• This topic has 51 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • My new 456 Summer Season
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Heres my new ride, freshly finished and on the maiden voyage,

need to get out somewhere and give it some proper abuse.

Stoner
    Free Member

that looks perfect (except for lack of bar end caps 🙂
    A-

nice build.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

apple coreing tastic

RDL-82
    Free Member

yep i know the damn things have gone and hid some where 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Great colour for an Inbred

hora
    Free Member

Great frame/build. I swapped out my Pikes for my longer Z1’s for this weeks ride. It was appalling- really really quick steering, nervous almost. Pikes are spot on!

Vortexracing

Just going to finish building my mates tonight.

will post some piccies when done.

He has pikes as well

Nice bike BTW

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hora how do longer forks make the steering faster?

wwaswas

is that thing with a face a cd rack?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Hora how do longer forks make the steering faster?

I wondered as well until I realised T’hora had posted the comment. Maybe he means more flip-flop?

Anyhoo, nice looking build. 16″ or 18″ frame?

hora
    Free Member

It wasnt the fork length it was stability sorry, something wasnt right at all- it felt twitchy/nervous and unstable.

sv

Rear tyre/valve alignment aside its loverly!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

It wasnt the fork length it was stability sorry, something wasnt right at all- it felt twitchy/nervous and unstable.

Slack HA exacerbated by (over)long forks can make the steering weird. It turns OK within a limited range and then suddenly goes, almost “over-steering”. Sort of flip-flop :-S

There’s probably a great and logical technical explanation but in general it just means don’t go too long. Given Brant designed it (IIRC) to be dead-stable with mid-length forks all this urge to put mahoosive long ones on seems a bit silly.

Hey-ho.

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s a lovely bike. though someone pulled me up the other day for rim/tyre logo alignment so i feel compelled to point out that, although they are undoubtedly aligned, the adjacent logs on rim and tyre are different on the different wheels.

10/10 for everything else, though 😉

BlingBling
    Free Member

Chopertastic!

hora
    Free Member

Cheeky Monkey – that sounds about right. I do remember Brant BRANT (shouts) mentioning that someone was riding one with Fox 36’s on though? Crazy. It didnt feel right at all. Riding along flat or climbing- fine but on descents I felt like I had completely lost my mojo

I_Ache
    Free Member

Maybe it was your forks you are prone to having bad luck with forks.

brant
    Free Member

Hora – it was probably a bunch of slackness slacker than you were used to. Possibly not “wrong” just different. Summer seasons are slack, and to then slacken it more is possibly a leap too far for some.
    On-One have just landed a couple of sample super slack Summer Season samples with head angles 2 deg slacker than the standard one. Hope to pick ’em up this week.

hora
    Free Member

Whoooa holy smoke Batman! Are you trying to copy that Kona Cruiser Brant? 😉

RDL-82
    Free Member

there’s always someone ready to spot the little things 😀 yeah i know about the tryes but i just couldn’t be bothered to sort it as was to eager to ride the thing, its done now mind.

@ wwaswas, yeah it was a cd rack just stuck out there all alone, someone obvioulsy thought the place needed funking up.

@ cheeky monkey, its an 18″

BigDummy
    Free Member

I know that’s the point, but cripes that looks slack! Fine looking bike, just really, really slack.

😯

brant
    Free Member

I know that’s the point, but cripes that looks slack!

I’ve honestly not found “too slack” yet. Not when done right.
    Most peoples experience of slack bikes is a normal bike with long forks on, which kicks the seat angle back too, taking weight off the front, onto the rear wheel. When you DESIGN a slack headangle, and put the seat angle in the right place, which means it’ll still climb and handle, but with much more stability.

Kept me right side up yesterday anyhow 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I still don’t get this bike. Unless you have super long balls out fast descents where the stability is a good thing but surely its a big wandering dog of a bike to climb up anything even remotely steep on?

what_tyres
    Free Member

I bought one coz it was cheap and expected it to be rubbish uphill and only fun on the way down.

How wrong was I? With Marzocchi AM1s on it climbs better than the ETSX I had before and I had got up short sharp ups that I could never climb before. All this talk of getting the angles right seems to work…

brant
    Free Member

surely its a big wandering dog of a bike to climb up anything even remotely steep on?

yeah. I thought that too, until I actually rode one.

brant
    Free Member

Unless you have super long balls out fast descents

It rocks for Hebden Step Tech too 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My version of the Summer Season

I_Ache
    Free Member

Has anybody tryed these with 130 forks on?

brant
    Free Member

Has anybody tryed these with 130 forks on?

Fine with 100’s on, Lovely with 130’s on, getting slacker but rideable with 140’s on. Fun and chopped out with 150s.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Brant thats the second time youve helped me with this frame today thanks.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had Revelations on for a while and sort of went through a revelation / pike swapping time for a month or two.

It felt nice with Revs but more fun with Pikes. Revs made it feel better balanced too I thought as the Pikes are a tad heavy to the front. It climbed slightly better with 130mm revs as well but in the end, the ride of it downhill just felt more fun with Pikes (fun = hooligan IMO) so the fun factor and stiffness (therefore hooligan-ness) won in the end.

Revs now on Ebay.

My new addition. Love it. Nice one Brant.

And thanks for the wheel Coolhandluke.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Marin_Maketh_The_Man, your ODI logos aren’t horizontal! Please rotate your grips by 90 degrees.

glad you’re happy with the wheel.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ll borrow that ti prototype of yours sometime Brant for a ride around Hebden…

CHL – Sorry, it was a late night build!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Summer with 130mm forks is good

and YES, I sorted out the cabling.

brant
    Free Member

I’ll borrow that ti prototype of yours sometime Brant for a ride around Hebden…

You’ll have to wait until I’ve got something better. Oh. And I can’t get my front wheel off since I snapped my DT gubbins off yesterday. Bit gutted. It was nigh on £40 that skewer.

garage-dweller

Sorry if this an f-wit q? But has anyone got an idea what this’d weigh with XT build, VAN32’s, good quality XC finishing kit and some light wheels?

I’m thinking about reducing my fleet to a single bike and I’m tempted by a 456/summer as it’d let me use the best of all my kit on one bike with a spare pair of BEEFY wheels.

MrNutt
    Free Member

gotta say I thik the SS is the nicest on-one ever to come out of the shed, all those angles just look spot on, really good looking bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘My new 456 Summer Season’ is closed to new replies.