Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • My New Orange Five
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Hi all

Just wanted to share yesterdays high after I built up my new Orange Five. FANTASTIC – put Talas 140’s on the front and climbs like a dream. Was surprised at the lack of bob on Pro-pedal (almost none). My old Marin MV 07 was too short – (on sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested 😉 ) after I bought it as a mint ex-demo rather hastely.

With the 140mm travel on the back it descends like a dream. Can’t wait to go to Afan in March (stag doo renunion) and doing the Kielder avalanche on it.

Here’s a piccy – it’s lovely (in my opinion) – just thought I would share it with you 😉 Some may disagree 😉

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

nice. im a big fan or 5’s, might add one to my shed in a few months

takisawa2

Bloody gorgeous mate.
    Did you buy the frame only ?
    (Can I ask how much ?)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes I bought it frame only – got it from Sunset MTB in Wales which were very helpful! I bought it for a little £25 shy of the RRP and + £100 for the Disco Black powder coat 😉

Foundry
    Free Member

Nice bike waiting for mine to come so that I can build it next week.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Happy new bike. I wish you many joyful years of riding with it.

You’re obviously a gent of some style and taste.
    Welcome to the club.

darrell
    Free Member

very nice indeed and if i ever get another fs the 5 is on the list. the stem seems a bit long mind

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

whats disco black like? is it metal flake?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes it Black gloss with a few metalic flakes in it – sparkley.

Darrell – I’ve only just built it and tranfered all my marin parts over so have not had a chance to get used to it completely – It may got to 80mm but I’ll give it a few months first. The seatpost is also a bit crappy but getting my mates inline Thomson nearly new for it 😉

darrell
    Free Member

i switched from a 100mm to a 80mm stem on my blur xc last summer. wish i’d done it earlier. much better handling bike now

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

To paraphrase the late Roy Scheider, ‘you’re gonna need bigger brakes’!

Welcome to the 5 club :D,

fingerbike
    Free Member

Looks lovely in that colour… bigger front rotor, shorter stem and flat pedals and it’d be perfect IMO…

vdubber67
    Free Member

Disco Black is gorgeous! Agree re the brake comment though.

Love my 5…..

Enjoy!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I could prob go with larger rotors with avid rotor convertors? Got to pay off the frame first 😉

iainc

lovely indeed, and cracking in that colour too -)

Just back from blasting mine round Glentress – have had it for about 8 months and it still makes me smile every time I ride it -)

iainc

…and yes, 80mm stem on mine…….

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm, mental note….must remember post, must remember post!

I may have a shorter stem you can try too Rich – I’ll have a look.

Nice bike by the way 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers Matey – yeh bring it along next weekend and I can have a play if its not required for a bit?

bomberman
    Free Member

why not go to a 50mm/60mm stem and a layback seatpost? that bike’s meant to be ragged all over the shop – don’t want a dirty stem hanging off the front of it do you?

foxyrider
    Free Member

But I do like it to climb well 😉

Burchy1
    Free Member

swapped the 90mm stem to a 70mm one on mine which improved the handling no end, definately worth trying.

Oh and that colour is luuuverly.

foxyrider
    Free Member

OK will prob try my mates shorter stem and try it out – cheers 😉

andylux
    Free Member

Looks SaWeet mate,

How did you find Sunset bikes were for buying from? any good?

Also did you get the maxle back end? I’ll be interested in you views in maxle over QR as I’m thinking of taking the 5 plunge!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sunset bikes were great and sorted out delivery as I was away abroad the week it arrived. They talked to Orange direct about the matt finish as they said the decals looked a bit dodgy so went for the Disco Blak – no regrets.

I didn’t get the maxle back end or 15mm front end as I didn’t want to have to try and convert my pro II hubs (wheels which I built myself 😉 ) otherwise I may have gone for the maxle TBH.

fbk
    Free Member

I meant to ask if you’d “maxled” it or not. Def agree with the comments re the shorter stem – made a huge difference on my bikes (why do manufacturers alway spec such long stems???). I’ll see what i’ve got at home.

Not sure about the bigger discs though what size are you running? Those avids are pretty sharp anyway so unless you’re taking it on some looong decents I doubt it would make much difference…. Does look better with meatier disc though 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got 160mm rotors on them – I find the breaking fine at the mo – i’ll see how they go depending wether I kill myself on at the kielder avalanche 😉 How’s your bike reconstruction going? 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Erm, slowly. Managed to source a mount for my shifter and still haven’t decided if the rear mech is salvagable yet.

Might try and cut the monkeylite bars down (only damage seems to be where the bar end ripped off). Seatpost is on it’s way; still need a saddle. And bar ends but they can wait! A few other bit’s could do with replacing (cosmetically) but will have to wait.

Oh, and I need to find a secure roof carrier 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Do you ever do any work Neil 🙂 unlike me who save lives every 5-10 minutes 😉

fbk
    Free Member

How dare you – I’m busy saving lives as we speak – just typing with my left hand 😉

Actually it is quite quiet today….Ssshhhh

GaryLake
    Free Member

I went to 40mm stem on mine, great on the downs but a handful on the climbs – now got a 60mm and it’s still good going down and acceptable going up. 70-80mm seems to be the happy medium for most people…

Oh and sort out the valves and logos!!!

Finally, the five deserves a better front tyre than that too – I promise you, once you get up to speed on the five, the MKing (while fine on the rear) will hold it back big time. My Five only ever seems to truly be itself whenever I run my 2.35 Kenda Blue Groove.

Wicked bike mate!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think I give it a couple of months then I’ll have something to compare it to – take me a while to figure these things out 😉

andylux
    Free Member

foxyrider,

How tall are you please mate? you mentioned that your old marin was too small.

Its just that i’m considering the same purchase, and think i’m between sizes, 18″ & 20″.

I’m 6’2″, would ideally like to get away with an 18″ as my steerer isn’t long enough for the 20″.

I really don’t want to end up with a frame thats too short!!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you weighed the frame before you built it up? Or does anyone else know the weight of the latest 5?

foxyrider
    Free Member

yes its exactly 3Kg 🙂 I weigh all my frames before assembly as its too much hastle to dismantle 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am 6ft andylux and it was a Medium 07 frame 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t want to have to try and convert my pro II hubs

2 second job on the front, isn’t it?

rOcKeTdOg

looks lovely, do you work for channel 5 TV though?, looks like their logo on the swingarm

foxyrider
    Free Member

2 second job on the front, isn’t it?

Well yes but thought I’d stick with what I know and thought I’d spend enough on it already 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

No I don’t work for Channel Five but Hmmmm…..

GaryLake
    Free Member

Well it’s just Helvetica Neue – bit unfortunate and I’m surprised no one at Orange picked up on it…

Wonder if they’ll do ’08 decals on request..lol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘My New Orange Five’ is closed to new replies.