Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • My friend had a problem with his skewer
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

If you look at any of the Shimano technical documents for front disc hubs and wheelsets, the orientation of the QR lever is always on the non disc side of the hub. That’s how I’ve always done mine and always will.

However if you look at all the photos in the current parts manual all the hubs have the QR lever on the disc side.

DezB
    Free Member

If you look at any of the Shimano technical documents for front disc hubs and wheelsets, the orientation of the QR lever is always on the non disc side of the hub

Pretty sure I have seen a Shimano doc where they specifically state the QR lever should be on the opposite side to the disc. But then Hargroves should know that.
    For the record, I’ve used Hargroves loads (Fareham branch) and they have always been exemplorary exemplerary exem excellent..

Here’s a close up, full size.
    Looks like the skewer is “open”

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm yeah that’s pretty bad :p looks like when the open QR hit the fork it bent it inwards into the disc, probably wouldn’t have rotated that far back on it’s own. I see why you want a new fork now as well…

Obviously worth pursuing with them and considering legal action if it comes to it but this thread title is still a mistake

nealglover
    Free Member

..but this thread title is still a mistake…

And If I was the owner of the bike shop, and threatened with legal action over the bike.

I would certainly threaten legal action back at you for the thread title.

Regardless of fault. It’s a bloody stupid thing to do.

Just saying.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I woundn’t threatened with legal action, just speak to them and get i sorted!

DezB
    Free Member

Hang on – for that skewer to be where it is (guessing it is now open), wouldn’t it have to have been caught in the rotor and dragged round to there? ie. From the CLOSED position??
    There isn’t room for it to fit where it is without being dragged (maybe better: “ripped”) round.
    Unless the QR was inside the fork from the start…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

scottfitz – Member
    I woundn’t threatened with legal action, just speak to them and get i sorted!

No! Silly! Far better to post inflammatory and possibly slanderous nonsense on the interwebz!

scottfitz
    Free Member

No! Silly! Far better to post inflammatory and possibly slanderous nonsense on the interwebz!

I don’t agree with the title, i would change that if I was OP.
    Should of kemp the shop name out of it.

But if the OP wants some advice on how to handle the situation why not ask us?

Still the best think to do is to contact Hargrove’s and speak to them!

oldgit
    Free Member

Somethings wrong there in that pic.
    An opened QR lever doesn’t/can’t double back on itself. Even locked it can’t travel into the spokes. The amount the lever can travel is limited in both directions.

My best guess would be that the QR was loose and the wheel has dropped out and back in again trapping the QR lever there. That would explain why the axle hasn’t returned to where it should be. Of course I’m just speculating. Though I stand by the fact that with the wheel in place the QR just can’t foul the wheel.

timb34
    Free Member

Somethings wrong there in that pic.
    An opened QR lever doesn’t/can’t double back on itself. Even locked it can’t travel into the spokes. The amount the lever can travel is limited in both directions.

That’s not true with the kind of cheap QR pictured. The lever that sticks out of the side of the end cap HAS got enough movement to double back on itself (and stick in a disc and then finish under the fork as pictured). I’ve a bike with that kind of QR in the garage and I’ve just been in to open it. You can even see the curve of the lever in the picture above.

The QR has flopped fully open, stuck in the disc and jammed up under the fork, forcing the QR endcaps out of the dropouts, destroying the tabs.

This probably happened due to the QR not being done up tight enough. It may have happened due to a faulty OR that does not close properly, but if that is the case then the QR will still be faulty and impossible to close properly – this should be easy to test.

Of the bikes I’ve seen recently purchased, all but one have had the QR lever on the left next to the disc (the exception being a Trek hardtail).

But a quick whizz around the Trek, Specialized, Giant and Cube websites shows all the QR levers next to the discs. Every single one.

andyl
    Free Member

That is a really cheap and nasty QR so I can completely believe it has been caught in the brake disc if not done up right.

I have also met someone on a ride last year who had just completed a very rocky downhill section on the mendips and I rode over and closed the QR on her front wheel for her while we were chatting.

The ‘lawyer lips’ are there to stop a wheel coming out should the QR slip (due to braking forces or otherwise). They will hold a wheel in sufficiently for someone with no real bike experience to notice.

I bet if I went over a fair few bikes of people posting here with a fine toothed comb I could find potentially dangerous faults they hadn’t noticed. Horses for courses ‘n all that….

Sancho
    Free Member

I remember adjusting Kyle Straits back wheel that looked like that, it hadnt caused him to crash just the shifting was awful.

Mark

The thread title was really not a good idea. I’ve changed it.
    The discussion as to what happened is just that, discussion of an incident.

But really… Please think twice before you post thread titles like that. It cause you and us and the company you are talking about nothing but problems.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

But with no word of death or being killed this thread doesn’t seem as appealing 😀

vinnyeh

Agree. Or better still replace the shop name with the common placeholders ‘Evans’ or ‘Halfords’. Then folk would be more accepting and believing.

shotsaway
    Free Member

There is quite a bit of paint damage in the dropout. I suspect that the QR was in the open position and probably bounced in and out of the dropout a few times, damaging the paint as it did so. Eventually the QR/skewer bounced out of the dropout and at the same moment the skewer moved further into the hub. As the weight of the rider, bike, forks pushed down towards the skewer again, it caught the QR level, which was now closer to the hub and bent it back into the disc. At this point the disc got bent, the wheel jammed and the skewer couldn’t drop back into the dropout as the QR lever was now stopping any further movement.

I don’t believe that the lever has been pulled around by the disc. The weight of the bike on the lever has just bent the lever into the disc.

Well that’s what Miss Marple thinks!

Edited bit: Now I have seen Timb34’s post above, I also think that is totally plausible.

MarkN
    Free Member

Good to see that the title has been changed.

samwise
    Free Member

hey im sorry about the original title, it was a bit strong and i probably shouldnt have mentioned the shop just was a bit fired after hearing they were not going to fix it straight away. i didnt meant it so serious as it sounded though i just wanted to grab peoples attention and get some advice on how to handle it

Anyway Good news Hargroves are replacing the bicycle

happy after hearing they might not do anything about it on saturday for them to replace the bike today.

samwise
    Free Member

and never made or had any intention of legal action but would have been nice to know where he stood if they didnt sort it out

oldgit
    Free Member

That’s not true with the kind of cheap QR pictured. The lever that sticks out of the side of the end cap HAS got enough movement to double back on itself (and stick in a disc and then finish under the fork as pictured). I’ve a bike with that kind of QR in the garage and I’ve just been in to open it. You can even see the curve of the lever in the picture above.

That’s shocking then. I’ve got Mailard, Campagnolo, Shimano, Mavic, Alex, DT Swiss, Bontrager and even a Quando and none of them can open or close enough to get anywhere near the spokes or disc. Hard as you try they won’t get near.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Yep good news, well done hargroves

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ready to burn the lot of them yesterday and now they’re getting congratulated…

Madness. This thread should just be deleted.

franksinatra

This thread should just be deleted

Agreed

Guy has an accident, could be fault of shop, could be fault of rider.
    Complaint made to shop, 2 days later, they agree to replace bike, seems top notch service to me.

Where is the story?

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘My friend had a problem with his skewer’ is closed to new replies.