• This topic has 30 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • My new bike (long travel content)
  • mboy
    Free Member

Picked this up last weekend off a guy off this very forum. Changed a few bits over (got rid of the SRAM for my trusty Shimano XTR mech and shifters, my DT wheels, and my XT 4 pot brakes) from my old bike, then went riding it at Afan this weekend. And it was awesome!

More pics can be found

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice. Very nice indeed.

From experience (one of the Squadron has one!) an adjustable post would be a good investment.

zaskar
    Free Member

It’s rubbish.

Just kidding!

nice bike!

and even better still not an on-wong. 😆

mboy
    Free Member

CFH

Yeah DEFINITELY that’s the next thing on the list to buy (once I’ve got a new job anyway), probably the i900 one, then the Thomson can go back on my Maverick. Certainly the bike deserves one, it climbs brilliantly for a long travel bike, but you have to drop the saddle 4 inches to give it the DH stance it deserves. Certainly it doesn’t half descend well, and the rock gardens on the end of the black section of White’s Level at Afan were dealt with very quickly and smoothly! 😀

Link is here for those who want to see more pics, sorry the above one didn’t work!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve got an i900 going on my Enduro at the moment. Had a play with it in the shop (forks are getting a service) and was very, very impressed. Build quality looks excellent, not TOO heavy either.

Olly
    Free Member

Oooo dunno about that mboy, i hear those things are death traps.
    and they burst into flames at the slightest hint of mud
    and when the snap at speed the noise attracts an army of angry squirrels.
    so i hear.
    tell you what, as im so helpful, i can take it off your hands and arrange for safe disposal for a minor fee?….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Edited, as I realised Olly was talking to the OP.

*Steps away from the Tanglefoot….*

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers Olly, your gesture is appreciated. I think I’ll pretend I didn’t read your comment though, and carry on riding it in blissful ignorance for a while though 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Nice Mboy…

Seeing this has reminded me you dropped me a message – yep still interested. Lets arrange something – when you next in Cheltenham?

mboy
    Free Member

Bushwacked, no worries. Was in Cheltenham this afternoon, can’t pop round tomorrow as I’ve got a job interview in the afternoon (fingers crossed), but Wednesday/Thursday/Friday pretty much any time if you want. If you’ve still got my number, drop me a text, or an email.

mboy
    Free Member

Incidentally, anyone else got a Reign X with a Fox DHX Air and Float 36RC2’s, and if so, what setups do you run on the shock and forks, and how heavy are you. Experimenting with setups still, and there is a LOT to adjust in all, so any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Kit
    Free Member

I kinda miss my Reign…

nickc

I wanted a set of the old XT 4 pots when they first came out, and I still want a set now…

Nice bike BTW

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Mboy – no worries about tomorrow / today – I’m working all day with hopefully an hour or two at Pittville skatepark. I should be about the rest of the week although have the day off on Wednesday to entertain the kids so not sure what I am doing.

Good luck with the interview.

sockpuppet

the noise attracts an army of angry squirrels.

[looks around nervously]

dave_aber
    Free Member

Weeds in photo shocker. Poor skills.

mboy
    Free Member

Anybody else out there with a Reign X? Any feedback, especially on the setup etc?

Cheers

daim

@mboy – I have a 2007 Reign X0 and love it. The biggest problem I am going to have is finding a bike I like more to replace it with at some point.

I find I like the shock on the squishy side (plenty of sag) as the bike seems more planted. Oh, and turn off the pro-pedal. no need for that as the Maestro does a top job on it’s own. I have some ‘zocchis on the front of mine so can’t advise you on fork set-up.

The only negative I have about the bike is that the BB height is very low so careful pedalling is required. Other than that it’s the mutts.

Enjoy!

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah daim, has to be said I’ve only ridden it twice so far, but it seems like it will be a hard act to follow. It certainly descends as well as my DH bike did, but it goes uphills too! Frame seems plenty stiff enough in the right directions too, something my old Bullit wasn’t.

Had briefly messed with the propedal, and like you say, the suspension is so efficient it doesn’t really need any wound on! Even my mate who’s a die hard lightweight XC bike rider commented on how it doesn’t bob. Regarding the BB height, you’re right, but after 2 long travel bikes with BB’s that were too tall for defo, it’s nice to have a bike that feels more planted. That said I will be fitting shorter cranks ASAP (I’m used to 170’s anyway, though am even considering 165’s) to help, I did smack the pedals a couple of times (mainly on climbs not descending) at Afan.

Incidentally, were you still interested in my 66’s? Sorry it took me so long to get photos to you in the end, they’re still available if you are interested.

radoggair
    Free Member

Tschhh, and we made a bet he wouldn’t sell it, not with that crack hidde……………..

mboy
    Free Member

radoggair – Member

Tschhh, and we made a bet he wouldn’t sell it, not with that crack hidde……………..

Eh?

Care to tell me what dropoff did to it then? Or are you just pulling my leg? 😕

willy
    Free Member

IVe got a reign and its freekin awesome!! raced the Mountain mayhem on it (xc to the max) and did two weeks in the alps on it!! does everyhting for me, even tho i have just bought another bike, but sssh dont tell it.

GW
    Free Member

mboy –
    Regarding the BB height, you’re right, but after 2 long travel bikes with BB’s that were too tall for defo, it’s nice to have a bike that feels more planted. That said I will be fitting shorter cranks ASAP (I’m used to 170’s anyway, though am even considering 165’s) to help, I did smack the pedals a couple of times (mainly on climbs not descending) at Afan.

Reigns really don’t have that low a BB, not low enough to have to use 165mm cranks anyway (IMO), just plan ahead, choose better lines and time your pedal strokes through ruts/rocks etc. the benefits once you get used to proper low BBs are well worth it, infact I now find it horrible riding anything else.

Kit
    Free Member

Unless the Reign X is significantly different to the standard Reign, I didn’t feel like it had a low BB at all, and I was using 175mm cranks. The bike was/is an awesome climber which makes up for any pedal strikes.

solamanda
    Free Member

Buy my spare 165mm saints ;o)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

test rode a large one at the weekend, took 20 seconds to wheelie the thing accross the car park, 20meters to get me launching off track side treestumps, 20minutes to get me droping off takeoffs i’d not even normaly look at!

just watch out for the “hardtail is all you need round here” group, the niche boys were not impressed at cannock by being overtaken on a relatively flat section of track!

The BB is lowwwwwwwwwwww, either that or i needed more spring, could mash the pedals on undulating singletrack!

kpt1972
    Free Member

i test rode one at nant last year and after riding a hard tail for years loved it from the minute i got on it,rode a specialized s-works enduro sl on the same day and thought it was a dog in comparison

molgrips
    Free Member

Can someone describe the bike in the pic for me please, the pic site is blocked from work.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The bike in the pic is made of metal, has handlebars, seat, pedals, two wheels and suspension front and back.

Tracey

Abigale loves hers

Now in girlie form

Tracey

mboy
    Free Member

That Reign does look sweet in Pink Tracey, it has to be said. Not sure as a bloke I could get away with riding it though mind!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My new bike (long travel content)’ is closed to new replies.