• This topic has 248 replies, 91 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • My helmet (probably) saved my life today
  • Edukator
    Free Member

As any use of statistics is considered suspect I'll just make an observation based on cycling through a number of lands:

The proportion of cyclists wearing a helmet is inversly proportional to bicycle use as a means of transport (rather than recreation).

Extreme exemples: In Amsterdam there are lots of people going places on bicycles but almost none wear a helmet. In Birminghmam there are very very few cyclists on the roads but almost all wear a helmet.

Edukator
    Free Member

Sorry, double post.

TinMan
    Free Member

The most interesting part of the debate for me is the BMJ Rapid responses. The diversity of opinions and the people who are quoting them makes interesting reading.

Practically I'm happy to accept we can't do a proper 'trial' of bicycle helmets effectiveness in reducing brain injury or death, but we should accept that it is a personal choice to use one or not.

For all the ridiculous reasons, I think it's important off road, where the likelihood of me having an off is all down to me, but the chance of an accident on the road will be far more related to motorists, the speeds involved and blunt solid objects they will hit me with. A bit of polystyrene won't help so much then.

If all with the strongest of opinions either way would sign up for this little experiment I've got planned maybe we could come up with some answers… 😮

sprootlet
    Free Member

This debate is not going to change people's practices, TJ's opinions/presentation of evidence is not going to change my mind about when and where I wer a helmet.
    Its fairly obvious that TJ is not going to change his mind either so let's agree to differ and let this thread go ..

Travis

Kit – Happy you are okay…

People do the lottery for the 1 in 14 million (or what ever) chance of winning the Jackpot

I wear my helmet all the time, for that 1 in 14 million chance (or what ever) that it might save or at least not leave a scar so much (even on easy canal paths, where that bloody dog runs out in front of you)

westkipper
    Free Member

I dont want to take your beloved helmets away from you, and I'm sure that crikey and TJ and others dont either.
    I just want people to think about it a bit more. A helmet may save you ( as an individual) from a minor injury in that million to one accident BUT the relentless foaming-at the mouth promotion of them makes cycling less desirable as an everyday activity and makes it( for various reasons-see thread) more dangerous for everyone, hatted or not.
    It would be interesting if helmet use were promoted the same way for car occupants- It would save many more lives.
    Do you ever see a racing driver getting into their car without one?

nonk
    Free Member

the relentless foaming-at the mouth promotion of them

proof of this please.

westkipper
    Free Member

Nonk-there's seven pages here!

nonk
    Free Member

no mate thats anecdote.

Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)

The topic ‘My helmet (probably) saved my life today’ is closed to new replies.