My fault or faulty product?

Home Forum Bike Forum My fault or faulty product?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • My fault or faulty product?
  • mrchrispy

swerved a bullet me thinks

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Bubs wrote:

The caliper on my new slx disc brake has just gone pop and covered half of my kitchen in brake fluid after I had bled it (using the proper bleed kit and instructions). Looks like the seal has gone on one of the pistons.
    Was this my fault or have I just narrowly avoided a nasty accident (from a faulty product)?

If it’s new – never been used? and you followed the instructions then return it’s under warranty.

bubs

I don’t know where I would stand with a warranty – I had to shorten the hose and then bleed – but I will definately try. I just didn’t know if it was possible to over pressurise the system or something. They were super stiff before going pop.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Really hard to say- did you have pads or a spacer in the brake when you were working on them or did the pistons get pushed out too far? You can’t really overpressurise them (well you could but not by accident) but there are things you can do when handling a brake that can cause them to pop a piston, or which can damage a seal.

bubs

I had pads in and a spacer whilst bleeding. They only went pop after I refitted them to the bike and gave the brake lever a couple of squeezes. I will go back to the company I bought them from but I am now a bit concerned that the front brake might do the same and I am supposed to be heading to Spain in 2 weeks (where it is nice to have confidence in your brakes). Ho hum.

bubs

The caliper on my new slx disc brake has just gone pop and covered half of my kitchen in brake fluid after I had bled it (using the proper bleed kit and instructions). Looks like the seal has gone on one of the pistons.
    Was this my fault or have I just narrowly avoided a nasty accident (from a faulty product)?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘My fault or faulty product?’ is closed to new replies.