Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • My Human Rights as an EU Citizen
  • cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been covered in one of the other EU threads, but I was pondering this morning whilst sitting on the throne…

I am, by birthright, an EU citizen. It says quite clearly on my passport that I’m an EU citizen. I’m very proud to be an EU citizen and I feel it’s an integral part of my identity.

If the government try to remove us from the EU, I will have a different national identity forced upon me.

I seem to vaguely remember several cases where the European Human Rights Act has been used to successfully protect people’s rights to their own national identity, so will the EU protect me in this instance?

I reckon I’ve only got a couple of years to get this sorted at the most, so any help would be greatly appreciated… 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

How bent is your banana?

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

It leans slightly to the right if anything…

perchypanther
    Free Member

and your Brussels?

RustySpanner

We’re all moving in with Scotroutes, haven’t you heard?

A vast, woodburning, caffeine charged convoy of Audis, Berlingos and Skodas, desperate to reach the promised land.
    🙂

We’ll regroup, then launch an organised JOGLE, changing hearts, minds and wheelsize along the way.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It leans slightly to the right if anything…

You could seek political asylum in Austria.

spekkie
    Free Member

Is the EU a national identity or an international identity?

I assume I’m British and European, and if we leave the EU I’ll still be British – that is my National Identity. I don’t think you can be European instead of British can you?

jambalaya
    Free Member

The EU is not a country, you cannot be a citizen of it in any way we would understand it. Not yet anyway as its clearly the intention to turn the EU into a country as part of the political union project.

We are perfectly entitied to withdraw from the EU.

As an aside putting EU citizen on the passports was hugely controversial and I personally disagreed with it very strongly. I would have retained an original passport saying citizen of the UK had that been an option.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I don’t think you can be European instead of British can you?

That’s not what it says on my passport… Anyway, semantics dear man, it matters not… It’s my identity and I want to keep it!

For the record, my Brussels swing whichever way the political winds blow…

jimdubleyou

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/pdf/text_en.pdf

It’s all in there. Your article 39 & 45 rights are at risk. Maybe some others.

This is distinct from the ECHR, so I’m not sure how the two will fit together.

footflaps

This is distinct from the ECHR, so I’m not sure how the two will fit together.

Neither has anyone else…

spekkie
    Free Member

What does your passport say under Nationality? (next to the photo)

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I’m only on page 1 Spekkie, don’t over complicate matters… 😉

Thanks Jimdubleyou, I’m more interesting in this sort of guff…

Conscious of its spiritual and moral heritage, the Union is founded on the indivisible, universal values of
    human dignity, freedom, equality and solidarity; it is based on the principles of democracy and the rule
    of law. It places the individual at the heart of its activities, by establishing the citizenship of the Union
    and by creating an area of freedom, security and justice.
    The Union contributes to the preservation and to the development of these common values while
    respecting the diversity of the cultures and traditions of the peoples of Europe as well as the
    national identities of the Member States and the organisation of their public authorities at national,
    regional and local levels; it seeks to promote balanced and sustainable development and ensures free
    movement of persons, goods, services and capital, and the freedom of establishment.

If the government takes away my EU citizenship, they take away the rights I have enjoyed and expected since birth… Does the EU not protect me – as a citizen – from these kind of shenanigans?

spekkie
    Free Member

Sorry dude! Almost torpedoed your thread there. I’ll come back later.

🙂

hels
    Free Member

OMG.

Serious question, why do British schools not teach Civics ? Might have kept you out of this mess.

Also, the Human Rights Act 1998 is UK legislation.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Also, the Human Rights Act 1998 is UK legislation.

I might be younger than I look… 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

The British Citizenship trumps the EU Citizenship.

If you want to continue EU citizenship, start looking at grandparents and passport applications for other states.

That’s if all this goes ahead, my betting is the utter stagnation of the economy that’s just around the corner will have us at the polls again before this actually happens.

Northwind

Don’t worry, the first thing Theresa May will do is abolish all human rights, not just this one. Because in the words of David Cameron, that’s Fair.

bigrich

the utter stagnation of the economy

yeah, once it goes beyond ‘pip pip for merry old england/dey took err jerbs’ and starts hitting peoples hip pocket and pensions, then there will be a quick about face

woody74

You make good point that there are very many legal technicalities that need to be thought about and worked through. As we know there are many criminals that have claimed it would be against their human rights to be deported as they have built a family life in the UK. Can not every EU citizen currently here in the UK use the same argument if they are not given a right to stay after we leave? I assume all the expats in Spain could use the same argument in the Spanish courts. Love to see how the home office would round up and deport all the EU citizens if they just refused to leave, it s not like they wouldn’t have 50% of the population supplying them.

I bet there are many solicitors that deal with these types of issues, rubbing their hands with glee.

chris85
    Free Member

woody74 – Member
    You make good point that there are very many legal technicalities that need to be thought about and worked through. As we know there are many criminals that have claimed it would be against their human rights to be deported as they have built a family life in the UK. Can not every EU citizen currently here in the UK use the same argument if they are not given a right to stay after we leave? I assume all the expats in Spain could use the same argument in the Spanish courts. Love to see how the home office would round up and deport all the EU citizens if they just refused to leave, it s not like they wouldn’t have 50% of the population supplying them.
    I bet there are many solicitors that deal with these types of issues, rubbing their hands with glee.
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Not really, we never voted into this European union in the first place…they are the criminals. It will now take time to get back to a solid self sufficient grounded nation after they have been screwing us for years.

bigrich

after they have been screwing us for years.

yeah, all that money and trade and culture and food and safety.

sigh.

MSP

Not really, we never voted into this European union in the first place…they are the criminals. It will now take time to get back to a solid self sufficient grounded nation after they have been screwing us for years.

Apparently brexiters don’t like to be called thick or stupid or racist….

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Here you go. Someone is pursuing this line of thought already:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/30/politics-brexit-unlawful-eu-uk

bigrich

Apparently brexiters don’t like to be called thick or stupid or racist

because there’s a queue of people to do it for them?

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Here you go. Someone is pursuing this line of thought already:

Sort of, but I was thinking more along the lines of whether the EU had an obligation to protect me from a government that wanted to remove an integral part of my own identity against my wishes.

irc

It’s likely that existing residents will be granted rights to remain in the EU and the UK. As the EU is so brilliant is there not 27 countries remainers can move to before the UK leaves? So no need to worry about their EU identity being stripped from them.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Sort of, but I was thinking more along the lines of whether the EU had an obligation to protect me from a government that wanted to remove an integral part of my own identity against my wishes.

the obligation would be implemented by the member states, though

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

for merry old england/dey took err jerbs’ and starts hitting peoples hip pocket and pensions, then there will be a quick about face

‘About face’? Surely much simpler to continue blaming ‘foreigners’*? More. And louder.

*And the EU. Bloody foreigners! And them whatchamacallems?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It’s likely that existing residents will be granted rights to remain in the EU and the UK.

Source? Thnks.

As the EU is so brilliant is there not 27 countries remainers can move to before the UK leaves? So no need to worry about their EU identity being stripped from them.

🙄

zippykona

I guess we will stop being citizens and revert back to subjects.
    One sounds a lot freer than the other but hey ho it will be Great.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My Human Rights as an EU Citizen’ is closed to new replies.