Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • My New Nomad
  • Radioman

Finally finished building it.. only thing i’m waiting for is the RS Reverb seatpost that i’ve ordered fom my LBS..

My first carbon MTB.. “very all mountain” 🙂 Testing it out a Woburn hopefully tomorrow if its not raining.

ojom
    Free Member

That looks great – get out in the rain anyway!

Radioman

Cheers i think i will be taking it out whatever. I swapped the wheels and quite a few bits from my favourite ever bike (05 Spec Sx Trail) to build this. The position on this feels fairly similar so should ride well. It feels a lot lighter though so should be a help on the climbs!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Stunning.

Really, really, nice.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Best not take it out if it’s raining, I heard that carbon fibre frames go all soft and wobbly in the rain 😉

Seriously that bike is a ‘game changer’….Have fun.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

My first carbon MTB.. “very all mountain” Testing it out a Woburn hopefully tomorrow if its not raining.

woburn and all mountain in the same sentence – rofl

bellerophon
    Free Member

I do love coil shocks, very nice bike

rOcKeTdOg

all mountain

but it can’t do rain??

Radioman

Cheers all ..Nomad is very good for coil shocks as it has enough room in the frame for a big shock with a low stroke ratio and doesnt need massive springs, like on the new Spec Enduro coil versions. The forks are coil 08 Lyrics off my old bike and are now v plush after TF tuning earlier this year. This bike will be fine in wet and has easy service pivits with grease ports. U even get a grease gun with it!

jimjam
    Free Member

Would be very interested to know how you think it compares to the sx trail, after a proper dh shakedown of course.

kudos100
    Free Member

That looks bloody terrible mate. I bet it will ride like a 3 legged camel. I think you should sell it to me at a hefty discount and get something else.

Radioman

I cant wait to take it to Fort Bill. I think that will be the real test.

My SX trail was so good last Summer in Salbaach/Hinterglemm/Leogang that I thought i wanted to try something similar, but was a bit easier to climb on as I found myself doing quite a bit of “off piste” trails there that needed climbing..

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Nah, rubbish. Wouldn’t ever want one of those, not one bit. Ever.

😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Radioman, what happened to the SX Trail? I had one from 2005 also and ended up cracking the main frame.

brakes
    Free Member

very nice
    probably my dream bike
    b***ard

heihei

gt – he’d never ride the sx trail hard enough to break it 😉

Tim – looking forward to trying it head-to-head with this…

PS Pedals and saddle changed!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Does is go out it the rain though?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Nice – did I see that in the stand at TwoWheels yesterday? With all the filthy, muddy parts off your old frame on it?

simonm
    Free Member

very nice, Looks a bit like mine, (yes the chain is wrong side roller..was rushing !) – Weighs in at 28.5lbs 😯

simonm
    Free Member

BTW, The LYRICS are AMAZING.

Radioman

Thanks all..Nice to see another Nomad and yes Mr Hei Hei Adam’s Custard colour(sorry 😉 ) His Mojo will be interesting to compare. i did give the nomad a fair “shakedown at Woburn in the End..approx 4hrs. Did a few drops and the XC riding there too. Its now resting in the garage covered in filth…yes i dont mind getting the bike mucky! The rider isnt keen on going out in horizontal rain though!

It’s much better on climbs than my SX trail. That might be the weight, or “new bike euphoria”. I managed to get up first go a steep tech climb first go that I failed 3 times a few weeks ago on the SX despite its more “climb friendly” 32 front ring vs the new Nomad’s 36. When you ride the bike you dont feel a great weight difference to the SX its more noticable when you pick it up. I believe it did make me faster uphill. The VPP suspension may also help. I understand that it “digs in ” a bit. The grip was noticibly good on the uphills. (I am using same tyres and wheels as on my old SX.

In terms of handling my ’05 Sx was a small frame size and the new Nomad is a Medium. I was told the Medium suits my 5’8″ size. I agree. The SX was a little small in comparison. The Nomad feels more stable in the air and going downhill. One thing I appreciated was the new style low rise bars and low rise headset i fitted it certainly handled fast singletrack very very well and I would even say better than the SX which was a bit more “twitchy”.

The DHX RC coil shock is great. I added a bit of low speed compression damping and there is no “bob”. It feels great on the drops too with no perceptible bottom out yet despite hard flat landings.

Regarding the Lyric forks. Mine (2008’s) were rubbish for the first year of ownership and suffered from lots of stiction. However I finally realised that it “wasn’t me” and sent them to TF for a service. They found the bushes had been put in out of line from new, like on many Lyrics I hear…GRRRRR!. Since TF sorted them they are fantastic and work as they should.

Radioman

GT regarding the SX trail frame. Its now sadly in a bike bag and I think i’m gonna have to sell it. I did once get a hairline crack on the rear end and I had that upgradeed and rear end replaced by Specialized warranty, but I agree that my riding on it wasnt hard enough to crack the main frame …that part seems very tough! I did bust a rear hope hub on it once though 🙂 that was due to rotten landings at Fort bill..not rad stuff.

jedi

tim, bikes just rock 🙂

Radioman

Cheers Mr T .. I love em. just wish I had more time to ride…must have been great today.. i like sun in winter and a bit of frost…seasons..well appreciated on the bike

jedi

i spent all day digging in the fog!

Radioman

well done anyway I hear that its looking great in Herts now with lots more new bits you have added.. Im gonna have to hit the sack ..back to rat race soon 🙁

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘My New Nomad’ is closed to new replies.