Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • My new bike. (fist pie content).
  • ton

i have come to the decision that any riding is better than no riding, hence my lastest purchase to help me get out until i get well enough to ride proper again.
    any one who laughs will recieve a large portion of fist pie………………… 8)

http://www.50cycles.com/product.htm?product=kalkhoff-pro-connect-disc

should be landing sometime next week.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bloody hell, you could buy a nice bike without a motor for that!

ton

Dave, which is of no use what so ever if you cant ride it.

wwaswas

whatever works, ton – they’re all bikes 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Forgot the 😉 after my comment Tony!

tang
    Free Member

great idea!

Bregante

Well done that man! Enjoy

Kevevs
    Free Member

Niche. Needs bar mirror, saddlepack, pump, bottle, lights and computer. and a self-referencing charliethebikemonger sticker. Better than lying about feeling rubbish eh?

boblo
    Free Member

Do you get a free Dutch housewife with each one? She could bake you soem more pies for, errrr, fisting……

ski
    Free Member

That looks very neat for battery bike Ton

Any idea what the range will be like on it?

Owww, go on then, top speed as well 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😉

sv

‘Nice rack’ comments await you 😉

Wookster

Welcome back to the fold ton!!!! ….what ever works they’re all bike……bit shocked at the most senceable thing ever said on STW….. 😆 glad you’ll be back out mate….still reckon you’ll flog it in a month mind, for a carbon bling version 8) nice rack pmsl

woody2000

250W motor, 468wH battery, so about 1 3/4 hours? Or is that tooo simplistic?

Top speed – with Tony onboard, not much I imagine 😉

ton

ski, the bloke in the shop reckons 100miles.
    i think it will be less in real terms.
    thing is, i only need the assist when climbing, so i reckon i can get a 40/50 mile ride out of a charge.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you ever seen the mint sauce cartoon where he has an alergic reaction to a bike under £800?
    That’ll be you lying in a ditch whilst twitching and foaming at the mouth.

ski
    Free Member

Thanks Ton, just read in the owners feedback section, that the motor has a cutout at 15mph to keep it within the UK law for road use.

Wonder if that can be disabled for off road use 😉

ton

Wonder if that can be disabled for off road use

i will tell you after next weekend.
    going to the howgills for the weekend, and i will be doing a few of the easier low level tracks around there.

elliptic
    Free Member

Kalkhoff! I had a Kalkhoff racer when I was teenager… so it gets a thumbs up from me 🙂

(mind you… you might not want to pay too much attention to my taste in bikes after my picture thread this morning…)

marsdenman
    Free Member

‘What batteries for a……” 😀

Seriously Ton, enjoy it and get well soon!
    Chris

thomthumb
    Free Member

your tenacity has to be applauded, most people in your situation would probably mope about the house complaining and polish their bike until it looked brand new.

hope it gets you riding.

Blower
    Free Member

i like it.

duntstick
    Free Member

I saw a guy on something similar tear-arseing past some freshly shaven roadies like he didn’t have care in the world.
    Nice that it comes with it’s own de-fib pack 8)
    Hope it helps you back to form 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

So how does the exercise part of all this work?
    Do you have a heart rate that you shouldn’t exceed or is it just a case of don’t get out of puff?

I’m sure just getting out into the fresh air on some trails will do you the world of good. I would probably get rid of the kickstand though!

takisawa2

With a more suitable tyre I’ll bet that will be more capable than you’d think off-road. Angles etc, look ok. Probably dont need the rack, gaurds or lights, so bit of weight to come off there. Stem would worry me a bit also.
    My F-in-L has an electric bike, but its a hideous thing, that weighs as much as a castle.
    Enjoy.

Did you sell your Ventana then ?

TiRed

Great choice, I’m sure you’ll like it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MTFU get on the trainer Yorkshire lad 😉
    Hope you enjoy it

Taff
    Free Member

Obviously I have missed something? What happened Ton?

clydebuilt
    Free Member

I like it, and a friend has a similar thing which was de-regulated and reportedly did 30mph…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

As others have said ton, so long as it works. PMSL at your use of ‘fist pie’. Here in Barnsley, we would offer to give you ‘some shoe’. I love Yorkshire me!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

rode one of them in my lbs

i can confirm they reach warp speed at an alarming rate and have the ramming power to take out an entire stand of power bars and energy drink.

Travis

is it tech riding (a bike) with a battery, or just sitting?

Getting out on a bike though +1

Hope you can get out on real bike soon.

big_scot_nanny

you’d fit right in here, being one of the bastards who cruises past me on the uphill back to the house!

Have you had a go on one yet, they are mad, a bizarre feeling and i imagine a feeling one could get very used to!

Kev

big_scot_nanny

FWIW, Wired mag has yours as their no. 1 electric bike this month.

Doesn’t get much better than that. 😀

Kev

RealMan
    Free Member

Does it need such a complex chain tensioner? What’s the longest travel fork it can take? Hope you enjoy it.

andyh2
    Free Member

These are great, excellent choice for an elec assist bike. I had the completely uncool step-thru version with the not so good nexus 7 speed.

Most elec assist systems use a hub motor which is usually cheaper but is only really efficient around a particular ‘average’ speed. The crank motor on these means the power runs through the gears which is much better for hill climbing or load carrying. It gives a nice extra boost as you begin pedalling which is great for accelerating from a stop. Though you do need to be a bit careful at roundabouts.

With 18ah battery you should be fine for 50 miles. I had 12ah and got around 35 miles.

The legal limit for assist is 15mph. You can ride as fast as you like, but the assist stops at around 15mph. So above that it’s all up to you.

It would be difficult / complicated to de-restrict electrics, but as the power runs through the gears you can increase the speed at which it will assist to by simply changing rear cog for a smaller one. Of course that raises the ratio of all the gears so you’d need to check that’d be OK for your normal riding area. If you like it and it’s a keeper you could always upgrade to Alfine 11 and have both lower and higher gears.

Really great for commuting as on days you wouldn’t be bothered or couldn’t face the headwind etc you still get out there riding.

DO follow advice for initial battery conditioning as it will make a big difference to range.

The one thing I didn’t get on with is that the power available is also related to cadence with max power around 40RPM tapering off to no power around 65RPM. In practise that means that sometimes when hill climbing you’re better off changing up a gear to decrease cadence and increase the power. Pretty counter intuitive and I didn’t like it.

It works fine for most of the target market, but most folk who cycle regularly prefer higher cadence levels.

I now know there’s a fix for that which is to change the motor sprocket. This moves max power, and the power down phase, up the cadence range and would feel more ‘normal’. I really wish I’d known about the fix before I let the bike go!

ski
    Free Member

i will tell you after next weekend.
    going to the howgills for the weekend, and i will be doing a few of the easier low level tracks around there.

Bump, so how did it go ton?

tk46hal
    Free Member

I like it, but I do have strange tastes! I also like 29er’s! 😀

markd
    Free Member

had a good laugh at Eurobike last year playing on some.

What wasn’t as much fun was seeing some upright commuter pulling away from me up hill one night on the way home. Never one not to try and race on the commute, i gave chase. Passed and looked at how the seemingly elderly lady was caning so fast…. massive powerpack bolted to pannier rack.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘My new bike. (fist pie content).’ is closed to new replies.