Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • My name is Rich. I am addicted to buying mountain bikes.
  • rnewell1973
    Free Member

Anyone else out there find it hard to stop?

As soon as I got the steed just how I like it, normally in 6 months, another steed catches my eye and I’m off on the hunt, buying and selling.

Am I alone?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You’re alone in thinking ‘steed’ is an acceptable term for your bike.

cupra
    Free Member

No, your not. I’m trying to spend more time riding these days though rather than stripping down, building up and fettling bikes, it’s been a bit silly recently.

kolorworx
    Free Member

my name is mike and i’m also addicted to buying mountain bikes 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

Think I’ve kicked it – only bought 5 in the last 5 years. Prob 40 odd in total?

scruff
    Free Member

Im more into buying Rigs. Or Trail Taming Beasts.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my name is Bean, and i am addicted to buying bikes.

if you’ve only bought mountain bikes before i can thoroughly recommend branching out…

you’ve got a whole world of bmx’s and road bikes to look at!

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Several more dandy horses than actually required here, but heh why not.

khani
    Free Member

Well done, the first step is admitting you have a problem
    The second step is finding a way to fund your habit
    Crime is a good one, or selling your body to finance a paypal slush fund the o/h isn’t aware of 😆

dazzlingboy

another sad lonely addict here 🙁

seem to be permanently stripping bikes, building new ones from the pile of bits. 4 new bikes (well, 2nd hand) in last 2 months.

jedi

i’m addicted to riding bikes 🙂 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

I thought someone was taking the pi$$ out of me as my name is Rich and I am also adickheadted to buying bikes 🙂 However I have moved onto the cheaper option of FRAMESWAPPING 🙂

avdave2

24 years 3 bikes and 1 frame, some of us have a modicum of self control.

Haze

It’s that time of year when I start to think a CX would be a worthy addition…

finbar
    Free Member

Ironically, whenever i get injured and not riding i buy more bikes. When i’m fit and riding a lot i ‘m not bothered in the slightest.

RobHilton
    Free Member

3 new ones this year – additional expendiure required for 2nd shed to house them all.
    If only I had the time to ride them all 🙂

dazzlingboy

2nd shed

There’s an idea. I’m actually heading the same way sadly.

pixelmix
    Free Member

We need to set up some sort of self help group here. I really like the look of an On-One Whippet frame to replace my Inbred, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Inbred (except arguably the size and the weight).

I am also currently hankering after a CX bike, which is actually a lot more justifiable (although perhaps not in my wife’s mind).

The problem with too many bikes is that you just spend more time cleaning and fettling. I am riding both of my bikes this week (rigid SS Saturday for CX, and full sus Sunday), so both need some fettling and cleaning before they are ready to go.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I feel I can justify bike stuff, as I don’t buy complete bikes, just constantly circulate componentry… Plus, you can tell your SO, nah, those forks broke, so I got these new ones as a warranty replacement 😉

richmtb

My mane is also Rich, and I used to be addicted to buying bikes.

I got over the buying addiction by developing a riding one instead now I’m quite happy to only replace parts I break or wear out, although with three bikes being ridden regularly that still a pretty big spending habit

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not an addict.

I just need to change my bike every so often as my requirements evolve.

That’s what I tell myself anyway.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I only have 7 bikes at the moment, so fairly restrained.
    I’m sure more will come soon though. Don’t restrict yourself just to mountain bikes as above though, cx, road-it’s all good!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Seven years, four bikes for me and four for other people as gifts…

That’s an average of one bike every ten and a half months.

Only six months to go until purchase number nine then.

epicsteve
    Free Member

As soon as I got the steed just how I like it, normally in 6 months, another steed catches my eye and I’m off on the hunt, buying and selling.

Buying and selling marks you out as an amateur addictee. The professional buys stuff, hoards it and rarely sells anything!

andrewh
    Free Member

Have:
    XC race full suss
    XC race HT
    DH bike
    SS HT/Commuter
    Road bike
    TT bike
    Retro HT
    Spare HT frame
    Spare road frame
    Unicycle

Need:
    CX bike
    Little jumpy bike
    SS road bike
    Bigger DH bike
    BMX may be fun

And in the last few years have also had but no longer have:
    XC race full suss (x2)
    Road bike
    CX bike

Might need help! Only bought one this year though, and only two last year. There’s worse things to be addicted to.

juiced
    Free Member

lol @ epicsteve

sutty
    Free Member

me too, i’m addicted to building my own custom builds ! spent thousands upon thousands on my seven high end full sussers, all kept under the watchful eye of my two american akitas LOL ! Really sad, i know but it’s better than smoking & drinking in excess but i could have been addicted to sex ? nah sod that, i’d rather be out riding with my buddies, having a crack & a few beers afterwards ! ROLL ON !

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m addicted to buying new bits and tinkering, but I hate buying whole new bikes. It feels like a waste – need one that will do everything otherwise it feels pointless having it sat in the shed and being used once a month if that. 1 road bike and 1 mountain bike is all I can justify – possibly a bmx/26″ street bike in the future as well 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

My name is Rich and I’m addicted to second hand bike parts.

nonk
    Free Member

has the op met ton yet?

coatesy
    Free Member

Unfortunately there’s no permanent cure for this addiction, however, if you call our shop then we may be able to sort you a clean supply.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m addicted to buying new bits and tinkering, but I hate buying whole new bikes. It feels like a waste

Same here. I think the last complete mountain bike I bought was probably my Epic way back in 2003.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Whats going on here!! My name is Rich and I am addicted to buying mountain bikes!! Well would be but tougher times means its mostly bits and pieces at the moment, only two frames this year (and lots of bits) No one will ever see my CRC account 😕

With Epic, much easier to buy than sell and you never know when you might need that bit, frame or whole bike!?!

dickie
    Free Member

My name is Rich & I’m addicted too.

I built a cheap bike to try rigid singlespeed a month ago, & as a result today I bought a 29er to try rigid singlespeed.

Coming to a classified site near you shortly will be a Voodoo Wanga Singlespeed with Mavic UST wheels & Rigid Carbon Fork. (£400ish).

I blame the internet, this website & no self control, in that order.

binners

All men are functionally autistic. FACT

The road to hell is also paved with good intentions. My latest ‘project’ started as the idea than rather than ride my full-suss through the winter I would simply buy a hardtail frame and transfer all the parts over to the new frame.

A simple process whereby I wouldn’t NEED to buy any new parts

I’m sure all my fellow addicts will recognise exactly what has subsequently happened. I don’t even have to say it, do I? It was oh so painfully predictable

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m sure all my fellow addicts will recognise exactly what has subsequently happened

Probably the same thing that happens whenever I decide to build a hack/pub bike from spare parts but eventually ends up with a bike that I don’t want to leave locked up outside because of all the XTR, Hope and Thomson bits on it.

glynP
    Free Member

My new SC carbon hasn’t even arrived yet and I,m already planning the next one! HELP

jack_noy
    Free Member

calling all (taller) bike addicts- buy my bike!!!!!!!!
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-2009-lapierre-x-control-510-xtr-lots-new-1100-ono-3

I hate to take advantage of your habit guys- but desperate times…..

trailertrash

Any that you wish you had not sold?

andrewh
    Free Member

Probably the same thing that happens whenever I decide to build a hack/pub bike from spare parts but eventually ends up with a bike that I don’t want to leave locked up outside because of all the XTR

, Tick

Hope

Magura

and Thomson

RaceFace

bits on it.

Carbon risers really are essential for a commuter, aren’t they?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘My name is Rich. I am addicted to buying mountain bikes.’ is closed to new replies.