Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • My friend had a problem with his skewer
  • samwise
    Free Member

my friend brought a bike from hargroves yesturday and we went straight for a ride, when the front wheel locks up sending him over the bars.

turns out as he turned the corner the quick release skewer lever swang into the disc and snapped the dropout on the fork bent the disc and skewer. when i unjammed the skewer lever was on the open setting.

it clearly left the shop without being properley tightened but upon return they are trying to dispute it sayin that my friend must have loosened it.

he could have seriously injured himself and all he wanted was them to fix the bike hed been saving up for.

I ws shocked to hear that they disputing it, i would have thought they would have been extremely apoligetic and fixed the problem immedietly seeing as it left the shop in an unsafe state.

I was just wandering if anyone had any advice of the best way to approach them about this?

Thanks in advance

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It really is your mates word against theirs, can’t see how you could prove it either way.

Lesson: QR Levers on disc equipped bikes go on the right. If it’s not in ‘the rules’ it bloody should be.

GW
    Free Member

With a full bladder and straight to their shoe display 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

I normally check all me bits and pieces before I set off, doesn’t everyone else?

samwise
    Free Member

yeah i guess youd have thought they have just fixed it for him there only cheap suntour forks. just to keep customer happy and to avoid the negative publicity. there going to let him know tommorow forsure what there going to do guess they need to speak to head office or the shop manager or something i dont know hopefully they will sort it for him

samwise
    Free Member

lipseal i check my parts before heading out but he brought the bike yesturday morning came out the shop and went straight for a ride hes getting into biking or trying to so he wouldnt have known what to look for and youd expect it tooo come out the shop being all good to ride

cynic-al
    Free Member

Were you with him between collection of bike and ride?…and can say he didn’t tamper with the bike?

If so, he has a claim…presumably only to have the bike fixed tho.

Even if not, which is more likely, shop ****ing up, or him messing with it?

highclimber
    Free Member

Lesson: QR Levers on disc equipped bikes go on the right. If it’s not in ‘the rules’ it bloody should be.

Mine are on the left.

Sounds like a case for accident direct – they will love your mate

lipseal
    Free Member

Are you sure the QR never got knocked while riding? It can happen you know.

Can’t remember the name of the shop …. Oh yes it’s just come to me, surosa cycles in Stockport.
    Mate (I wasn’t with him and new to mtb) picked up his 1k Cube hard tail and everything was loose. Headset, wheels, seat on rails, handlebars. The guy even tried to say the seat was meant to move on the rails with the rider. Anyway he came off it so I had a look at it and found the above. Following day I called them and was furious, spoke to a female owner. I advised i’d sorted it all but thats not the point

To be fair she did advise to ask for her when it came in for it’s service. He didn’t and got nothing. Personally I would avoid anywhere they employ idiots who puts people’s lives at risk rather than tighten a bolt or two

samwise
    Free Member

all he wants is for forks and axle to be replaced and the disc can be bent back. i wasnt with him when he brought it he cam out the shop jumped onto the rtrain and i met him the other end. Hes not the type of guy to fiddle with things he has no experience with.

had it happened 2 – 3 weeks after buying the bike the shop might be able to say hang on a minute but buying a bike in the morning and going back with a broken bike in the afternoon youd think they would go out of there way to help.

I think perhaps they dont want to accept responsibility because it looks bad and may make them liable to further legal action or something i dont know hopefully they wil just do it in goodwill

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pursue it with help of CAB/TS if he CBA.

HTH 😉

gee
    Free Member

Had he removed the front wheel to put it in his car when he collected it?

GB

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite an inflammatory post title. You’d better be damned sure it was their fault, I’d say….

samwise
    Free Member

Lipseal i did consider that it may have been knocked when riding but it would have had to have been a big knock in an open space to knock the lever from closed to open and wedging in the disc.

it was infact my inital thought that a branch or somthing may have knocked the lever into the disc but there were no branches around and when i unjammed it the lever was on open and it happend on a corner

samwise
    Free Member

hey Gee no he got the train back with it.

And captain flash heart yeah i guess it was but had we been coming down a hill at high speed when this happened it could have been serious!

I know it was their fault and my friend sure does but as already mentioned it really is a case of our word against theirs and looks like its going to be upto their good will as to whether theyll fix it

Sancho
    Free Member

hopefully they will look after you
    But it is down to you as the owner to check your bike over before you ride.
    It could have been knocked undone when getting off the train etc etc.
    You dont know, but you should have checked it over and excuse me but its pretty obvious if the skewer is open the wheel will wobble and can fall out.
    But hey hopefully you can sue and make a load of money out of blaming someone else.

spooky_b329

But they are meant to go on the left. Shimano skewers (and other ‘internal cam’ types) are actually designed to go on the left, if you put them on the right you have to have them pointing backwards or down to miss the fork leg.

But hey hopefully you can sue and make a load of money out of blaming someone else

I didn’t see any mention of suing, I think they just want the bike fixed!

Tiger6791

That’s quite an epic acusation to make on a public forum. Just saying, I wouldn’t slander a business that strongly unless you’re 100% sure and can back it up.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Presumably he rode it from the shop to the station? How long did he then ride it for during your ride before it caused the crash?

I ask because I would imagine that a QR lever left open would make itself quite apparent within minutes of riding.

Also – and I’m just playing Devils Advocate here – are you CERTAIN your mate didn’t tweak around with it in his excitement at having a new bike? On the train perhaps? Maybe he did and doesn’t want to feel like a bit of a nob by admitting it.
    You have to admit that a store like Hargroves who sell and build thousands of bikes a year are not as likely to make a basic error such as this as your mate who, by your own admission, is a newbie to riding is likely too.

donsimon
    Free Member

I bet the logos and valves weren’t lined up either.
    Rider should have checked before riding, a little bit of common sense goes a long way.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I check my own bike period. If something isnt right. Its my fault. Your mate should have checked his own bike. Sounds tough but thats safer than relying on others.

kudos100
    Free Member

Not surprised they tried to get out of it, the owner is a total prick.

When you buy a new bike or have repairs done you shouldn’t have to check the bike over to see if it is roadworthy, that is the job of the shop.

If it was genuinely a shop mistake, good luck in getting them to fess up.

warton
    Free Member

[hijack] Spooky, whats that Spesh CX bike? me likey! [/hijack]

crazy-legs

How can the QR lever wedge into the disc?? Even if it’s fully open, it’s got a range of 180 degrees movement (which means it’s hanging vertically downwards) but it’d need to be bent way beyond that for it to catch in the disc – another 30-40 degrees in towards the wheel.

And if the QR is fully open, it’s immediately apparent cos the wheel wobbles around (although it won’t fall out cos of the tabs on the forks).

Sorry but the story doesn’t add up to me. Although your lack of spelling and grammar may be part of the reason for that… Whatever though – nothing has yet been resolved either way, you say above that the shop will get back to your mate tomorrow so posting this now, especially with the title you’ve used is really not going to do you any favours.

project
    Free Member

Whats this with slagging off shops before they have a chance to ake amends, and apologise, write to the head office and the manager telling them what happened, and quite posibly the lad who built the bike may be sacked or disciplined, if they believe your story.

But not to worry, youve just slagged off a major cycle retailer on a public forum, and your words may just make people think theyre dodgy, when probably theyre not at fault.Aloose skewer would have shown up a lot sooner i would have thought.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Not surprised they tried to get out of it, the owner is a total prick.

Why is it his fault, a bike shop should know how to put a bike together!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Warton,

It’s a Crux Comp Disc Apex (Catchy name!). Think it may be a US version, though, rather than one that’s coming in the UK.
    Oh, and CrazyLegs – Spot on. Doesn’t add up at all.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think you have the wrong end of the stick, flippinheckler.

AD

Genuine question – are you sure you’re not mixing up cause with effect?
    Like most people, I run my qr’s on the disc side so I’ve just gone and opened them to see if I could get the lever to open into the disc – they don’t.

Perhaps a particular make of q/r might though?

As I said this is a genuine question – it’ll also be easy to demonstrate in the shop.

kayak23

Whats this with slagging off shops before they have a chance to ake amends, and apologise

Its called Internet chat Forums. 😕

meehaja
    Free Member

This all feels very familiar, wasn’t there a very similar post a month or so back?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

CFH,warton. that is a US version and spesh. do not have any immediate plans on bringing it to the uk!

I know as i called head office asking if they could order me one (at a price) to which they declined. I will be buying a crux disc frameset when it becomes available in the UK

crazy-legs

I will be buying a crux disc frameset when it becomes available in the UK

Me too – Specialized are currently selling off this year’s Crux frame at about £600 and while I need a new CX, I want a disc braked one. Can’t wait for the new Crux. 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think you have the wrong end of the stick, flippinheckler

Must be the fathers day vino.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

How did anyone manage to wheel the bike about with a quick release so loose it swings?? let alone ride it.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Me too – Specialized are currently selling off this year’s Crux frame at about £600 and while I need a new CX, I want a disc braked one. Can’t wait for the new Crux.

try £350.. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/crux-2012-cyclo-cross-frameset-ec023880?query=crux

i do like the 2012 colours

bellys
    Free Member

surosa cycles in Stockport.

Surosa is in Oldham not Stockport.
    Never had a prob with them Nigel and mandy the owners alway been ok with me.

Hope your mate get some thing sorted with the bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How did anyone manage to wheel the bike about with a quick release so loose it swings?? let alone ride it.

Agreed.

oneoneoneone – I NEED that frame! (in a disc version, though! Love that paint!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘My friend had a problem with his skewer’ is closed to new replies.