Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • theotherjonv

they were saying at tea that a bad session here could lose the test and 2 down with 3 to play is goodbye Ashes.

Need some digging in now……

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

It’s not exactly looking convincing…

Cummins looks a handful

Klunk
    Free Member

nothing shot, these england batsmen have all the application and concentration levels of my 2 year old grand daughter.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Watched the highlights just now, and they showed a good few deliveries from Archer’s spell. Crikey! What an athlete he is – shortish run up, lovely and straight, so smooth. Cummins and Hazlewood are superb bowlers but there’s arms and legs going everywhere, Jofra is so smooth. Wrap him in cotton wool.

Granted Root got a good ball but he’s not exactly setting the world on fire is he? As per most England captain’s his average has dropped significantly when captaining and he doesn’t seem the most inspired when actually captaining either. Mind you, who else is there to do it?

thegreatape
    Free Member

So BBC Sport are talking about how this could end up with one of four results. First of all, I’m not sure what the fourth one is, but that aside, is there really any chance of an England win unless they get a good few more runs then Australia completely fall apart when batting? Surely a draw is the most likely outcome now?

Former England captain Alec Stewart on TMS: “Absolutely even stevens at the moment. England need to be batting at lunch – can they get a 250 lead before bowled out?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Best chance of an England win is the Aussie’s chasing around 240/50 I’d say and being unsure whether to stick or twist. Chances go up 50% if Smith can’t bat normally.

tjagain

greatape
    Win England. Wins Aus, Draw, tie are the 4 results

thegreatape
    Free Member

What’s the difference between a draw and a tie?

tjagain

A tie is when both teams have completed both innings and the scores are level. A draw is when one side does not complete both innings ie they run out of time.

Tied tests don’t really happen

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah ok. Like the World Cup final then.

frankconway

Tied tests – Benaud’s aussies v W Indies is the one usually quoted; may have been a few others but v rare.
    Given the way this test has gone it’s a possibility – but remote.
    Great vfm for those at Lords today – and more of the same tomorrow.
    Could be a great recovery after Edgbaston.
    Steady accumulation without loss in first hour then accelerate until
    lunch or 30 mins after, declare and go for it – use Woakes more.
    Can’t wait.

theotherjonv

Like the World Cup final then.

Pretty much although of course it was a limited overs game where wickets have no meaning

For it to be a tie in a timed game, both side must have the same aggregate score and have completed two innings (been all out or declared the innings closed)

If the side fielding fourth gets the other side out before they have got the runs needed – they win

If the side batting fourth gets the runs they needed before being all out – they win.

If neither of the above happen, and time runs out – it’s a draw. No matter how far on top one side or the other is

eg:

A – 250 all out

B – 250 all out

A – 250 all out

If B are 120-9 or 248-3 when time runs out, no matter how ‘inevitable’ the outcome would be, it’s a draw.

Now imagine the scenario above, for example with one ball to go, B are 249-9 needing 2 to win. All four outcomes are possible from one ball – if they get bowled or caught, or lbw etc., they lose by 1 run. If they hit two or more runs, they win by one wicket. If they hit the ball into outfield, run one and then stop – so ending on 250-9 – it’s a draw. But if they run one successfully (so it counts) and then are run out attempting a second – so ending on 250-ao – then it’s a tie.

It’s happened twice and I can’t work out if I’m surprised at its rarity or not. I guess not, as there are actually not many close tests that come to the wire. There are plenty where with a short time left (like say an hour or so) it could be tight and the atmosphere, etc. is very tense but most often there’s a clatter of wickets or a batter takes command and it doesn’t come close (eg: Oval 2005 until KP decided he wasn’t going to be the coconut in Brett Lee’s fairground game). There have been a few where runs have been got with a few balls to spare (England Pakistan in the first nighttime test of 2000-2001 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOjHxYIF7h4

or where a team has clung on by their fingertips (Cardiff 2009, https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/may/02/20-great-ashes-moments-cardiff

but the only one that had that potential for a tie that i remember was in the 2005 Ashes (and even that was a 3 result option, was never going to be a draw due to time left)

Today could be a tight one though…..better go for a ride now so I’m back in time!

pedlad

WhT free vpn for listening to tms from abroad?

Klunk
    Free Member

Steve smith ruled out for the rest of the test with delayed concussion…. takes 100 off englands declaration 😉

“Headache, dizziness, feeling slowed down, feeling in a fog, doesn’t feel right, drowsiness”.

think I’d get him off for an mri/ct sharpish

simondbarnes

Good to see concussion being taken seriously these days and allowing a replacement that is allowed to bat and bowl also a good move by the ICC.

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

Yup. That’s exactly the spot Hughes was hit at the SCG. I would be taking no chances.

Klunk
    Free Member

managed to get off nelson 🙂

martinhutch

Might not be seeing Smith at the next Test, either.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m not sure what rugby guidelines are but my son just got concussion for the second time diving. NHS guidelines are 2 weeks complete rest and three weeks before going back to your sport and then only if symptoms have cleared up. Friend is a nurse and involved with rugby and she left us in no doubt about following those guidelines.

cheers_drive

WhT free vpn for listening to tms from abroad?

Have you tried streaming from the BBC sport web page? If you’re in a country without domestic broadcasting rights you can listen to TMS.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good to see concussion being taken seriously these days

He should never have been back out yesterday. Right decision, but too late.

pedlad

Have you tried streaming from the BBC sport web page?

Yes and the sounds app. It’s blocked on both.

Edit I mean on the WiFi here. Can get it on mobile signal.

Houns

Everyday is a school day, thanks TJ/jonv

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Declaration after Stokes gets his ton?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Wonder if Broad has one of those spells left in him?

Houns

As long as he keeps causing Warner problems then that’s good for me

Klunk
    Free Member

couldn’t happen to a nicer chap….

Klunk
    Free Member

the Jofra express, right on time 🙂

Houns

Choo-choo!

Klunk
    Free Member

dangerous

Klunk
    Free Member

holy moly that’s quick……

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As Tuffers mentioned, its not just technical now, but abput bravery as well. Having grown up on a diet of Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose et al, its lovely to see such visceral bowling back on show.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pavel! What a lovley chap!

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

Blimey Leach is bowling hand grenades

pedlad

Come on England. 1 more wicket in next 5 min and they’ll start wobbling.

90mph+ on a slow pitch🏏🤔😯
    Is the measurement before or after the bounce? Must be before.

frankconway

Speed is measured when bowler releases ball using a radar gun, I think.
    Inteteresting that Headingley has been measured as the fastest track in England; if true……

Houns

Ooh…..

Speed gun speeds can’t be trusted, according to Vaughn they’ve been ‘adjusted’

theotherjonv

Test cricket’s so boring compared to one day bashing 😲

Klunk
    Free Member

How costly will Roy giving Head a life be ?

Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.