Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • My new Winter/Commuter – Enigam Ti roadie content & Piccies
  • Vortexracing

Having been so happy with my Enigma Echo I bought in the summer, I decided to take the plunge and bought a ex demo one off the Enigma site to replace my Carbon Hewitt Alpine, which was a bit too small.

Kitted it out with some Campagolo Centaur and some hope pro3 mono Wheels and Easton finishing kit.

This is the Etape, a bit longer than the echo, a bit slacker and has mudguard and rack eyelets.

Feels great to ride, except a very scary wobble at about 45mph this afternoon. 🙁 which I need to get to the bottom of.

Quite looking fwd to some light touring on it next year, if things pan out.

Flame away STWers

P1050369 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1050373 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1050372 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1050371 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1050370 by eastham_david, on Flickr

tonyg2003

Very nice looking bike. Ti just doesn’t do it for me ride wise though. Spending that sort of money is carbon for me every time.

Speed wobble. Checked headset tightness? I hope it’s not down to frame stiffness.

33tango

Nice that

robdob
    Free Member

That’s really nice. Does it use deep drop brakes?

Bazz

Nice, though a bit to pricey for winter and commuting for my wallet, i’ll have to stick to cheap steel or ally!

How far is your commute btw?

Kuco

Nice.

goat
    Free Member

Very classy looking bike there Chucky, perfect for the winter commute and training rides.

schmiken

Barring the mismatched cables that is 100% stunning. Love it.

ds3000
    Free Member

Very nice indeed, how do you find the centaur?

Vortexracing

I hope it’s not down to frame stiffness.

So do I, after spunking out the dosh 🙄

Does it use deep drop brakes?

Nope std drop with 25c tyres and B36 Bluemels SKS mudguards

How far is your commute btw?

25 mile either way

how do you find the centaur?

Really nice, I changed form 105 to it after having it on my other Enigma, I like the shape and feel of the hoods compared to either 105 or Ultegra.

and cheers Tom, I hope to be getting some longer rides in this winter.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nice buy mate, although pricey it does make a fantastic winter bike. Comfy and it won’t rust. I was just looking at those discounted Etapes a few days ago.

Ti just doesn’t do it for me ride wise though. Spending that sort of money is carbon for me every time.

Cheap carbon frames tend to be pretty harsh and at the price he will have paid for this Etape, it would be relatively cheap carbon as an alternative.

Besides, ti frames of this ilk are pretty stiff and light; they aren’t a million miles from (high end) carbon and a lot nicer to ride than low end carbon.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Very very classy, wise purchase.

Vortexracing

and at the price he will have paid for this Etape

Jim at Enigma did me the frame and fork as a purchase rather than the full bike which was advertised.

It was only a couple of hundred quid more than a Dolan dual and as the Echo I bought is so good I thought it was worth the small amount extra.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Stunning, but sort the skewer positions out.
    😀

Vortexracing

will do Jason 😀

wors

Very nice indeed.

brokensoul
    Free Member

That looks really pretty. Nice fish, enjoy.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Lovely that Vortex. Here’s my Ti bike. It’s nearly a year old now and was meant for all season round duties. Lovely to ride and a keeper. Its just too nice to let the salt spoil it. Miles for smiles.

tonyg2003

Cheap carbon frames tend to be pretty harsh and at the price he will have paid for this Etape, it would be relatively cheap carbon as an alternative.

Well at £1235 for a frame only (maybe the OP got his cheaper) you can get a nice complete carbon bike like a Trek Domane (mudguards clearance). They ride absolutely beautifully.

Vortexracing

It was cheaper than that (£900)

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve got exactly the same in 57cm.

Same wheels, veloce throughout apart from a Centaur triple chainset.

I’ve had slightly over 50mph on mine and it was as steady as a rock,in fact it’s so steady and comfy I don’t use any other road bike.

I’d like one with disc and clearances as a CX bike!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Oooo nice, you’ll aft give me a shout and come on a coffee shop tour

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well at £1235 for a frame only (maybe the OP got his cheaper) you can get a nice complete carbon bike like a Trek Domane (mudguards clearance).

Really? That is cheap and yes, the Domane by all accounts is very comfortable.

Still, I’d rake the Enigam over a Trek any day.

Vortexracing

Oooo nice, you’ll aft give me a shout and come on a coffee shop tour

your on, TM

I’ll txt you when I get back from hols after 1/2 term

I’ve had slightly over 50mph on mine and it was as steady as a rock

this wobble was a biggy, absolutely crapped myself, all I could picture was me sliding down the road at 45MPH.

The Echo is steady as a rock, I wonder if the mudguards have anything to do with it? side wind?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘My new Winter/Commuter – Enigam Ti roadie content & Piccies’ is closed to new replies.