Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • my first bike build .. GT for a runabout
  • Keva
    Free Member

frame is an old 1998 alu GT resprayed
    forks are steel from an old 2006 Inbred
    Mavic CrossRide wheels and LX crank came from my XTC
    brake and saddle donated by a mate for very small cost
    handlebars found in my shed
    the rest I sourced from ‘tinternet and bike shop

frame head set and forks. Never fitted headset cups before, I did it using the kitchen side board for support, the chopping board and a hammer

bought a stem and spacers, fitted some handlebars I found in the shed, put the saddle on and some old wheels to see what it would look like

grips and brake fitted

bottom bracket in, crank, pedals and chainring fitted

Grips

chain and tensioner on plus Mavic Wheels with SS kit

finished bike and the cat.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

nice that

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Really like that. Simplicity.

tmb467
    Free Member

binners

That’s lovely! I built up something very similar with a 1999 GT Timberline. Powder coated it black, and built it up with bits I had kicking about. Old pace carbon forks, singlespeed. The whole thing came in at under £100 including the powder coating. It ended up doing more miles than any other bike

Must dig a picture out

bearnecessities

I did it using the kitchen side board for support, the chopping board and a hammer

😀

Love that crank/ring for some reason. I can’t see your cat though.

Keva
    Free Member

cheers guys. I’m pretty chuffed with it considering the condition it was in when I got the frame. When I can eventually get the picture of it uploaded I’ll post it.

A real sense of achievement and satisfaction, think I’m going to build more bikes 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

that’s good going on cost binners, this cost me £270 😯

cost:

paint 80
    headset 36
    stem 18
    grips 18
    spacers 04
    post-IS mount 08
    hanger 20
    one spd kit 60
    chain stay prot 10
    rr tyre 20

total 274

cat is behind the front wheel bearnecessities 🙂

bearnecessities

Oh yeah 😳 For some reason my cat always gets in bike shots as well.

binners

Kev – the frame cost me £11 off eBay. I couldn’t believe it. It was really tatty, but still. It was a proper brazed Reynolds 525 frame! I think all I paid for was a new headset, cranks, saddle and grips. Just goes to show how much stuff ends up just sat in your garage!

There’s something that makes building a bike like that even more rewarding than some uber-bling superbike 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

nice one binners, yup. I really can’t see myself building an uber bling bike, no need, but I’m tempted to start building others like this. I’ll do at least 10miles a day on it for work, shopping and pub duties. I could use it for cross country just by swapping the tyres and fitting a 36t chainring but I’ve two other bikes for that anyway. It’s running 42t/16 at the mo for road.

here’s what it looked like when I picked it up off a mate, it had been hanging up in his garage since 2006..,

bearnecessities

I have a flymo you can borrow if you’re near BD11 😀

Keva
    Free Member

to trim the cat? 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

My sort of bike. Nice.

takisawa2

Popular colour. 🙂
    Did this rattle can DIY special a few years ago.

20112009091 by pten2106, on Flickr

02012010146 by pten2106, on Flickr

02012010144 by pten2106, on Flickr

tmb467
    Free Member

My GT tequesta started off brown and with a headset that wouldn’t turn

Now SS and white with original GT rigid forks, original black GT flat bars (narrow) and silver azonic one piece stem. Magura HS33s in white, white saddle and grips and a nice red salsa chainring

Keva
    Free Member

nice paint job on that one takisawa, what frame is it?

bigshep
    Free Member

Just wondering why you bothered putting a disc on the rear wheel when the frame is rim brake only 😕 Aesthetics?
    Nice job btw.

dantsw13

Love it!!

(Sneaks off to eBay for an old frame to build up)

All my current mtb’s are frame only builds. Now you have the bug it’s the only way!!

Keva
    Free Member

big shep, the wheels came off my Giant XTC and I can’t take the disc off until I get one of those star shaped allen keys to undo the bolts!

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m halfway through a recycle build too. I’ve got a 2002 Kona Caldera frame to powdercoat and some on one rigid forks, just need some cheap disks now and then can finish it off. Total cost should be under 250.

My last cheapie cost less than a hundred quid, handsome dog frame and specialized steel forks off here for £35! just about to retire it after circa 20,000 commuter miles over 7 years. Total bargain.

takisawa2

It’s an old Trek 4300.
    Sold on in EBay before I got round to building it

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘my first bike build .. GT for a runabout’ is closed to new replies.