Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • My feet jumped off the pedals
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Going down Devil’s Elbow in the Peaks at some speed last night, and my feet were bounced off the pedals, which was pretty alarming. I managed to stay on the bike but it made me realise how much I really want to avoid that happening again.

It’s a hardtail so I appreciate there’s a bit more shaking around on a rough descent, but even so I’m totally against the idea of being fastened to the bike, so SPDs are a non-starter. I’ve been looking at Superstar Nano pedals – can I use them with my North Face Hedgehog walking shoes, or would I need 5-10s or something of that ilk to get the most out of them? Also I notice the pins look pretty nasty – are a set of shin guards essential, or merely a good idea?!

Alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions of pedals, shoes etc to maximise grip?

Thanks

atlaz
    Free Member

Pedals help. Technique helps more. You should be able to keep your feel on the pedals anyway with some judicious use of bending arms and legs and dropping your heels.

Slogo
    Free Member

So many people are against the Idea of Spds, but as soon as they try them they love them!

Seriously try a pair.

isitaboutabicycle
    Free Member

Second that. There are very few occasions when I use flats…

andywill

Spd’s on the hardtail.
    Flats on the Full suspension.
    Works for me anyway, feel much more in control on the hardtail with Spds.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, try a pair of clip in pedals. Time ATAC would be my recommendation. Give them a go. You’re never “attached” beyond a point of control, and any time you might crash, you soon get out of them!

greeble
    Free Member

proper mtb shoes help, drop your heels keep your weight back

legend
    Free Member

Also, walking shoes generally make terrible riding shoes. Get some cheap skate shoes to start with

thomthumb
    Free Member

technique will be better than equipment

geetee1972
    Free Member

Also, walking shoes generally make terrible riding shoes. Get some cheap skate shoes to start with

Second that big time; if you’re not using either a variant 5.10 or Shimano AM40 then no wonder your feet are getting bounced off.

Walking shoes have a curved sole, where the instep rises to meet the arch of your foot, This greatly reduces the contact area between your pedal and the shoe. Seriously using trail walking shoes on an MTB is lethal, even on full suss, let alone a hardtail.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I didn’t get on with SPD’s at all on the MTB. Love them on a cx or road bike but I never felt right with them on the MTB at all.

I bought a set of DMR V8 flats and really love them. I do wear them with walking shoes and I’ve only had a bounce once when I landed badly off a drop and I know that was down to poor technique.

Am considering an upgrade to MTB shoes now I’m fully employed again!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You can spend ages developing better technique (and probably become a much better rider while doing so), and experimenting with shoes/pedals, or you can cheat and buy spuds, which is what I did.

Now I’m (even more) hopeless without spuds. I can’t even pedal to the shops without trying to lift my feet off the pedals. Personally I feel far happier and secure clipped in to the bike and my feet just seem to intuitively unclip whenever I need to dab.

jedi

U can’t place the flat pedal underfoot in the same place as an spd. If the foot can’t rotate then you kick the pedals away. Simples

Davesport

One other thing to consider, is that if you’re mid air & your backside contacts the seat it can push the bike down away from your feet.

Have you tried dropping your seat right out of the way ?

D.

zangolin
    Free Member

If your current pedals are those cheap ones that often come with new bikes – i.e. the pins and pedal are all moulded/cast as one unit then chuck them as they have no edge on the pins to grip your shoe’s sole. SS nanos are a good choice get them first – give them a go with your current shoes. As others have said you will find proper mtb flat shoes much better than your current ones – but the pedals would be the best thing to change first.

zangolin
    Free Member

If your current pedals are those cheap ones that often come with new bikes – i.e. the pins and pedal are all moulded/cast as one unit then chuck them as they have no edge on the pins to grip your shoe’s sole. SS nanos are a good choice get them first – give them a go with your current shoes. As others have said you will find proper mtb flat shoes much better than your current ones – but the pedals would be the best thing to change first.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

seconded on the cheap skate shoes, use a £20 pair and are brilliant. i don’t like the idea of Spuds either – i can see the benfits but as my name woudl suggest i fall off………a lot and sometimes i just wanna bail and being an idiot having one extra thing to think about is going to end in disastor

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So many people are against the Idea of Flats, but as soon as they try them they love them!

Seriously try a pair.

FTFY 😛

+1 for half decent flat pedals and skate shoes, my element townsends have been my best shoes by far, unfortunaltely after almost 5 happy years together I think it’s time to part company as the sole is just about worn through completely 🙁

D0NK

I went through a phase of trying flats again after a few years spding, rode bmx a little too, OK for messing about on but not for “proper” riding

(all IMO of course)

Devils elbow? Do tell, sounds interesting.

chiefgrooveguru

Technique! Heavy feet, light hands, etc etc.

Trimix
    Free Member

If you dont want to bounce out get clipped in. Its that simple.

Then simply twist to unclip, it is that simple.

DezB
    Free Member

Soles are much too thick on NF Hedgehogs. Ok to keep your feet dry if its raining!

butcher

I slipped a foot off a pedal the other day popping off a measly 6″ curb like drop. Full body weight on other pedal = opposing pedal at terminal velocity to shin.

It’s enough to make a grown man want to cry.

D0NK

My chain slipped going down a road very quickly, one foot slipped of my odyssey black widows, foot went over the front of the pedal, not quite sure exactly what happened next but I ended up sitting on the top tube, with both feet dragging along the ground (feet pointing backwards) with the pedals ripping into my calves, my (new) trainer uppers getting shredded and weight so far forwards I was having trouble reaching my brakes

at about 20mph on a busy road.

xiphon
    Free Member

+1 on the ‘improve technique before buying new shiny bits’

fwiw, I ride flats (Burgtec Penthouse) + skate shoes (5.10 lows) on the DH bike, and AM45/Spesh BG + PD-M424 on the XC bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

I just got a pair of these, can’t vouch for the durability but soles are lovely and sticky – 60a just like a maxxpro tyre. And the price is right…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=78084

If they don’t have your size, look for other Duffs on CRC with sticky soles. There are a few options.

ads678

To start with, get a set of wellgo v8 copies for a tenner(ish) or something second hand and a cheap pair of skate shoes from tkmaxx and see what you think. If you like that kind of set up look at the more expensive options.

I use DMR V8’s and Etnies low cut’s, just cos i’ve got about 5 pairs laying around, and i rarely jump off the pedals, even on proper DH tracks, since I started dropping my heels more.

jedi

when you ride your feet must be able to rotate over the axel of the pedal or when airborune you toes point down and you kick your feet off the pedals. see my position

Herts_Vlog_Shoot_0013 by ukbikeskills, on Flickr

Tiger6791

But your near toes are pointing up and you landed on your front wheel.

I think you need to go on a skills course….

*Also it would appear your stem has achieved nuclear fission, handy if you need to charge your phone..

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Spd’s on the hardtail.
    Flats on the Full suspension.
    Works for me anyway, feel much more in control on the hardtail with Spds

+1

Lifer
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

Second that big time; if you’re not using either a variant 5.10 or Shimano AM40 then no wonder your feet are getting bounced off.

😐

Never used either when I ran flats didn’t have a problem. Various Nike 6.0, Vans, Etnies and DCs over the years.

Lifer
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    If you dont want to bounce out get clipped in. Its that simple.

Then simply twist to unclip, it is that simple.

Shouldn’t need to clip in to avoid bouncing off!

portlyone

+1 drop your heels.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s a hardtail so I appreciate there’s a bit more shaking around on a rough descent, but even so I’m totally against the idea of being fastened to the bike, so SPDs are a non-starter.

Do you find yourself “losing confidence” if you try to ride with mud tyres on dry trails? 🙄

_tom_
    Free Member

Heels down and feet more centred on the pedals seems to work for me. I don’t get on with spuds on the mtb, just feels wrong but maybe mine just have way too much float as the side to side movement of them is what makes it feel so horrible.

user-removed
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

Christ but there’s some carp spouted on here at times. I don’t bounce off my pedals (HT and flats). I usually just ride in an old pair of Salomon trainers with decent grip for pushing up the very steep stuff, but if you don’t do hike-a-bike, then yes, flat-soled skate shoes are just the job.

I do own a pair of 5:10 Stealths, and yes, they are very good, and yes, you do notice the difference but as many have said, technique is key, rather than choice of shoes.

imp999
    Free Member

I ride in Hedgehogs and they are fine with Wellgo V12 coppies.
    They have got a bit of a heel so I get a good consistant foot position with them on the pedals.

smiff
    Free Member

yeah bouncing off means you didn’t read the ground properly – either not paying attention or reading it but not knowing how to time/move your weight.
    i think jedi is saying put the pedals further back, in the middle of your foot, not under the ball as with SPD cleats.
    Also, i like to imagine i’m curling my feet around the pedal. Like a monkey. ugg ugg.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

To be fair Devil’s Elbow is a bit of a mess at the moment and it is pigging rocky. If I’m on my BFe, even with spiky Wahwahs and Teva Links I’m struggling to keep my back foot in position – I just can’t drop my heel far enough whilst bending my knee to keep my heel below the pedal axle.

SPDs are great, but they’re not the be all and end all. If you can ride flats well too you’ll be an all round better rider. (I’m “naturally” a clips rider, but my cornering improved no end once on flats)

HermanShake
    Free Member

SPDs are a quick fix at the expense of technique. I used to ride with cleats and when they work they work very well. My knees have me back on flats, it took a while to learn how to ride properly again but I feel my technique is better overall now.

Cleats will solve the bounce issue but make you lazy, plain old v8 pedals+skate shoes and technique has worked for many, many MTBers for a fair few years now! I now have some 5tens, it’s a bit weird not being able to adjust so easily. I definitely wouldn’t ride in an approach/walking shoe, not enough contact.

I love a pedal debate, so much guff!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘My feet jumped off the pedals’ is closed to new replies.