• This topic has 17 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mdb.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • My first CX race today
  • mdb
    Free Member

Did my first CX race today at the London League race at Plumpton College. It was great! Why have I never done this before? Managed a top 20 finish, on a 29er, on a course which those that know said was tough. Great atmosphere and all the racers were well mannered but super competitive. Loved it. I want more.

aP
    Free Member

Well done!
    We were there, herself was chief commissaire and I conveniently mispacked lastnight and didn’t take shorts…
    Did look a bit muddy!

Jamie
    Free Member

Remember, as long as you don’t Joey, you’re in for a good time…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGAIYKTZ9w[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mdb
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s coming from an MTB background but I found I could easily overtake on the corners but then had to battle on the straights. Then as the race progressed it came down to the fitness and sheer determination. Such a great format and the short course makes it really interesting, especially with the switchback turns where you can get sight of the people in front and behind. A cross bike is on my Xmas list now.

aP
    Free Member

Good for you!
    I set out the twisty section in the farmyard (with Jo Burt… who discovered noise making metal…)

mdb
    Free Member

I really liked that farmyard section. Felt a bit post-nuclear wasteland but it levelled the field with all those turns. Good work.

acehtn
    Free Member

Jamie, have seen that term “joey” used on the american forums, wasn’t sure until now if it was an insult, as you have shown it’s not that sinister.

mdb, did you race on a stock mountain bike ? just curious about widebars amongst all the drops.
    Gearing up to have a go on a 29er too, with 35mm tyres and 50cm flat bar, try and blend in a bit 🙂

P.S.
    any photos of the day

mdb
    Free Member

I was on 690mm wide bars and they were fine. In fact I think they have some advantage on the corners as they are more stable compared to twitchy drop bars. My 29er had 35mm CX tyres and they were perfect for this course.

acehtn
    Free Member

🙂 Ta muchly.

john_l
    Free Member

AP. – missed you, I think? Was that mrs ap starting us?

That was a really tough course, especially the 2nd bumpy field. But brilliant.

Massive thanks to Mark & team for having the balls to put it on – the atmosphere was superb & 60+ in each field makes for ace racing.

John (singlespeed vet)

aP
    Free Member

john_l, I was stood miserably next to the JoB metal clangers, oh did the grid line up. Yes it was herself doing the grid, and chief commi. You rode so much better through the farmyard once they’d got bored and wandered off 😉

john_l
    Free Member

Yeah, took a few laps to find a rhythm through there!

london_lady
    Free Member

Bearing in mind that it was the first cx race that the club had hosted it went very well. It was grim weather but I saw smiles from racers through the mud clad faces!

surfer
    Free Member

This is probably a stupid question but what tyres 😳 Are they CX tyres on your 29er?

surfer
    Free Member

mdb
    Free Member

This is probably a stupid question but what tyres Are they CX tyres on your 29er?

Yes you can put cross tyres on a 29er as they are same wheel size, 700c.

I borrowed some Kendas from a mate at work. The low pressure and skinny tyre takes some getting used to.

surfer
    Free Member

Ta 🙂

What pressures?

mdb
    Free Member

I was running about 35psi, probably could have been closer to 30 but I was worried about pinch flats

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘My first CX race today’ is closed to new replies.