Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My new single speed (BMX content)
  • mildred

Having sold my GT cruiser last year (instant regret) I started with just a King headset & began collecting NOS or discontinued parts in winter. I’ve finally finished it & I’m rather proud.

I’ve built it to accompany my 8-yr-old at the local track & to give him a bit of coaching – I sometimes find it easier to demonstrate something & tell him to copy than try to explain the subtleties.

In terms of spec’ I’ve gone for some slightly higher than usual bars – I’ve had slam bars for years but swapping between MTB & BMX felt a bit too big a difference – the renthals help counter that.

The wheels were a ball-ache; there doesn’t seem much of a choice for 24″ without spending daft money. I ended up buying some sale acs maindrive hubs (purple was the only choice), halo rims & some cheap dt Swiss db stainless spokes from rose bikes – the result is fantastic – lighter than many cruiser wheels I’ve had in the past.

The worst bit was the 3-piece cranks. I bought some alloy redline flights but due to the steel frame they looked OTT, so found these gusset pigmy 853 on eBay. What a nightmare; they’re 19mm x 48 spline – a once common standard. Beejeezus..! It’s a nightmare to find this size spindle these days – even gusset’s own ti axle doesn’t fit. I love the look but I hate fitting 3-piece cranks.

tthew

Mmmm. Likes a lot. Can I borrow it Monday night? Ta. 😀

mildred

Rentals only…

davosaurusrex

My oh my. That is lovely!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rentals only…

Renthals, shirley?

yunki
    Free Member

If I was ever gonna build a BMX…. It would be exactly like that

carlphillips
    Free Member

lush

racefaceec90

that’s bloody lovely 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It does look gleaming, but….

Purple hubs, red grip lock-ons. Also, valve/logo on the rear.

Unforgivable.

🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

Very nice, just finished building this up myself. I went for the same rims I think, but knobblier tyres as I want to use this at the trails as well as at the track. 24″ rules!

kayla1
    Free Member

Nice!

My 1999 DK General Lee 24-

mildred

Purple hubs, red grip lock-ons. Also, valve/logo on the rear.
    Unforgivable

I know, I know… My only defence is the spare parts bin, old stock, discontinued bits (tight arse) ethos of the build. 😳 the hubs may be purple but at least you do get a variety of sprockets to adjust the gearing.

I had a quick spin on it, and it’s soooo bloody fast to sprint on.

mildred

Steve, what is that? It looks a bit DMR.

Stevet1
    Free Member

It’s an invictus frame, made in the UK –

http://www.invictusbikes.com/

mildred

Nice (and they’re local to me… I’ve always fancied a custom road frame).

Funny you mention the rims; I had some real issues finding any decent 24″ rims – I have a set of alienation pbr’s but in comparison to the halos they’re quite low rent. In fact, these halos are some of the nicest rims I’ve built into wheels – I was very pleasantly surprised when they arrived.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My new single speed (BMX content)’ is closed to new replies.