idoes feel fast and it does pedal really well, but i am going to say that arent i. njee its £1750 with a fox shock! and if you design a build something i want, il give you my hard earned.

audiophile
    Free Member

Don't listen to all the above rubbish, jealousy is a terrible thing. It looks gorgeous and I wish you every joy of it. Hope you get sunshine to shred in.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Excellent, cheers audiophile.

Coasting
    Free Member

In a world of cookie cutter bikes built for the masses who wouldnt know a gr8 bike if it bit them on the bum its still fantastic to see Brent Foes doing his own thing.Lovely bike, im very jealous.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Stunning build mate – bet youre chuffed with it!

Hope to own a Foes one day, looks nice in a different colour to the usual red

njoy! 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

In a world of cookie cutter bikes built for the masses who wouldnt know a gr8 bike if it bit them on the bum its still fantastic to see Brent Foes doing his own thing.Lovely bike, im very jealous.

Amen to that brother! Lovely bike 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looks nice, massive saddle though

forgotmename
    Free Member

Thanks all, i am very chuffed, saddle, spesh ladies ariel 143, comfy perch, functional, along with every other part of, and including.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Thanks Bigdummy for posting the pic.
    I did mention the weight to hear what people thought, it made me smile.
    Had a good 25 miles on board today and it does ride sooo well, much sharper steering, and it feels so fast in singletrack, and feels that its much less effort going uphill, i knocked almost 30mins off my usual time, but i usually do that on my fxr.
    All in all lots of money well spent.

njee20
    Free Member

its much less effort going uphill,

Think how much better it would be if it was anywhere near as light as it's rivals!

On a serious note, why? Not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious. You could've had a much lighter bike, with more travel, for less money. What does the Foes do that nothing else does? Or is it purely brand snobbery?

forgotmename
    Free Member

Brand loyalty/ snobbery.
    None of the rivals are as stiff in the rear, oo er, none of the rivals have the quality, service intervals, reliability, or strength of the foes, ive had foes since 2003, with other brands inbetween( as 2nd bikes), the bearings last forever and i only change them when selling the frame on, normally they hold their value very well too.
    I know what i want from a bike, and its a foes usually.
    Hope that answers your questions njee. I dont have shitloads of money, but im happy to spend what i do have on my bikes, i got a litespeed kitsuma in 2001 it cost£2075 for the frame then, i still have it and use it. Good value to me.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah it sort of does, ta!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

brand snobbery? dont listne to these nobs

it winds me up this ive nowt against the likes of spesh giant and so forth but i too prefare and have owned boutique bikes like turner, intense, nicolai

btw i now have a cove does this count? 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Very nice, sometimes you just know when a bike is right.

I used to have a RM ETSX 70 that was way flexy but pretty light, I then changed to an Azonic propulsion, I much preferred it & kept it for ages, I then got tempted by a Turner that I thought would be loads better, that was a reality check, to XC in comparison so I have just built up the Azonic again after a powder coat & new bearings.
    All I can say is I'm in love again.

Keep on swimming up stream, its more fun 8)

Wookster

Looks lush mate love the look of foes bikes plus you have to have the curnut (sp?) shock on one of those otherwise it loses it soul! I hope you have a wicked time riding it like you stole it mate!

coopersport1
    Free Member

Is the spacing on those stair spindles even? Oh yeah nice bike big saddle though!

forgotmename
    Free Member

Spacing is even,thanks and its not that big really.

juiced
    Free Member

steep h.a. with low bb. Should be very 'involving' yet planted. A bit different.

forgotmename
    Free Member

The head angle is adjustable, but thats how it came, il adjust it and try it out after the next few rides, the frame is made for 100mm forks but i put 120s on, cant complain on the ride at the mo, it does feel planted, and its quite hard to wheelie. Im going out again in the morning, its down to only 28.1lbs now ive taken slime tubes out and put a small block 8 on rear and panaracer racer xc on front.

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Gary,

You must have some heavy parts on that or some dodgy scales. A full XTR/Fox/Thomson equipped Medium Prolite 25lb ish.

J

forgotmename
    Free Member

Il bring it in and weigh it on your scales mate, i think mine are ok tho, im not fussed on the weight, it rides very well ta, and i trust it wont break on me. The heavy part is me Jamie, o yea and acros seatpost! only kidding seatpost is also a touch of class, ta

heihei

I think people get carried away with the weight thing – done in by weights that appear in brochures that are achieved by weighing without pedals (why do they do this ffs – the only bike designed to be used without pedals is my 3yr old's Scoot), skinny tyres, short seatposts etc.

In the real world, I've found bikes always end up weighing more than I think they would – my Titus Titanium Exogrid is fully blinged up with XTR, Roval wheels, R1 brakes etc and still weighs about 26lbs. That said, it has riser bars, chunky tyres, a sturdy fork, and as such can take a hammering through the Lakes no problem.

OP – looks great – enjoy! Like the fact that Foes are doing something different still.

njee20
    Free Member

My Top Fuel with more travel and a similar price tag is 21lbs. Real weight. The same scales weigh a Giant XTC Advanced SL hardtail at >22lbs. But this could very easily descend into a willy waving thread, and we don't need more of those.

You're definitely right about bikes weighing less than you think they will, I always enjoy weighing people's bikes when they're convinced it's going to be x, it's invariably about 2lbs heavier! Frankly I think most people would rather not know what things really weigh!

What does the frame, with the Curnutt shock weigh then?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

But this could very easily descend into a willy waving thread

**claps hands excitedly**

forgotmename
    Free Member

njee, the frame weighs 7.87 with xtr rear brake, as i weighed it up after the brake was fitted, so i guess 7lb ish, but it doesnt matter.
    Your top fuel, similar price tag. CanI have some money please!

fackit
    Free Member

The shock looks OTT size-wise fot it's travel.

What is the attraction of the Curnutt shock btw?

forgotmename
    Free Member

fackit. Had a foes for 7 yrs, liked my 1st one, so i thought id get another, and so on, they come with that shock, and i like them, they work well, only just got the air shocked versions and it smooth from the 1st ride, had the xtd coil before these, and that shock worked well enough to not know its there, your right tho the shock does look big against the little frame, but the size has a lot to do with its suppleness(if thats a word).
    If you want to know more about the shock give Jamie @ balfa uk a bell, he'l fill you in.

njee20
    Free Member

Your top fuel, similar price tag. CanI have some money please!

I said it had a similar price tag, not that I paid a similar amount 😉

As long as you enjoy it that's all that matters, just not where my money would go!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘My new xc bike’ is closed to new replies.