Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • my first tyre thread… be gentle…
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening….

Currently my rear tyre (conti x king) on the stanton is being held together with half a scratch card after it met with some hampshire flint. So what 29er mud loving tyre that won’t cry at the first sign of flints?
    Cheers

Suggsey
    Free Member

Think the lack of replies is your answer…..I know someone else asked a couple of weeks ago regarding Flint resistant tyres……and I believe the only partial answer is Snakeskin or pro protection carcasses.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Dump the Contin pronto. Suggest purgatory or smorgasbord on the rear.

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers… Surprised by the lack of answers… Maybe my tyre needs aren’t niche enough! 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

😆 what I would say again from bitter experience is don’t buy Scwalbe, thwcflimsiest side walls I’ve ever experienced, sliced on first ride out brand new tubeless 2.4 nobby nic at Antur on the blue so not doing anything more than you would expect from that size of tyre.

scaredypants

My ss has a hans dampf and a bontrager FR3 on it – both lasted well last winter in the flinty forest of new. FR3 isn’t a mud tyre but was OK IME

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Stanton do a 29er?

66deg
    Free Member

Quite sure everyone will be gentle.

Just a quick question have you passed your driving test?

chiefgrooveguru

Purgatory Grid is a pretty good bet. I had an X-King Protection which suffered numerous flint cuts within its first few rides but (touch wood) my Rubber Queen UST / Trail King Protections have yet to have a problem despite doing far greater mileage on the same terrain. I like them in mud, some don’t. Purgatory is cheaper though!

Clobber
    Free Member

2.25 beaver EXO, thread closed…

timmys

Stanton do a 29er?

Yep, the Sherpa. Been available a while now.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

For some reason I thought the Sherpa was a 26 or 650B!

I’m not a decent enough rider to appreciate the difference between proper mud tyres and normal ones. However, a knackered bead on an Hans Dampf resulted in replacing it with a Spesh tyre. They have a 90 day warranty. Makes sense to look at their offering if you’re concerned about accidental damage I reckon.

noltae
    Free Member

Run tyres at full pressure is best line of defence – might not ride as sweet – but that’s going to be the most pragmatic solution…

daftvader
    Free Member

The sherpa is one of the best bikes I’ve ridden…. That’s not just because I have one 😆 And I want to give mud tyres a go this year as I am intending on riding throughout the winter (something I’ve not been able to do for a few years) and the best description of Hampshire mud is Teflon with knives stuck in!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘my first tyre thread… be gentle…’ is closed to new replies.