Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • My first Road bike- Considering a Ribble Sportive – any others?
  • hora
    Free Member

So circa 1k. Any others I should consider? Basically looking for alot of bike for a lowly price.

I’d even consider steel or alu (if it was comfy enough).

huw
    Free Member

Very happy with my Ribble Sportive that I’ve had for a few months now. The stock wheels are absolute pants though. The rear got sent back within 2 weeks and got replaced FOC and I’ve just had to replace the front wheel with an old one I had. Both due to really poor cup n cone hubs. The frame itself is lovely though, very comfortable to ride. It’s also my first “proper” road bike though so I have nothing to compare it with really. Bought mine with the 105 kit.

Planet X was the close second choice.

hora
    Free Member

Fulcrum racing 5? (+£115) or Kysirum elites?

huw
    Free Member

No they were the ITM Aero 2.4. Mine’s the Sportive Racing frame by the way.

Shack
    Free Member

Planet X Pro Carbon. Had mine just over a year now. Sram Red for a grand!Model B wheels are exceptional value. Cant fault it. Every time I ride it, it just puts a huge grin on my face.

rootes1

Cannondale Synapse 105

Comfy ride

kilo

I’ve got a sportive bianco with sram red, very pleased with it but the ITM Aero 2.4s were not much cop, very difficult to get a wide variety of tyres on them so sold fairly sharpish.
    A very comfortable, good value, good handling frame (I’ve got steel and aluminium road bikes and rate the ribble), we’ve had three bikes and loads of kit off Ribble and never had any problems with them

jbwilliamz
    Free Member

Boardman?

jimc101
    Free Member

Planet X, had a Pro Carbon for 3 year now, no issues with it. not keen on the Model B wheels thou, had used these before, have had issues with cassetes digging into the freehub splines, and as I had a spare set of Fulcrum 5’s from a stall project, stuck the Model B’s on ebay before riding the bike.

theboatman
    Free Member

Fulcrum racing 5? (+£115) or Kysirum elites?

I have the elites on my summer bike, and have been pretty happy with them, stiff, durable and not to lardy. Good for climbing, but not to aero if that’s what your after. They replaced a set of fulcrum 5’s which for the money, again plenty durable for riding around the potholed roads of Derbyshire, but just over 300 grams heavier iirc. I put just over 12k miles on them in three seasons, I replaced the rear bearings and they still had good life left in them when I sold them. So for me, it would just depend how spendy you want to get. Obviously, STW standard advice is get hand builts, but I’d happily run either of these two wheelsets again.

lunge

My conclusion when I was buying at this price the Planet-X and the Ribble’s were pretty similar in terms of spec.

In the end I went for neither as I got an Orbea from my LBS. The spec is not quite as good but I love it and getting it from a LBS was a huge help for my first road bike.

iainc

current issue of Cycling Plus tests a load of 1K bikes – worth having a read. The giant Defy won by a fair margin…

_tom_
    Free Member

I just ordered a 2011 cannondale caad8 tiagra for £589 posted from triton cycles, seems like a bit of a bargain to me. Don’t think the next model up was too dear either.

rootes1

I just ordered a 2011 cannondale caad8 tiagra for £589 posted from triton cycles, seems like a bit of a bargain to me. Don’t think the next model up was too dear either.

Top job!

hora
    Free Member

That does seem like good value but I think I’m firmly bang inbetween the remaining two sizes (56 and 61)- I’m 6ft1.6

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Surprised there’s only one recommendation for Boardman so far!
    I don’t have one, but if I was looking for a lot of bike for a little money that’s where I’d be looking.

rootes1

That does seem like good value but I think I’m firmly bang inbetween the remaining two sizes (56 and 61)- I’m 6ft1.6

I have a 61cm in cannondale and i am 6’5″ they size up bigger than others..

but 56 would would be too small..

as a few of mentions – Giant are ace value and well spec’d good looking – but with their compact sizing too small for me even in XL

Frankenstein
    Free Member

CAAD 10

ska-49
    Free Member

Surprised no one had mentioned the Canyon!
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2501
    Works out as £840 posted and has one hell of a spec for your buck. Sram Apex groupset (£400 alone), Mavic Aksium wheels and nice finishing kit. Im n the exact same position. Will be buying myself one and save the rest to travel/fix. Just a note of warning though, the canyon sizing comes in as 2cm above the norm. So dont be shocked if they suggest a larger frame to you.

oldgit
    Free Member

Going a bit left field here but, what about a steel handbuilt?

Bob Jackson 631 any colour in 1/2″ increments.
    SRAM Apex groupset inc chain and cassette.
    Shimano 501 wheels.
    Will cost you £912.41 Though you’ll still need bar/stem/post/saddle/tyres & tubes

hora
    Free Member

Oldgit oh hello. Edit you mean buy bits seperate and build as BJ’s site is frame eefurb/build not other services?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep, frame £458 and Ribbles for the groupset and wheels. Pretty certain that just leaves tyres/tubes and contact points?

cheers_drive

I built my Sportive up a couple of years ago. The builds options were OK VFM but I still got it cheaper and what I wanted by shopping around.
    The build has Rival groupset, Easton bars, stem and seatpost, Prologo saddle, and Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels for £1200.

oldgit
    Free Member

£485 even

MrSmith
    Free Member

hora forget the BJ and get a proper modern bike not a noodly/heavy stovepipe frame with a quill stem. if you want steel get a ‘modern’ oversize bike but your budget is not big enough (unless you get one of the guerciotti deda-eom/columbus frames they are knocking out.

my choice would be an alloy cannondale, easy to sell when you get bored/realise you bought the wrong size.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i am in exactly the same boat as OP hora in terms of price, requirement and height! any info will be gratefully stolen for my personal application.

any planet x users able to guide on sizing for someone like hora and me, i.e. just under 6’2″?

oldgit
    Free Member

Thing Hora hasn’t mentioned that he want’s a race bike. Steels been good enough for decades, and still is among Audaxers and tourists. Also it wont shit itself if you clamp bits and bobs to the frame.
    The Bob Jackson isn’t quill it’s 11/8″ ahead and is OS.
    If you want a noodley frame then get a PX or Ribble, even more so if you like the sound of wheels touching the sides under load. Cheap carbon has no redeeming features.
    And before you pipe up Realman, your only the size of Horas left arm 😉

winterfold
    Free Member

The Ribble may be brilliant, but imagine having the same bike as Realman?!

Ride some, see what you like, there is plenty of decent ones for that money, and you may find you can get something where people dont automatically think you are a MTBer out on their first road bike because its the new golf..

reggiegasket
    Free Member

just picked up a CAAD10 (105) off here for a mate. Very nice bike.

New 2011 ones come in just under a grand, if there’s any left. Nice frame, and would upgrade nicely.

I heard it through the grapevine that Ribble are struggling to flog their cheap carbons these days. Not enough cred and too much competition from the new kids on the block – Cube, Canyon et al.

RealMan
    Free Member

And before you pipe up Realman, your only the size of Horas left arm

I hadn’t even got here yet!

Cheap carbon has no redeeming features.

That’s not true. It looks nice and it’s cheap. There’s two.

The Ribble may be brilliant, but imagine having the same bike as Realman?!

Dare he live as few men dare to dream?

It is nice though..

But so are the canyons, although you haven’t really said what you want it for…? Racing? Sportives? Commuting? Club runs? Touring? Do you want to put mudguards and big tyres on it? Panniers?

hora
    Free Member

Need:
    – to drop weight (a stone from 16 to 15 ready for Spring trails). Help with climbing.
    – The Peak100 in April is my first target.
    – Solo rides early weekend mornings when I really need to be back early to spend the day with ToddlerHora.
    Sometimes climbing into a car to drive to a trail feels like a rush/commute. Sick of it
    – amateur mixed ability road rides

But tbh mainly solo rides when I can get out and back inbetween the rest of life.

Itd be fantastic to find a lightish steel frame, carbon forks and say 105 or equal Sram groupset with good wheels.

Question- With the Ribble, is my chubster upperbody weight over the front will flex Ribble carbon frame? Andyhilton of this parish leant my his old Ribble Ribelle with carbon Shimano? Wheels and boy did it feel like a slingshot when you started pedalling!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I used to have a Planet X SL, that was a fairly decent bike. I think they still sell them aswell. It climbed really nicely, there was loads of room when standing up going up steep hills, I even managed to climb hardknott pass on it!!!

It was fairly comfy, not really stiff, but nice for riding about on. I think the front end/forks were a bit flexy but it didnt bother me too much. I’m 6’2″ and had the XL size.

Bregante

Hora, I’ve been looking at the Cannondales too. I’m around the same height and weight as you at the minute….

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b65s6p3670

MrSmith
    Free Member

don’t go on a wild goose ebay chase for something ‘cheap’ go to a shop and get some quality sizing advice and buy one of the usual suspects dale/cube/boardman etc.
    i would rather pay slightly more for a dale/spec/trek/giant/fuji and have some good advice to go with it plus the usually essential stem length change and spacer adjustment by somebody who knows what they are doing not anecdotal sizing ‘advice’ off an internet forum.

actually ignore that and just buy something snazzy looking.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

actually ignore that and just buy something snazzy looking.

Thats the best way to do it I think.

hora
    Free Member

Bregante that’s a good first bike. You don’t look as fat as me 😉

Popocatapetl

The CF8 looks right up your street Mark-Cheap run-around. They have neglected to mention the price though 😉

smell_it
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rule out the planet x superlight team alu frame and fork package, add to that a sram apex group, some of the vision trimax wheels (going for a song at px) or even the px al30’s, and some low end deda finishing kit that offers plenty of bang for your book and IMO you would be looking at a tidy bike.

hora
    Free Member

Ady blimey they don’t have a sale section do they 😮

Mrsmith, I once borrowed a bike off of popo after I’d chipped my Patella/was off the bike for abit a year ago and it wasn’t the right size…..it gave me back ache. So you’re right.

Gary_C

I can see it now:

Soon to be seen in the classifieds:

For Sale: Ribble road bike, used once, reason for sale: head angle too steep/seat angle too steep/top tube too long/bar tape wrong colour/fickle owner…

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘My first Road bike- Considering a Ribble Sportive – any others?’ is closed to new replies.