Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • My dogs just killed….
  • oldgit
    Free Member

The neighbors Parrot. The dog was having a quick wee in the garden and got out.
    The gardens fenced off, but people say that some dogs can scale fences?.
    It went into another garden, managed to get into the house and get the Parrot.
    The dog was accidently let out the house by a visitor to our place on firework night and ended up at the same house. So it must have known the Parrot was there and went for it three months later.
    This dog is’nt insured, not that it would have helped. I just don’t know were I stand.
    We have only had this dog since August (it was a rescue dog) and the kennels checked our security, which was fine.
    We have another dog, a Springer that we’ve owned without incident since 2000.
    I was advised by the son of the owner not to see them just yet.
    Don’t know what to do?

druidh
    Free Member

Braise it for 30 minutes and add a curry sauce?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Was it a Norwegian blue?

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

Good answer – sneak over and nail it to the perch!

therealhoops
    Free Member

pining for the Fjords?

tails
    Free Member

oh thats not nice I would get that credit card braced as some parrots are very valuable, enough for burglars to plan there theft. If it was my parrot I’d want the value back as a bare minimum. You sound like a reasonable chap so sort it out in the same fashion.

oldgit
    Free Member

Having a joke at the expense of a dead Parrot and grieving owners.
    Should have known you gits.
    So does hell await as I smirked at IM’s comment?

MaxWall
    Free Member

druidh – that is the funniest thing I have read in ages :lol:, sorry oldgit but it just hit the spot!

taxi25
    Free Member

As Tails said,your going to have to fork up the cost of a new parrot.They can be expensive!!!

mildred

This is too weird to be true.

However, under the Dogs Act 1871, any person may make a complaint to a magistrates court that a dog is dangerous, or report the matter to the police. If the court is satisfied that a dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control, it may make an order for it to be controlled or destroyed.

The Animals Act 1971 provides that the keeper of an animal is liable for any damage it causes, if he knows it was likely to cause such damage or injury unrestrained.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Don’t just offer to replace it, though, Might seem a bit insensitive.

I’d glue it to my sons face, and fight it off with a shovel though. Make it look like self defence

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Your dog will be up in front of the beak, soften the blow to your neighbours, offer to stuff the parrot with pollyfiller

Houns

Some Shrewd advice on here, offer to pay as they may want to claw in back..Be careful they maybe robin bastids and try to rip you off

Flaperon

House insurance might cover it. Worth checking?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

So you’ve ruffled a few feathers, tell the husband that you new his wife had had a cockatoo 😈

soobalias
    Free Member

think if you wanna check your byelaws its actually your neighbours responsibility to secure their garden to prevent anything entering it.

since you didnt deliberately set the dog on the parrot – its not actually your problem so long as you agree it was bad and promise to keep the dog under stricter control in future.

either way i dont envy you the inevitable conversation, a lot of sorry required?
    may be best to contact the rescue, if necessary you may have to return it just to appease the neighbours, depends how much you give a $hit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sobalias – it does not have to be deliberate. a dog owner is responsible for any damage the dog causes as Mildred says above. No defense. the dog causes damage the owner is liable. animals act 1971 – its there on the net if you google for it.

m0nster2
    Free Member

It’s all the rage, you know?

vimto
    Free Member

if the parrot had kicked first and asked questions later, it would be a different story

psychle
    Free Member

but people say that some dogs can scale fences?.

Here’s a classic example of the climbing dog in action 🙂

BTW, is your dog a beagle?

Shadow
    Free Member

the parrot did not know his trail craft!! his bad take note everybody

ex-pat
    Free Member

Pop down your local pet shop (not pet shop shop of course) and get a budgie. Tell them that in the new world everything has had to be reduced – including the parrot.

Can they prove that the parrot was in fact alive at the time of the dog’s intervention? Might be a plausible question once you’ve had a read of this:

http://www.parrots.com/birdsale.htm

Good luck.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

How did the dog get into their house? I can understand getting out of your garden and into theirs but not into their house unless the let it.

funkynick

TJ… if you are quoting Mildred, then get it right… they said:-

The Animals Act 1971 provides that the keeper of an animal is liable for any damage it causes, if he knows it was likely to cause such damage or injury unrestrained.

The bit you seem to have just glossed over is the section that says, ‘if the owner knows it was likely to cause such damage or injury unrestrained’.

In this case I’d say unless oldgit knew the dog was likely to try and escape the garden, and had a habit of killing birds, then quite how he is supposed to know the dog is likely to do that is quite beyond me, so I would imagine he would not be strictly liable under that act.

I would venture to say that it would be a good idea though for oldgit to try and sort something out with his neighbours…

Coyote
    Free Member

Shoot the dog. There’s too many about anyway.

Then to make amends, invite your neighbours over for a Korean night.

hora
    Free Member

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Quick – this is still 99p on ebay. They’ll never notice the difference!

hora
    Free Member

Slightly OT- Reminds me of the time that I burst into the pub on a Sat night and said to my mates ‘theres a huge African Parrot in the bush outside’ (que gags/lafs about drugs/drink).

Poor Parrot stayed there all night (frosty night) as RSPCA/etc etc werent interested 🙁

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I like the contributions from armchair lawyers, especially when they can’t even spell ‘defence’.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Seriously – check you house insurance you may find it will be covered by that, but I think you’re going to have to be prepared to fork out for a new parrot if that’s what they want.

I really believe that as a responsible dog owner it is up to you to offer to replace the bird or at least offer to pay for the cost of replacing the bird. You need to remember that parrots live for years and just as we get attached to our dogs/cats, and would be upset if someone’s dog killed them, they may really be upset over the death of their parrot.

If their son is recommending you don’t see them yet, I would advise you drop them a note explaining how sorry you are about the accident, and that you’d like to discuss how you can make things right. Leave your contact details so they can contact you when they feel ready to.

slowjo
    Free Member

A mate of mine was knocked off his motorbike (in a 30mph zone i.e. residential area) by a dog several years back.He wasn’t too damaged but his leathers were scuffed up and there was several £100s of damage done to the bike. As someone called 999 for an ambulance (it looked much worse than it actually was)the plods turned up. They interviewed the dog’s owners who said that this was the first time the dog had strayed out of the garden, let alone run in front of a vehicle. To cut to the chase, the view the police took was that as this was a "one off" the owners were not liable and there would be no case to argue that it was generally "out of control". So…tough **** as far as he was concerned. There do seem to be some parallels between the incident with your ex parrot and my mate’s canine "friend"…..you may get away with it but then…..what do I know?

lowey

Defiantly offer to replace the parrot whilst apologizing profusely. You could be looking at anything between £400 and well over £1000, depending if it was hand reared, a good talker etc etc…

If it was my Parrot, I’d be gutted.

Some funny posts above though…. :p

hora
    Free Member

slowjo surely your mate could have brought a civil action against the owners for costs/repairs?

I almost knocked down two men last night on a three lane/40mph road. The idiots were in the process of legging it across as I was changing lanes/shoulder-checking. Luckily I looked back at the last moment and just missed them. There are continuous railing on this stretch and believe me, if I had hit them I would have checked my legal cover for partial-full liability of the pedestrians. GF said thats callous thinking but then, it wouldnt have been all my fault considering the idiots were reckless.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The dog in the OP had already made one attempt at getting into the neighbours house so I would think it highly probable that the need for "’if the owner knows it was likely to cause such damage or injury unrestrained’. would be met

AS for the coppers / motorcycle one. Cops not knowing the law shock – it happens all the time. No ordinary copper can be an expert on all obscure bits of law.

hora
    Free Member

Having a joke at the expense of a dead Parrot and grieving owners.
    Should have known you gits.

There was a thread on Pistonheads once. An absolute classic. Poster had found a dead cat on his drive and asked for advice on what to do with it. Some of the responses were pure comedy. Hang on….Now this is insensitive!!

http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/topic.asp?h=0&f=141&t=540886&nmt=Theres%20a%20dead%20cat%20on%20my%20drive

richc
    Free Member

ultimately reagrdless of what happens you are going be a a fair bit out of pocket, and you need to secure your garden. As if the dog got out once it will do it again

miketually
    Free Member

How did the dog get into their house? I can understand getting out of your garden and into theirs but not into their house unless the let it.

Maybe the dog picked the lock, or got the spare key from under a plant pot in the garden.

Or, and here’s a thought, maybe they had the door open?

richc
    Free Member

how dare they leave their own door open, in their own garden, its just reckless and irresponsible.

miketually
    Free Member

Defiantly offer to replace the parrot whilst apologizing profusely

Is that possible? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘My dogs just killed….’ is closed to new replies.