Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • My new BLACK bike
  • andyha
    Free Member
    timbur
    Free Member

andy – help me out with that pic? No idea mate.

andyha
    Free Member

Johnny Cash, the man in Black

peanut
    Free Member

timbur- you said you demoed the Spaceframe. Just wondered how the ride of the diamond frame compared and wether it was just a financial decision to go with that?

timbur
    Free Member

Def a financial decision. I would have loved a Space frame but it was a stretch too far for me at present.
    The Spaceframe is so neutral at pootling speed but it comes into it’s own when you ramp up gear and give it some. The Diamond is like a big toy. Quick, nimble and a lot of fun but want to roll over everything.
    If you’re interested then get hold of Charlie the Bikemonger or Biff and arrange a demo. Biff has a diamond locally and Charlie has a Space.
    Tim

timbur
    Free Member

Man in Black? And there’s me thinking it was Will Smith.

(I’ll get my coat)

Mackem

Let down by the cables IMO.

peanut
    Free Member

Bumped into Charlie recently and had a very quick go on a Spaceframe he had built up for someone. It was a gamechanger. Yeah, I would find it a stretch to get the spaceframe, but the diamond a bit more within reach. Is Biff down south do you know?

timbur
    Free Member

Yeap, just East of me in Eastbourne.
    Try;
    biff@yesweareontheweb.com
    Watch out, he’s a very nice man. Mention I sent you as I stil owe him money.

Mackem – I didn’t want it to loog too much like a bruise and silver Goodridge cables happened to be in the shed. Guess I could have used the carbon coloured ones but that seemed wrong as well being as it’s steel. I even avoided using carbon stackers for that same reason.

timbur
    Free Member

Opps, Charlie has a demo Spaceframe. It was the one I built up and had for a few months. X9 groupo on it.

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Looking good, just waiting for mine 8)

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Timbur, has it got black decals on or no decals ?

timbur
    Free Member

No decals – I had a word with Biff and appealed to his lazy side. I have the sheet of them if I change my mind (I won’t)

That green bike was in my shed as well. I tinkered with the brakes. The green is a lot more acceptable in real life than it is in the picture. Saying that I still couldn’t live with it.

jameso

I have the sheet of them if I change my mind (I won’t)

Good call, my black steel Jones was decal-free for a while then I put the white ones on – it looks better all-black. But I left them on anyway, will remove as soon as they get scuffed.

I love the green frames, 2 wrongs make something that just looks nuts. I’m a sucker for black bikes tho and the Jones really suits it.

timbur
    Free Member

It’s not a photogenic green that’s for sure. Somewhere there’s a pic of one in Germany where the build included a lot of ano red with the green frame and fork. Lots of wrongs just make it wrong.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Mama – I thought you had that sorted years ago. Wasn’t it small Kona’s that you had a problem with?

He he, well small anything really – I just can’t help myself. Down to just one bike now and two frames (FS geared and hardtail singlespeed) which I alternate when boredom sets in.

timbur
    Free Member

I need to do that as well.
    Too much not being used in the shed.

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Mines going black with as much black as poss , with both 29 and Fat front options to play with . Not having a truss fork though at this stage.

peanut
    Free Member

There’s someone selling a truss fork on the uk fatbike website. £350 I think.

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Yeah I saw that 8) thanks

Clink

Having ridden the truss and standard forks I would go with the truss if it’s an option.

timbur
    Free Member

Yeap, save a bit mor eand go Truss.
    Talk to Biff.

Atomizer

Very nice indeed – spinal tap black!
    I went 1×10 on mine with clutch mech and no chain guide – no chain jumping yet.

YoGrant
    Free Member

De-sticker the rims Tim and it’ll look ace. Gx

timbur
    Free Member

Grant – exactly what Biff said :O)

nedrapier

very nice indeed. I agree with Biff and YG.

YoGrant
    Free Member

Bifff knows best :0)

YoGrant
    Free Member

I think the green looks ace too btw.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Grea bike! You definitely need wide rims and 2.4 tyres though – I’ve had my rear tyre at 15psi with tubes – though I’d hold back until the Surly 50mm rims are available – a fat front is a must too 😀 – if you fancy hooking up for a ride, I’m not far away – maybe get Biff along too as I’ve been meaning to arrange a ride with him too.

rexated
    Free Member

Those diamond frames are looking lovely to me now….it’s taken a couple of years but the aesthetic of the diamond + truss fork has now grown on me 😀
    Anyone care to say if it is a night and day difference between the standard from and a spaceframe?
    (not that I should be entertaining such thoughts at all given the state of my bank balance).

I agree with what others have said about rim stickers though…once you’ve gone fully black you’ll never look back…..(so i’ve heard)

jameso

Anyone care to say if it is a night and day difference between the standard from and a spaceframe

I have a ti SF and a steel diamond, for what that comparison is worth .. Bought the ti first, was so impressed that I went for a steel one for tours/bikepacking/risking on a plane. IMO there’s a difference but the geometry and truss fork are the main things, material and space/diamond is a fine-tune. The ti is smoother, lighter and flexier in all directions. Definately some vertical spring that adds comfort. Steel diamond is a riot, very direct and totally solid in a good way. The diamond is still a comfy rigid bike since so much it comes from the rider positioning, but it’s no flexy noodle and that has trade-offs. Both are great bikes in their own right.

timbur
    Free Member

FRC – sounds good. Will have to work it around kids and life though so sometime in the new year???

rexated
    Free Member

cheers jameso!

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘My new BLACK bike’ is closed to new replies.