Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • My HTC Desire is dieing, Nexus 4/Sim only content.
  • spooky_b329

My finger is hovering, hesitating, over the ‘buy’ button for the Nexus 4 at £279. I resisted the impulse buy when everyone on here was buying them like hot cakes! I can’t see any similar phones in the same price, I’ve not missed any other deals have I?

I’m out of contract, paying £15 for a few hundred minutes/texts, and 3Gb of data. Data is the important one for me, and being able to tether a laptop.

Are there any sim only deals that can match the data and tethering? Alternatively I can tie myself into EE for 24 months sim only and reduce my tariff to £13.

Thanks.

sadexpunk

i use giffgaffs £10 goodybag, with unlimited texts, 250(?) mins and 1Gb data which also allows tethering.

1Gb enough for you?

spooky_b329

1gb is cutting it a bit tight, my work laptop is very temperamental on 3g so I often resort to tethering rather than rebooting it when out and about.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yetiman
    Free Member

£12 & £15 goodybags are unlimited I think. My wife is out of contract with O2 and is considering Giff Gaff for her unlocked HTC.

nickjb
    Free Member

I believe the unlimited tariffs don’t allow tethering. They might have some other options as they’ve just bought out some new tariffs.

Nexus 4 is great, though

neilnevill
    Free Member

I went from a rooted desire to an N4 in December. I was lucky with the shipments and got it quick. Best phone at the price. Although I’d have an S4 or an S3…. only because the memory is limiting and cloud storage, even Google play music, isn’t always available…..London bus commute and 3g drops in a busy bit of brixton for example.
    However, get the N4 and go cloud, and then don’t like yourself to 1G…. it isn’t enough if you are using play music. Virgin VIP, 15 quid totally UN limited and tethering is fine.
    Or look for a deal on an S3

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and how is the HTC sick? Many apparent h/w faults can be overcome / worked around by rooting (dieing power button as mine had for example). In fact, many apparent h/w faults are not h/w, flashing the is could cure some woes.

sadexpunk

£12 & £15 goodybags are unlimited I think.

the £10 goodybag is the only one allowing tethering and is limited to 1Gb.

slackman99
    Free Member

Just got a Virgin VIP sum for £15 a month. Unlimited everything although in difference to what’s been said above, it does not allow tethering and the speed is throttled after you hit 3.5gb usage

spooky_b329

Its already rooted and running DGB. It runs very hot if using GPS or a video recording app (always has), which means it stops charging. It randomly turns off when inserting/removing the headphone jack and often needs cleaning to recognise the jack.

Even though it got much better after rooting, it is laggy, I think it just struggles to keep up with the newer apps. Its also on its second genuine battery but still seems to drain very quickly once it drops below 70%.

user-removed
    Free Member

I have a Desire S with three batteries (two are eBay specials which are better than the originals) and a genuine HTC leather case for 50 spondoolicks – been meaning to stick it on classifieds for ages… Few small scratches on the screen but nothing serious.
    Sorry for hijack, as you were.

spooky_b329

Well, I would have bought it by now but after four attempts, I’ve still not managed to add a different payment card to my account.

spooky_b329

Thanks guys, the deed is done. Roll on Friday 🙂

Probably stick with my T mobile sim, doesn’t seem to be much in the way of savings by switching.

Now, to cut down my sim card or try and blag a free repacement?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I phoned Virgin and asked about tethering as I couldn’t find any info on their site. I was told tethering is fine.tbh though I’ve not tried it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Cutting is easy, but anywhere should do a free replacement. I cut mine as Virgin didn’t do micro sims back in December. Google and print a template, then use sharp scissors or a Stanley knife.

petefromearth

I’m a bit late to pipe up but I got my nexus 4 on a 3 contract. Free phone, £28/month, unlimited data with tethering, plenty of texts/minutes

That was way cheaper than their advertised tariff but they were quite open to price matching another deal I’d seen. At the time it compared pretty well with the sim only deals over 24 months

Think it was here I found the best deals…
    http://www.buymobilephones.net
    Didn’t use them as three price matched!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Virgin media VIP £15 per month on a 30 day rolling contract. Unlimited mins, texts and data. Tether away to your hearts content.

sniff
    Free Member

£12 virgin deals gets you unlimited data and tethering allowed (and tried and tested here). The sales site says its limited but once you sign in its unlimited. Plus it’s a one month rolling so whats not to like.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘My HTC Desire is dieing, Nexus 4/Sim only content.’ is closed to new replies.