Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My hole is distorted (tubeless valve content)
  • garage-dweller

Air has been exiting my tubeless setup via the valve. I thought it was the tape, it wasn’t.

It was damage to the hole in the rim. It’s slightly square/misshapen on one side and my Profile/Stans valves with the round base won’t distort into it. I have no idea when or how it happened. It’s been fine since I bought the bike 5 years ago and this is the first time I’ve had to retape a rim.

I think the damage is newer than that but not sure when.

Enlarged hole!

Tape alone is not enough as the air pressure is flexing the tape.

The rim is a 29mm ID Roval fwiw.

garage-dweller

2nd post so it shows up (we still have that issue right?).

singletrackmind

Mine did the same, with 7mm long cracks along the spoke bed.
    Chemical metal smoothed over the area, allowed to go off fully then re drilled sorted it. Been fine for years.

mick_r

Tidy up as above. Then maybe also use a DT Swiss or similar valve that has a bigger rectangular rubber block rather than the circular stans valve.

donslow
    Free Member

Never used them myself but I’m led to believe that muc off tubeless valves come with two or three different sized/shaped rubber blocks, might have one amongst them that would work

I’ll second (third?!) the chemical metal treatment first

garage-dweller

Thanks off to the motor factors or yachty shop at the weekend for me it seems.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Crocs!

garage-dweller

Crocs!

That should be the least of your worries you lot would have some kind of meltdown if you saw the state of the lawn. 🤣

The tyre logo / valve alignment is out by about 6 feet currently.

Oh and they’re not hebtroco jeans either and to make it worse they’ve been recently washed…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drill it out and use a tubeless Schraeder valve.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is the rim / bike in warranty, if so take it back before you try any of the hack/bodge solutions suggested above.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No way will a warranty cover that, and fitting a universally recognised valve standard isn’t really a bodge.

oreetmon
    Free Member

I’ve had similar problem, solved it by running a bead of bathroom sealant/silicone around the rubber bit on valve and tape contact area, let it go off over night.

garage-dweller

Cheers all. In the absence of finding any chemical metal I came up with the idea of reinforcing the hole under the tubeless tape with a stainless washer.

Luckily as one of those sailing types I have some duralac (aka Yak “poop”) to isolate the washer and it dries a bit sticky so should hold it in pace while I tape over tomorrow. The other option if it moves will be to stick the washer in with some double sided carpet tape but that’s a bit bulkier. Either way should allow the tape to seal over the top and not collapse into the hole and the valve to get a good connection with the washer under the tape.

Kahurangi

Just secure he valve in place as usual and seal the gap with some wattle & daub, or silicone seal if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My hole is distorted (tubeless valve content)’ is closed to new replies.