Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My new (old) Fargo build. Shimano CX75 brakes.
  • midlifecrashes

After months of waiting (promised myself to fund this by offloading other stuff), it lives!

Since these are new, here’s a couple of close-ups of the Shimano CX75 road disc. They work with 160mm without adapters, pulled by 105 STIs and Cane Creek Crosstop levers on this build, full length outers.

First impressions are really good, doddle to bolt on and connect up, and on a quick ride they seem to just work, no faff. Will sort stem spacers etc once I fine tune, and will probably treat it to a new saddle, but more likely it will get my old Brooks B17.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

nice bike but brick work needs work 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Was very tempted, but ended up getting the old faithfull BB7s..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kevevs
    Free Member

oh I like that. Exactly the sort of thing I want for my next bike.

swmlon
    Free Member

Does this come with the mounts to attach to bike? I’m interested in these brake calipers, but want to know what else I need to get to fit to bike as I know it doesn’t come with rotors or adapters to use disc rotors sized other than 160. Thanks

midlifecrashes

Sorry I missed your post. They come with no rotors, levers, cables, adaptors or tools. You get one caliper, with pads fitted, and a pair of bolts to attach to your fork or frame. There is no front or rear model, you use the same one. My frame is set up so that if you bolt them straight on (post mount), then they fit 160mm rotors. If you want to bigger with the rotor, you buy an adaptor. If your frame/fork is IS mount, you will need an adaptor anyway and may be forced to go bigger than 160mm for the rotor because of the adaptor. Having ridden the bike a bit now, they’re working great and can stop the bike from speed very well, and quite controllably. I’d imagine if you had skinny roadie tyres on they will be the limiting factor on slowing rather than the brake. I’m on 2″ Big Apple tyres and can make them skid if I grab a big handful.

scotroutes

Quick question – how is pad adjustment carried out?

midlifecrashes

Hex key fits in the back for fixed pad. Easy enough to do it with a standard Allen key with wheel in place, but awkward with bigger multitools. No such worries with wheel out. For moving pad side, a hex bolt adjuster near the cable clamp. Again, easy enough with standard Allen key, bit of a pain with multitool if your rear caliper is inside the angle of the frame. Typically Shimano, different size key to the other adjuster and the cable clamp.

midlifecrashes

Oh go on then, have some pics since it’s out.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Shiny, shiny – looks like the same finish as the old XTR M960 stuff – me likey.

boblo
    Free Member

If you don’t mind me asking, where from and how much please?

remoterob
    Free Member

What sort of cable end caps are you using? I had to search around for something that would fit, felt like I was missing the ideal solution.

Boblo, I paid £37.50 each from Hargroves Cycles but they are out of stock now.

STATO
    Free Member

Tidy looking bike but your really need to peel some, if not all, of those rim stickers off.

midlifecrashes

I paid £25 for one from Evans when there was a discount code doing the rounds a while back and £45(RRP) from Harry Hall for the other. Evans only had one in stock and Harry Hall were the only ones showing them on their webpage after a search. (Hargroves were out, too). I’d have thought regular stock ought to be coming through by now, but they do seem a bit rare.

Cable end caps are whatever came with a Shimano cable kit from Clas Ohlsen.

Probably right about the stickers, though. When funds/time allow, and I’ve had a few proper jaunts to justify them, I’ll have some dynohub wheels built up and put these wheels back on the classifieds, so the stickers can stay for now. I like the reflective strip on the tyres though. Since the above pics it’s gained Tubus racks, bluemels guards,a stem that fits me better, spacers that match and a Spa Cycles Nidd saddle.

takisawa2

Lovely bike. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My new (old) Fargo build. Shimano CX75 brakes.’ is closed to new replies.