Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • My first trail centre ride
  • aleigh
    Free Member

at Cwmcarn was such an amazing experience!

Considering I’ve only been riding since June 08 (every other weekend as well) I handled it all really well AND I did practically all the climbing which for me is a real achievement.

Thanks Anna, Rich, Mark and Steve for making helping to make it a great experience 🙂

That is all 😀

MTT
    Free Member

we now get to observe how long it takes for you to decide that natural is the only way, or even better take to the road.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Well done! When were you there aleigh? I would have joined you. Hope to get up there a couple of times in the next week or two while I’m off work.

sharki
    Free Member

Trail centres ppft!

Natural is where it’s at, i’ve never had a bad off at a trail centre, too smooth….

Well done Aleigh, glad you enjoyed.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it Aleigh!

The best thing about my local trail centre (Grizedale) is it keeps everyone off the natural trails!! 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Hello 🙂

Nice, wasn’t it! The thing I like about trail centres is that they can be ridden with confidence that everything will be rollable. Granted, they might be a bit cheeseburger compared to a braised fillet steak natural ride, but I like to see them as the type of burger you’d get in a nice restaurant 😉

Is Grizedale rubbish then FoxyChick?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is Grizedale rubbish then FoxyChick?

The NFT is a bit pants, but Grizedale is stuffed with excellent trails, and I keep coming across new bits to add to the interest :o)

Glad you enjoyed your day aleigh🙂

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I didn’t mean Grizedale itself…more the NFT.

It seems to attract huge amounts of Mtbers which leaves the natural trails free!!
    Trail centres have their uses. We are riding them loads at the moment as the kids can ride them. BUT I much prefer natural stuff tbh.

sharki
    Free Member

Great places to develop skills without such a high risk.
    Same as BMX tracks.

I guess having natural on my doorstep compared to the 45/60min drive to a trail centre will bias my opinions.

RichPenny
    Free Member

True Sharki, although the Quantocks does feel like a trail centre to me to be honest, in that it has a huge amount of singletrack that can be easily linked. My local riding isn’t like that, so I enjoy it when I get to do it.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Well done Aleigh! Its great fun and so close to you. Most annoyed I couldnt make it. I will be going in May though 😀

aleigh
    Free Member

Thanks everyone! Shame you couldn’t make it Rich but I’m sure we’ll be going again soon. Mamadirt – I went today, it was a last minute thing. We’ll have to get a ride sorted for around there next I reckon 8)

Cwmcarn vs the Q’s, well there’s no comparison (imo of course). It’s nice to be able to have the variety and today has been a real eyeopener. Dare I say it, it was easier than I expected, only because I’d allowed myself to think the worst! Hard work all the same mind yet I was pleasantly surprised 😆

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Aleigh…you and c_g must get up to Kirroughtree and do the red!
    In fact I’ll join you!
    ‘Tis the best trail centre experience..in my very humble opinion of course!! 8)

aleigh
    Free Member

Sounds amazing! I’ll see what I can do 😀

FoxyChick
    Free Member

In fact aleigh…we can stay at a B&B I know in Dumfries, hit the town and then ride the next day! 8)

aleigh
    Free Member

Now that sounds like a plan! Can we factor in recovery time for the hangover? 😉 😆

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Yes, no probs..I reckon Dumfries is far enough from the nearest motorway service station! 😉

aleigh
    Free Member

😳

lol

FoxyChick
    Free Member

That was the best thread ever!! 8)

aleigh
    Free Member

Well there’s always one that ends up keeping people entertained by default I guess! 😆

cinnamon_girl

Well done Aleigh! Did they hear you shrieking across the Severn then 😆

Hey FoxyChick – one condition though, you gotta bring your IndyFab 8)
    Sounds as though it could be quite a weekend but please ignore rumours of my alcohol consumption 😉

RichPenny – still up for the Monday CG Adventurette? Don’t worry, I only normally trespass when riding solo! will be on my best behaviour … til we hit the pub!

aleigh
    Free Member

Well done Aleigh! Did they hear you shrieking across the Severn then

Well………….I did scream a lot on the final descent which I suddenly realised (whilst drinking my coffee after the ride) was right next to the car park! I dread to think what the blokes thought!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Hey FoxyChick – one condition though, you gotta bring your IndyFab

Not much choice c_g..’tis my only bike!! 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yes, will be there CG. Looking forward to dodging the shells! Might be on the SS, so hoping for no steep hills. Must have ridden too much this winter (or the rubbish summer is having an effect). Current fecked bearing total for the FS stands at 8! And that doesn’t include the swingarm bearings 🙁 Pistons seized on the back brake too…

cinnamon_girl

RP – great! Thought I’d bring gears as I would be spinning too much on the ss, my language gets a bit fruity too. Gravel tracks equal speed? Forget FS – hardtails rock 😀

Re: Trail Centres.

I’ve been riding bikes all my life and MTB’ing for about 15 years. The majority of my riding is in the Peaks (yes it is plural, as I ride the White Peak and Dark Peak). I don’t think many would disagre that this includes some of the best riding in the country.

However, over the last couple of years I’ve experienced my first trail centres in Coed Y Brenin and Llandegla – both different and both rocked. Persisting with the ‘only natural is good’ argument is a litle retarded imo. BTW – if I find a section of singletrack with a smooth chute, berms and doubles I’m over the moon. If someone’s going to make them for me – even better.

Road riding sucks baws btw

Andy

Hey Aliegh – glad you enjoyed CwmCarn! How many laps? Does that mean you will join us on the next Afan jaunt?

As for Trail centres vs natural IMHO they both have their place, its all bikes, its all good, but I would say anyone who just rides trail centres without getting a map out and going somewhere new to discover new rides for themselves is missing a great part of mountain biking.

Oh and dont mention Service stations 😳

aleigh
    Free Member

Yes, let’s forget about the service stations!

I am definitely going to Afan without a doubt! Just did one lap today, we spent a bit of time faffing at the top, it was great fun!

cinnamon_girl

What’s with service stations?

cinnamon_girl

😳

Andy

yeah right….

cinnamon_girl

Just got a wicked sense of humour sometimes!!

Andy

😆

cinnamon_girl

OK, I’ll admit it. That was my idea, probably been on the wine 8)

Trekster

B&B I know in Dumfries, hit the town and then ride the next day

If you are coming to play on my trails can I be your guide for the weekend? Pub crawls a speciality 😆

Last weekend outing with some of my Southern buddies;
    fanylion `09 Mabie report

FoxyChick
    Free Member

You’re on Trekster! 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve never had a bad off at a trail centre, too smooth

The rocky steps bit at the bottom of skyline had me – mistimed a jump and went over the front. Saved by kneepads. Wolloped a root at Penmachno1 while at big ring velocity – superman headfirst into a rock. Helmet saved me! 😆

I love natural, but the berms and tables are such fun and there’s no hoofprints!

aleigh
    Free Member

Sounds like a great idea!

aleigh
    Free Member

Trekster, can we exchange emails re dates for a weekend up there? I only have two weekends free a month and am thinking July at the mo………..my address is my profile 😀

FC, I’ll pm you 8)

Trekster

aleigh ygm

4/5th and 11/12th July ❓ 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘My first trail centre ride’ is closed to new replies.