• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • My mum wants a camper van
  • DickBarton

Sitting at dinner to night whilst visiting her and she tells me she wants a camper van for a project. Needs to be lower than 1.9m high so it can fit in her standard car garage but she wants a poptop roof so she sleeps ‘upstairs’.

I know you can get Berlingo/Partner cars converted but is there anything already available that small instead of usual transit/t5/6 conversion?

Apparently I’d get use of it as well so obviously I’m a bit keener to help find something.

She looked at Bongos but they are too tall and all the ones she looked at had a faint smell of smoke (jap vehicles like the bongo are notorious for that)…so she doesn’t fancy that now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Toyota hiace?

matt_outandabout

My father has one of these. He is 6′. He does fit in. He has a small boot mounted canopy for longer camps, allowing him to cook indoors, stood up.

(no you don’t sleep in the roof)

https://wildaboutscotland.com/2015/02/11/happy-camper-brenda-and-suzie/

twang
    Free Member

no you don’t sleep in the roof

Where then?

sc-xc
    matt_outandabout

Where then?

Head end of bed is on dashboard, feet by boot. Flat, 6’3″ long and just over half width of car, flat with a foam mattress. Comfy, if snug. 8)

spooky_b329

Biggest to smallest (prettty sure I’ve seen conversions/pop tops on all)

Vauxhall Vivaro/Trafic
    Mercedes Vito
    Hyundai i800/iLoad
    Peugeot Partner/Citroen Despatch
    Transit Connect
    Fiat Doblo

geoffj

I pass a Citroen Romahome R10 micorcamper parked on St Colme Street in Edinburgh most mornings. I’ve always been intrigued as to how it works.

http://www.romahome.com/model-range/romahome-r10/

ElShalimo

Caddy Maxi conversion will fit in a garage

DickBarton

She has just told me.she doesn’t want to sleep in the roof, so the poptop must just be for extra headroom…
    She wants seating, sleeping and cooking inside and is quite happy with a toilet cassette!
    Height is the decider and then probably length to get what she is after.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Vivaldi plus pop top is surely over 2m tho if anyone knows of a pop top that adds zero height I’m all ears cos I’ve got no clearance in my garage (door).

scotroutes

Vivaro/Trafic with a pop-top roof is 2070mm.

You’ll struggle to fit everything else into a shorter van – though a single bed will help.

woodster

T5 on air suspension?

The extra scene points will simply be a bonus.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To get all the stuff she wants, bed, seating, cooking and a cludgie, it’s gonna have to be a vivaro size van. I’d imagine 1.9m in a van that size, with a pop top is unacheivable.

Does really need To go in the garage?….

Gary_C

T5 on air suspension?

The extra scene points tax will simply be a bonus crippling.

FTFY.

alpin
    Free Member

T5 on air suspension?

Or a Hilo roof… Adds 12mm to the original van.

Or air ride plus Hilo and you’ll be way under 1.9m….

Have a look on their website.

alpin
    Free Member

Friend of mine converted a LWB Caddy. Enough room for him at 6ft, his missus and a baby.

Needed to jiggle the interior around to set up a bed.

That is the problem with smaller vans…. you are a bit buggered if it’s winter or raining outside.

DickBarton

That R10 is almost ideal, the R20 Lo appears to be spot on…so thanks for that link.

Yes, it has to go in the garage, she doesn’t want it on the street as it could be a target for attention as it is unlikely to move daily.

rickmeister

VW make a Caddy Maxi Camper, would that work?

NZCol

T5 California with the -35mm factory springs is 1.95m – mine fitted in a std garage

towzer
    codybrennan
    Free Member

My Trafic with pop-top roof is about 2030mm, which is a shame as its brilliant.

wwaswas

I was going to suggest Romahome too.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

T5 on air suspension?

You called?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Vnzhx6]19989384_10154460006582100_1157302749048342160_n[/url] by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

I may be biased but I’d look at a Caddy conversion. AJC near Stockport do Caddy conversions and you can get pop tops for them (no idea if they’re big enough to sleep in should the need arise): http://ajcconversions.co.uk/portfolio/vw-caddy-maxi-conversions-with-storage/

Also one of my favourite threads on the T5 forum is this self build Caddy: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=417136

DickBarton

All great stuff, thanks.

Vans are a no-go…so as mentioned in the first post not transit/t5 type stuff.

More links to pass on to her to view though so thanks for these.

kayla1
    Free Member

We use our roughly converted (ie back seats out and a fold out mattress) Doblo for nights away. It’s either cosy and bijou for a couple of nights or a massive PITA to move stuff about (although we do usually have a couple of MTBs as well) and two nights is all you can stomach without wanting to sack the whole lot off and drive home there and then, depending on your point of view.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nissan NV200 from Sussex campers?

Nico
    Free Member

Nissan NV200 from Sussex campers?

I saw one of those today. It looks very neat.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘My mum wants a camper van’ is closed to new replies.