Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My knees really ache, why?
  • Oxboy
    Free Member

I’ve been riding to work and back a lot as the weathers so good, also still putting in the offroad adventures every other weekend. Going great guns with my fitness but my knees really hurt of an evening, I mean they burn!
    Whats going on? They cant be shot it can they? I’m ‘only’ 40!
    I dont want to stop the commuting, is there anything I can do to help?

thanks guys

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Possibly diet related.

Take plenty of glucosamine and cod liver oil.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I take cod liver oil and going to buy some glucosamine.

You say it might be diet related, please go on . . .

ta

superfli
    Free Member

Could be your crank arm length? My knees suffered after 20 odd miles on the bike, needed a new chainset anyway, so got 170 mm arms instead. All sorted now. What length cranks are they and whats you leg measurement? I’m 29-30″ inside leg.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Give knee strength. What did you expect to happen when you went from not riding much at all to riding every day in a step change? Weak VMO muscle and poor patellar tracking is a probable cause. Do something that will strengthen VMO and it’ll go away. Look it up and you’ll find hunners to fix it

fadda

Check your cleat alignment, too…

Oxboy
    Free Member

Just as long as its muscles thats fine, didnt think my legs were that weak though, been active all my life. Must be just the step up I hope.

Superfli I think 175 crank arms, 33/34 inside leg, I did a 40 miler on the mountain bike in Feb with no probs . . . . ?

redthunder
    Free Member

as Surrounded By Zulus say…. they’ll build up over time.

Mine dont ache no more.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I use flat pedals, wondered if clipping in may help?

p7rich
    Free Member

Try experimenting with saddle height. I did 35 miles at the weekend with my saddle an inch higher than normal and my knee hurt for a couple of days after.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ve got a few things to try now.

Cheers

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Not something I’ve had a problem with, but a friend was having similar issues on his road bike. Having lots of money, he paid to have his bike set up professionally for him and it sorted out all his issues. So, I guess it’s worth experimenting with your position, saddle height, pitch and moving it backwards/forwards.
    I would stick with flat pedals for now and try playing with adjusting your position over the pedals.

Trekster

similar problem last week excerbated by trying to play squash again 🙄 Doc confirmed I am too old to start that again after a 4yr lay-off and 25yrs playing taking it`s toll 😯
    He prescribed squats to strengthen quads, being local football teams doc I shall heed his advice 💡

scu98rkr
    Free Member

poor patellar tracking

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Like trekster says, I guess it also might depend on how much hammer your knee joints have taken over the last 20 years. Thankfully, I never played football, rugby, squash etc, so my knees are still sweet at 44.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My knees really ache, why?’ is closed to new replies.