Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • My Hi-Fi is better than yours. FACT.
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

well over £100k here

The Speakers

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its not a hifi. and they aren’t speakers.

neilforrow

and look at the shit box tape deck with the phono leads coming out of it. Real quality set up.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Unless you’re talking about the ghetto blaster…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

My headphones are better than that.

RustySpanner

Can you do tape to tape on that Panasonic?
    Ace.
    🙂

I’d have to try the speakers the other way round too.

monksie
    Free Member

All that expensive equipment for David (I’ve been tango’ed cheap as chips) Dickinson and you….what a waste!
    I bet they let you play with the shit little double cassette player on the right, don’t they?
    Ps. Em says “Give us a job Fam!”

therealhoops
    Free Member

The crappy tape deck is so as we can hear what it’ll sound like on Arse FM.

therealhoops
    Free Member

We’ll have to let Em come in one day and have a nosey around 🙂

RustySpanner

You need to balance the sound out with a candle on the left too.

Amateurs.

therealhoops
    Free Member

lol, it’s the tire logos all over again!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What do you think “Hi-Fi” means, exactly?

monksie
    Free Member

Be careful what you agree to Hoopsie. She’s currently trying to find cheap studio time for Wheatus of Teenage Dirt Bag nearly fame

db

are you talking about the twin tape – awesome 😆

RustySpanner

Dunno, what do you think it means?
    🙂

Seriously, I’m just off to the local HiFi emporium.
    I’ve had a lamp rewired.

They’ve got a Nakamichi deck for sale.
    Fate, innit?

toppers3933
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

That’s a lovely hi-fi setup. As far as hi-fis go, quite expensive, I suspect. I agree it’s better than mine.
    (Is that Josh Homme?)

(Not ^^ that, the one on the screen)

scuttler

Can you do tape to tape on that Panasonic?

Hi-speed dubbing’s where it’s at grandad!

ads678

Yeah but does it have dynamic bass boost? I used to have a Walkman that had dynamic bass boost………and Dolby sumatorother!!

therealhoops
    Free Member

DezB – that is indeed JH 🙂

ads – yep, it’s got a .1 Genelec sub for a bass boost as part of our 5.1 surround setup.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Nice but ill keep my DM604 S3’s thanks 😉

My ears have taken to much abuse for me to realistically get to finicky about clarity. The weight, range and definition on them is just staggering and my amp really doesnt do them justice.

Ofc if money was no object… 😛

ads678

ads – yep, it’s got a .1 Genelec sub for a bass boost as part of our 5.1 surround setup.

Whoosh

My head

CountZero

I don’t care what it cost, I’d really hesitate to call a studio mixing desk set-up a ‘hifi’; that’s what you use to play the finished product from hours spent tweaking the channels on that desk.
    As for the tape deck, I can see the point of using it to see what it sounds like on FM, I believe Brian Eno used to do a similar thing, but isn’t that just going for the lowest common denominator? Isn’t that what the whole ‘Loudness Wars’ thing is about?
    Laying on loads of compression to make each track stand out on shitty little phone speakers so that da yoof can irritate the bejaysus out of everyone else by walking around holding the phone playing loud, highly-distorted rubbish?
    I want the greatest dynamic range from the music I buy, not the smallest.

slowoldman

I want the greatest dynamic range from the music I buy, not the smallest.

Yes, I’ve always been of the opinion that music should be recorded with the largest dynamic range possible and supplied to the buyer with the largest dynamic range possible given the media used. It would then be trivial to include compression on the user’s system to make it sound as excellent or shitty as desired.

Anyway, no that’s not hifi and oh, these are speakers:

chiefgrooveguru

We were discussing this at work this week: The problem in the real world is that the dynamic range of most live music is HUGE. Very few home systems can manage that without the quiet parts being far too quiet to sound good (partly noise floor, partly background noise, partly Fletcher-Munson issues). And applying compression to a stereo mix (assuming no compression on the individual channels when recording or mixing) will not work well enough.

And even if we had systems with that kind of dynamic range I’m not sure how well people’s ears would cope in the long term.

Nice Barefoot speakers! I’d be interested to hear a pair vs the ATCs (whose factory I visited last year and found fascinating…)

slowoldman

Actually dynamic range is almost non-existent in pop and rock I suppose. But it makes all the difference in classical – especially and perhaps counter-intuitively in small scale choral work.

I visited ATC years ago. Are the home made coil winding machines still there?

Klunk
    Free Member

looks like 2 center speakers the wrong way round 😕

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Oh dear, I’m assuming someone will pipe up now saying how classical music has a massive dynamic range (which obviously it does) and sounds amazing on their £££££ turntable?

Re the cassette deck – if you question it you don’t understand how and to what end most music is mastered.

ninfan
    Free Member

So, will it make my Metallica album sound any better?

slowoldman

The Barefoots? That’s pretty traditional for a two woofer layout.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Is that Josh Homme?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is that Josh Homme?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

dre Beats Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooom just sayin 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve always been of the opinion that music should be recorded with the largest dynamic range possible and supplied to the buyer with the largest dynamic range possible given the media used. It would then be trivial to include compression on the user’s system to make it sound as excellent or shitty as desired.

DAB was supposed to work like that – no compression until the end units, but that didn’t happen.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Dunno, what do you think it means?

A HiFi system is built with the intention of delivering to your ears, a fully accurate as possible representation of the entirety of the source content (contained in/on CD/download file/vinyl disc) as possible, preferably in a musical way and with the added bonus of three-d presentation in the listening space.

In other words, with “high fidelity” to the source content.

therealhoops’s mixing desk and little speakers will not do that.

Simples.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I thought that was the whole point of monitor speakers, to produce the most accurate representation of the source signal.

Wheras HiFi aims to produce something along a spectrum between faithful and enjoyable, and may deviate in the name of enjoyment [ie valve amps].

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The idea that accuracy relies on the speakers is a very old fashioned 1970’s concept.

The most important piece of equipment is whatever translates the signal in the first place to pass it on down the chain – CD player, turntable cartridge/arm/turntable or DAC.

Once information is lost, it cannot be replaced no matter how many “graphic equalizers” or other such gizmos are included.

I auditioned three different makes of speakers when I built up my system. One was good at musicality but had no stereo presentation to speak of, another was clinically accurate with instrument placement but completely un-musical and the pair that I decided on could do both things beautifully…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The idea that accuracy relies on the speakers is a very old fashioned 1970’s concept.

I auditioned three different makes of speakers when I built up my system. One was good at musicality but had no stereo presentation to speak of, another was clinically accurate with instrument placement but completely un-musical and the pair that I decided on could do both things beautifully…

Okaaay.

The most important piece of equipment is whatever translates the signal in the first place to pass it on down the chain – CD player, turntable cartridge/arm/turntable or DAC.

Yeah, but we’re not living in the 1970’s so we’re about talking wide and fast data from that desk/source.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It is true that we are indeed, not living in the seventies, but the principle still applies.

Okaaay.

Que?

EDIT: Oh I see, you think the two statements are in conflict? No – the amount of information delivered to the speakers for them to work with is still there. Don’t confuse presentation with content.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK. I’m not really confusing them. But yes, your points looked a little contradictory.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘My Hi-Fi is better than yours. FACT.’ is closed to new replies.