• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My milk goes lumpy – Cravendale content
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Does anyone else get this? Cravendale milk which suddenly and randomly goes lumpy – sometimes in an unopened bottle, sometimes the instant it hits the coffee. Well within the Best Before, and it doesn’t seem to have gone off, just solidified.

I’m guessing something odd to do with their filtering process…

allthegear
    Free Member

Never noticed it – is the fridge too cold??

woody2000

I reckon your fridge is too chilly. Or they’ve been milking the wrong sex? 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

If anything, a bit warm I think – it’s kept in the door and it doesn’t seem to be ice crystals.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well I’m not coming round your yard.

brakes
    Free Member

we get Cravendale half the time and have never had this problem.
    Cravendale used to be better I’m sure, it used to taste of milk, now it tastes of nothing like all other supermarket milk.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bonally Dairies stuff does this on the East Coast, and doesn’t smell as fresh as fresh’n’lo, I ave up buying it for the shop when the seller told me they’s had a few complaints.

bentudder

Is this a metaphorical discussion?
    Have you had the snip? That would affect consistency.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Never unless they are adding the wrong sort of mayonnaise to it round your way.

On topic still, did anyone save up coupons to get their branded items?
    Got a lovely blue/white striped bowl here.
    Worth the £15 I had to spend on milk I reckon. ;d

spooky_b329

A lot of milk, particularly the extra filtered stuff, doesn’t seem to smell when it goes off anymore…the first you know is the taste or when it curdles when added to a cuppa.

I realised this a while a go, as I work out of a van all day I keep my milk in a coolbag now and take it home to put in the fridge at night. A colleague has just started following my approach, he used to just keep in in the van overnight and use the sniff test each morning…thats until he swigged a mouthful of sour milk recently and sprayed it back out all over the inside of the van 😆

I bought a pint of gold top as it had been reduced to 20p with a day left, luckily I took a swig before ruining my coffee…even though its not filtered it tasted sour but had no bad smell.

Get a temperature gauge for your fridge, the thermostat could be dodgy.

mrmo
    Free Member

you do realise that milk is actually water with cream added these days?

The main daries take the milk remove the cream, then add a small amount to ensure that the cream content is correct. Can you remember how you used to get cream on the top of milk, ever wondered why you don’t now.

Cravendale and the like are even more processed.

Lifer
    Free Member

Unhomogenised ftw, it actually tastes of milk! You can get it in waitrose.

jon1973
    Free Member

Or they’ve been milking the wrong sex?

All of a sudden this cup of tea I was enjoying tastes a bit funny.

Cougar

you do realise that milk is actually water with cream added these days?

The main daries take the milk remove the cream, then add a small amount to ensure that the cream content is correct

Wut? How exactly does removing cream from milk and then adding it back again convert the milk into water?

Can you remember how you used to get cream on the top of milk, ever wondered why you don’t now.

Because it’s homogenised so that it mixes rather than separates.

(That and, I buy skimmed milk anyway)

mrmo
    Free Member

Wut? How exactly does removing cream from milk and then adding it back again convert the milk into water?

By the time it has been pasturised, and separated what you are left with is basically white water, to which they add a little of the cream.

Had a wander round Wiseman’s and it is actually an eye opener to realise how far removed “milk” is from cows.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My milk goes lumpy – Cravendale content’ is closed to new replies.