Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • My dog died
  • Karinofnine

I haven’t posted this until now, she died on 2 July, because I just couldn’t bring myself to.

She died. I’ve been more or less ok up to now, concentrating on the positives: more time to ride my bike, less stress (she was a very challenging dog to look after), more money. I miss her so much. I adored her, my life was organised to accommodate her.

I’ve been really good, been out in the evenings, done longer rides, played my recorder more (she hated it), tidied my garage, changed my work pattern, made plans. But today I feel so sad.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I still gets days like that and I lost Onza over seven years ago. Small price to pay for the highs you shared.

higgo
    Free Member

You have my heart-felt sympathy.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Thats shit..

Thats gotta be my only worry about being a dog-owner, is what happens when..

Feel for you.. 😥

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ahh am sorry to hear that as you talked about her fondly on here. There will be days of sadness for a good while, but in time there will be only the loving memories. Keep looking after yourself.

Perhaps post a favourite picture?

takisawa2

Thoughts & condolences mate. Been a few years since my old mate got so poorly I had to take the hardest decesion ever. Broke my heart.
    Still speak to him occasionally. (When nobody is looking/listening though). 😉
    The other night we passed along a track we walked on Cannock Chase, when he was a mad tearaway super-pup. He lives on, its just that I cant see him.
    Consider your back duly patted in man style.

qwerty
    Free Member

Healing vibes Karin, a sad loss but plenty of happy memories i’m sure. X

wisepranker
    Free Member

Sounds awful. It must be one of the worst things for a dog owner to go through.
    We’ve only had our two for 18 months or so now but I can’t imagine being without them.

Nothing much I can add to the other posts here but just remember the good times, I’m sure there were plenty.

mrben100
    Free Member

I still think of the family dog we had that died when I was 11 (32 in a couple of weeks) now and again.

It was the biggest consideration I had before we got our current dog – I advised the OH who had rabbits and small furry things growing up that she won’t have loved those anywhere near as she would a dog, and losing it would be devastating (in pet terms, obviously not people).

2 yrs on from having ours from a pup at 8 weeks and she fully admits she didn’t realise she would ‘love’ him so much.

Have had all manner of pets growing up and the companionship of a dog IMHO cannot be matched.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes i remember the day it happened I just could not say that she had died as it made it somehow real.

Healing vibes to you.

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry to hear it Karin. I remember you saying she was going, but it’s not something you can prepare for.
    I’m rubbish at saying the right thing, so I’ll stop there 🙁

unklehomered
    Free Member

It does creep up on you, after my Jasper died I caught myself staring when ever I dropped food and just stayed there. I also hated it when other people started leaving doors open that used to have to stay closed or our socks would be distributed about the house. All the best.

spacemonkey

Been there a couple of times myself, most recently with Bert back in early 2010.

Time is a healer though, even when there are days that just seem to throw something like this at you.

Healing vibes of the furry child variety …

samuri
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear this but as above, remember the good times.
    Dogs are like children to you, I understand how you feel.

Karinofnine

When I got her I had a dog psychologist to come and give me some advice. One thing she (and many others) said was on no account to let her sleep on the bed…

Well, and I’m laughing through tears now, bedtime would come, I’d tell her to get on her bed, and I’d get into my bed. She would come to my bedroom and walk down the side of my bed, banging her head onto my bed as she went and snorting each time she hit. Hilarious.

I can say she never slept on my bed… she slept in it. She insisted on sleeping under the duvet, and she would dive/burrow in and snuggle up. She was big and used to nick most of the bed, ever tried to get a sleeping Dobermann to budge up?

MrSparkle

We lost our dog in February http://mrsparkleversuslife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/goodbye.html
    It was a tough time for all the family. Time heals, eventually. After a long time of feeling that something was missing from our lives we took the plunge and now have this little feller:

Karinofnine

Love your blog, Missy loved nightriding in the woods. She would run in front so my light made a shadow, but bigger, so you could see massive shadow ears flapping. Funny.

willard

That’s the really big problem with dogs… They get under your skin like no other pet can.

It’s good to hear that you have so many happy memories though. Concentrate on those. It might not make the heartbreak easier, but it will make you smile and feel a little better.

LeeW

Karin, first of all, I’m sorry. I’m dreading losing my dog Jasper. But, if you’re ever fed up you can come and walk my other dog, she’s a bit special (Autistic) and only responds to women called Karin (My SO is called Karin too).

She sneaks around the bedroom looking for a way on the bed too.

Karinofnine

LeeW, I will go and walk the greyhounds at the local greyhound rescue but I went there just after she died to give them her left over food and wormer/flea treatments and it destroyed me for the rest of the day.

Too soon at the moment, but I will go and do it, it would be a good thing to help other dogs as I can’t get another of my own for the time being.

unklehomered
    Free Member

She was big and used to nick most of the bed, ever tried to get a sleeping Dobermann to budge up

Angus hogs the bed, Goldie, but usually he sleeps with his head on my feet which makes it ok… somehow.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Bon courage karinofnine.

Keep thinking of the good times.

Dogs eh? Who’d ‘ave ’em? They get ya every time.

SB

Pigface
    Free Member

It is so sad when you lose such a great friend, I was talking about my boy Badger to someone the other day and started filling up and he was a git 😆

Karinofnine

We used to do spoons – she was lovely and warm and I found the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest and soft sound of her breath very comforting and relaxing. Not sleeping very well since, but blagged some Valium from the doctor which helps.

I don’t miss those deadly dog farts though 🙂

Karinofnine

She loved vegetables. From the very first day I got her she would come and bang her head on my leg when I was preparing veg. Broccoli was her favourite, the stalks, and cauliflower stalks.

One time we were in the car, she in the back with the shopping. I could hear her nosing around in the bags then tearing packaging. I had smoked salmon so I imagined she would go for that… nope, broccoli.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’m so sorry to hear this, think of the good times.
    Dogs are ace.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you gave her as much as you could whilst she was alive, you couldn’t have done any more, she had the best life she could have thanks to you.

If you can’t stop thinking about her I think that you are going to have to get another dog, maybe something smaller and not too similar to avoid cloud your memory of her.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about that Karinofnine. Dogs are indeed ace. Maybe someday you’ll find another; not to replace her; but with whom to start a new adventure.

Karinofnine

Yes, I will get another dog, but right now I need to pay off my debts and change my work pattern. Plus at the moment it would feel sort of disloyal to her, if that makes sense?

soobalias
    Free Member

too soon to mention
    http://www.dobermannrehome.co.uk/needing_homes.php

Izzy on there is soo much like my Taz was……….

mtbmaff
    Free Member

So sorry for your loss Karin, take your time and have a break, I miss my dog so much still and it’s 2years now but one day I’ll have another but not yet 😥 Matt.

mogrim

Had mine put down on Monday, some kind of intestinal thing, she was pretty ill and the vet wasn’t at all hopeful she’d make it through the operation 🙁

RIP Kipper, you’ll be missed:

Karinofnine

Oh dear, I am so sorry. It’s hard isn’t it? x

mogrim

Not good, no. Still, she was adopted from a stray dogs organisation, and she had a good life with us.

Karinofnine

I was Missy’s third owner (that I know about) – I find it comforting to think that I gave her a good life.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Huge Hugs!!

Our Ted is just 2 1/2. When we got him (more MrsMM’s idea than mine..) I was kind of ‘yep, nice but, meh, he’s only a dog……’ boy do the little tinkers get right under your skin – would not be without him now, not at all…
    He also gets occasional bedroom rights but, for a smallish dog (he’s a leggy border terrier) he can’t half take up some duvet.
    Also, as a lot of folk have said, you really can sense a change in his attitude / behaviours when he’s had a night or two on the duvet…

ononeorange

Having met you Karinofnine I know what a really nice and decent person you are, and am very sorry indeed to hear your news.

Good work on thinking of the positives, keep it up but you will get down days. I wish I could suggest something more positive, but at least write something up on here when you do. Oh, and ride your bike, but I don’t need to say that do I.

Best wishes

Karinofnine

Thanks ooo, kind words.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So sorry to hear your news. From what I have read it sounds like your dog was blessed with a loving owner, so she had a great life.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’m not a dog person (I had a paper route as a kid!) but we’ve always had cats. I had to euthanize 3 of them in a 3 year period.

I have found that the best thing for me to do is to get another ASAP. I have always got another cat the next day, in fact. I figure that I can provide a home to one, and free up a spot in the shelter for another.

While they’re all different, and the new one will not be the same as the one that it replaced, they all have their own things that make them unique. Having another really takes my mind off of the one that I just lost.

This may not be right for you, but it works for me and I will do the same in the future.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘My dog died’ is closed to new replies.