• This topic has 97 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • my Father has died
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve been grieving for almost 25yrs. No one to correct me. Mrshora was and is my anchor. (Well sometimes ball and chain!). Time to get pissed. Thank you guys. Stw is full of likeminded-nerds. 🙂

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this Mark. If you fancy a ride or a just a chat give me a call or email. I’m heading out to rivi in the morning if you fancy a ride.

Andy

brakes
    Free Member

sorry to hear that Mark 😐
    maybe there are opportunities to repair bonds amongst the family now

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Look after yourself fella.

Hohum
    Free Member

That’s bad news.

Even though you had little contact I can understand why you feel sad.

Go and have some drinks as you said.

hora
    Free Member

Andy longshot but binners is riding rivi/darwen tomrrow as well if your solo? I’m doing the jacobs loop with the hayfield descent included tomorrow if you have more available time. 11am start at barber booth. Btw all of my family have always been there for me. All sides. Its just me who has avoided and sidestepped all of them. Why they were patient and always offered their time gawd knows. Last year I avoided my second cousins wedding. Wasted her money on the place/seat that she had offered me. Gawd I’m an idiot. A bloody nice family.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Gawd I’m an idiot.

True, but that’s why we love you. 🙂

You can at least recognise yer own faults, and accept you can change. That takes courage.

Have one on me, Hora. Binners’ll pay.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Cheers Mark, not solo and don’t have much time tomorrow (wife & xmas duties). Heading up with a neighbour so will leave it this time. If you fancy ride over the festive period let me know and I’ll do my best to get out.

Andy

druidh
    Free Member

Commiserations. If you have the strength, you might want to consider how the rest of the family is dealing with this too and see if they need support. Doing so can help you. As already said above, don’t dismiss grievance counselling – I’m currently considering it myself.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Sorry to hear of your loss.Chin up.

singletrackmind

Strange the emotions we still feel even when someone dies that we dont actually like.
    Sorry for your loss Hora .

nim

Condolences Hora. Was in a similar situation a couple of years back.
    Hadn’t been in touch with my old man for 20 years, for various and complicated reasons. Despite the anger I sometimes felt, it was sadness and pity that came through more in the end as he missed ever seeing my sister’s beautiful kids come in to the world or later on my gorgeous (me, biased?? never!) daughter’s arrival. Being a Dad now makes you realise the impact and responsibility parents have and it’s a minefield trying not to screw up. It’s sad to say but my dad was a role model in the sense that I don’t want to be like him in so many ways. It’s a tough, confusing time. Ideally, we’d all like to have perfect parents, siblings etc but that’s not really how it tends to pan out for most of us. Take care of yourself.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Sorry to hear man, your dad’s still your dad I guess

All the best

Dylan08
    Free Member

sorry to hear of you’re loss …

fotorat
    Free Member

1- Sounds like the world is a better place without him in it

2- Sounds you are better off now he is gone

3- Sounds like its time for your Dad to finally make a positive contribution to you – try http://www.contest-a-will.co.uk/

h4muf
    Free Member

Really sorry for you Mark.

Chin up mate.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

jesus fotorat!

Sorry to hear about your loss, however much, or little bearing it has on your life.

kaesae – Member
    Sorry to hear that Hora, my sperm doner left when I was 4, don’t really have much use for him now.

If you decided to live without him in your life, perhaps it was for the best.

Time is great for helping us learn how to deal with all sorts of internal turmoil, ridefree!

My sperm donor also left when I was 4.

I traced my grandparents when I was 21 and through them got in contact with my old man in Hong Kong. We met and got on fantastically, travelling out to see him in HK and he’s been over here a few times.

I have 2 sisters that I would have never even known about had I not got in touch and my life is richer for it. Your situation may be entirely different Kaesae, but don’t write off ever meeting him again unless you have good reason.

cinnamon_girl

fotorat – that is a particularly insensitive reply.

takisawa2

Sorry for your feeling of loss hora. My old man left when I was 9. He shows up xmas day each year with pressies for my children. He’s a stranger to them else. They dont know him, and usually hide. Annoys me. He avoids me, as the eldest of four. Probably because I remember best what we went through as young children because of his boozing. He was a selfish bar-steward, short & simple. Thinking of what we went through makes me very angry.

A blast on the bike will help you start to put stuff in place.

juiced
    Free Member

sorry to hear that.

gog
    Free Member

Hora feel for you, enjoy your ride tomorrow and don’t beat yourself up. Carry on being there for your lad, and maybe say thanks to MrsHora for being that rock.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Hora. At least you can try to be the best dad ever to your little one.

Have one on me, Hora. Binners’ll pay.

+1!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hora, you’re a bigger man at times then most of us here. Be such again and make sure you don’t suffer alone. Get Mrs Hora to have a pint with you, make sure little Hora-sprog knows your love, be yourself.
    RIP Hora Senior, however mean/nasty/careless you might’ve been.

MrOvershoot

hora – Member

MrOvershoot I bet you are very proud :). I have spent most of my life feeling embarrased(?) Infront of my family.
    Yes I was proud of my dad, but against his achievements I guess I feel a bit of failure.

So I say you are going to be better than your dad.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Condolences hora

Elfin’s right about counselling too. If there’s stuff in your head you can sort out, that will only be a good thing for you and your boy.

LimboJimbo

Sorry to hear that Mark, I hope you can find a way of making sense of stuff.

Ifrider
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss regardless of what went on… Not seen mine since my mum finally kicked him out when I was 11 (36 now)
    After seeing him get pissed every day, treat my mum like crap, never let me have friends round, beat my big sis up… understandably I don’t see him now. He briefly popped round one day after they’d split and he broke into our gas meter while my mum as work 🙁
    I can also recall him robbing a load of cash I’d collected as a schoolkid to give to a cancer charity. Needless to say, he’s never seen my kids and I don’t even know if I’d go to his funeral but still, you’ve lost your father and it’s still a lot to take on… 😉
    Ditto comments above, be the best dad to your kids and have a good drink. Despite what folk say, getting hammered does sort a lot of crap out in your head if you’re with someone that cares… Chin up bro…

pitduck
    Free Member

🙁

baldSpot
    Free Member

Bummer fella 🙁

Hate knowing that I’ll hear that news one day – I love my Dad

Growing up I always assumed that all parents are like mine. Life has shown me that isn’t true 🙁
    I am very lucky to have a fantastic dad and so are your offspring 🙂

Bunnyhop

Mark its really sad that you have lost your Father in these circumstances.
    You can’t beat yourself up for something that happened a long time ago.

You have your own family now, put all your energy, effort and love into them.

sturmeyarcher

Hold your head high Hora, I wish you the very best.

I fear I have the same thing coming, 20 years since last contact and no real hope of reconciliation. I feel sorry for my Dad and wish he had a forum like this to show him what’s important in life before it’s too late. It’s been mentioned before and it is so very true: when you’ve seen how not to do it, you know how to be a great Dad.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Sorry for your bad news Hora.

Stay positive for your Family.

Drac

Deepest sympathies. Don’t the the if only thing whats done is done, another chapter in life and now to continue writing new ones.

Gary_C

Sorry to hear your news.

My dad died 12 weeks ago, & we were very close, the pain & sense of loss subsides slightly day by day.

Kevevs
    Free Member

good post baldspot. you’ve articulated what I’ve been meaning to say.

RustySpanner

Condolences Hora (and to you too Druidh, Gary_C and anyone else who’s grieving at the moment).

Talking to your mates is fine, but sometimes talking to strangers is better – Elf and Druidh’s comments about counselling are spot on.

Take care.

O
    Free Member

Yep, pretty much what everyone else says Mark/Hora, know you get a bit of stick on here but hope you know that people are thinking about you and your family.

take it easy mate.

monksie
    Free Member

Find your own way Hora.
    One of my brothers sat talking to our dad for over two hours at the end of his funeral. Just telling him how he had made him feel, how hard he’d wanted to make him happy and how he was going to have a good life despite his upbringing.
    That made him happy and gave him closure.
    I spat on his grave and got myself the hell back to my family in New Zealand.
    That made me happy and I was never open enough to need closure.
    Everybody is different.

Kunstler

I told the coroner that I have lived a good and just life. I owe my son guidance and duty. Thank you guys. I feel loss. A father figure is such a honour and hard task isn’t it. I am not bitter just feel sadness.

In prescence or absence it’s an important relationship. My relationship with my father isn’t as open as he probably believes or I wish and he is very old and will be gone soon. That will be tough – as I’m sure this must be for you Hora and you have my sympathy.
    It might be the thing that I’m most proud of to say that my almost fifteen-year-old son is my best friend but it would definitely be the proudest thing to hear him say the same.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘my Father has died’ is closed to new replies.