My dear old things, it's STW TMS!

Viewing 40 posts - 3,601 through 3,640 (of 3,766 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • ddraiggoch

Not out BECAUSE it hit the stumps!

Klunk

Beard Inspector 😀

Klunk

England avoid the follow on

Stand by my earliet comments sbout yestetday; as for any of warner, bancroft or smith being banned for life – get a grip man.
    Yesterday’s highlights were england’s bowling until about 3pm and smith’s batting; lowlights were the umpires’ poor performance and the boring monotonous half-wits shouting ‘cheat’.
    As for today Burns looks comfortable, Root much less so before lunch but now looks settled.
    Lyon probably has long spell to look forward to this afternoon.
    Siddle still getting some lift but he will tire.
    Looking promising – famous last words……

Houns

Great message to send out to others; brazenly cheat, don’t worry if you get caught you’ll have a few months off (but can play elsewhere) and be welcomed back to the team on full pay and benefits. No deterrent to cheaters at all

Stripped of the captaincy, banned for a year. I think he was treated harshly. The boo boys have made their point.

dantsw13

Well done Burns – stuck at it on a tricky wicket with plenty of turn. I think Aus will rue only playing 4 bowlers. More sensible batting tomorrow please – preferably until tea at least!

ddraiggoch

Stand by my earliet comments sbout yestetday; as for any of warner, bancroft or smith being banned for life – get a grip man.

Banned for life? No. Made to feel uncomfortable and reminded of their actions, I have no problem with this whatsoever, and particularly in Warner’s case. When they start acting like gentlemen they can be treated like them.

That said, chatting with an Aussie colleague today, he reckoned we’d have seen the back of Bancroft on performance alone but for the feeling of guilt for their treatment. Nobody plays the victim quite like an Aussie who’s been caught out

Friday at Edgbaston was even better than Thursday.
    Burns showed maturity in choosing which balls to leave and which to play; he and Stokes look well set but the Aussies will be steaming in on Saturday morning with a ball only a few overs old.
    Lyon was turning the ball a little more late in the day so he could be more important in England’s 2nd innings.
    Umpires had better day than they endured on Thursday.
    Aussie quicks got more lift and bounce out of the pitch than England.
    After the match in the queue for shuttle bus the attitude of several England players to young fans asking for autographs and/or selfies was disappointing: Broad and Anderson made no effort at all; Roy smiled; Bairstow signed a few autographs; Root had time for everyone – selfies, autographs, brief chats.
    Regrettably I will be following the rest of this test on radio.

Bear

The booing is boring. They were stupid, some of them naive, probably led by Warner, but EVERY team doctors the ball in some way. A lifetime ban for them would be harsh.

Smith and Burns batting together would make interesting viewing…. One is held up as having strange technique but being mentally tough and knowing his game, the other poor technique who won’t survive unless he changes it. It’s time we stopped trying to get every player to play the same way.

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

The booing is now boring and I’m expecting better banter to come from the Barmy, however the flapping bits of sandpaper was very funny.

I was particularly impressed with how Burns dealt with the 60 over ball change, the replacement ball moved, relatively speaking, sideways compared to the original. Still, I suppose when you’re no longer able to take 80 grit with you onto the field of play, selecting a replacement ball that’s had a gentle life to date is the next best thing and did indeed produce two wickets. 🤔

From the TMS live feed;

You couldn’t make it up. 14 years after THAT ankle injury, Glenn McGrath almost did it again – just stopping himself from stepping on a ball that had strayed from England practice. After that, there was a chat with Paul Collingwood about Jimmy Anderson’s fitness. “He looked a little ginger,” said McGrath. “There’s nothing wrong with being ginger,” said Colly.

😃

ddraiggoch

Ali being as useful as ever 😒

Klunk

stupid pick, his batting has been woeful and there are far better spinners out there.

ddraiggoch

Calypso collapso, again

dantsw13

Bairstow needs a slap too. Another angled bat waft outside off. I coach U11 and they’d be upset with that shot.

ddraiggoch

Despite his test beginnings, Bairstow’s recent limited overs successes seem to have clouded his judgment

Klunk

do enjoy a bit of tail waggage !

Klunk

50 partnership for the 8th wicket. well played chaps.

70 run lead…

Klunk

374 all out, probably looking at 450 at the start of play then 300 but a good effort from the tail lead of 90 not to be sniffed at.

Klunk

once a **** always a ****, walk you ****

Houns

Boooooooo! Off you get cheat

450th wicket for Broad

dantsw13

Crowd enjoyed that 🤩

Houns

Twice he could’ve walked in this match and didn’t, so much for changing peoples opinions of him

Klunk

it was a proper edge too, didn’t even need snicko to see!!

Klunk

let’s hope moeen makes me eat my words 😀

Test match cricket. Bloody marvellous.

ddraiggoch

Smith and Head, again. About the only way out of this looks to be to hit Smith in the Head. He is annoyingly very good, and probably the difference between two mediocre batting lineups

Yep, Smith can churn out these performances and very likely will in the rest of the series.
    Too much inconsistency in england’s batting.
    Moeen needs to believe in himself; pitch will give him some help on sunday.
    If australia get to lunch without losing a wicket i think the odds will move strongly in their favour

Bear

Add 2 quick wickets this morning and it probably 50 for 5. Game so evenly poised a brilliant test match so far that has ebbed and flowed in both directions Long live test cricket.

ddraiggoch

79-3 at the moment and not showing much sign of improvement

Pretty poor from England this morning. Is Woakes injured too?

dannyh

This has got away from England. They had an end open and a shit batsman (Wade) to go at, and have not looked like getting a wicket. I don’t fancy batting for a day and a session against Lyon et al.

Houns

Should’ve bowled Woakes first session today

whitestone

Phew!

Well, for the time being.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

We haven’t had much luck with bowler injury but haven’t shown any gumption. Surprised Aus haven’t declared by now, they should go at us at the end of a long day in the field

England being ground into the dust.
    Now into last 12 overs of the day.
    Australia to declare with 10 to go and then a severe examination for burns & roy.
    5% chance of england win.
    Fortress Edgbaston close to being breached.

Houns

Dig in tomorrow

What are the words to the song the Barmy army are singing at the moment?

dannyh

The booing is now boring and I’m expecting better banter to come from the Barmy, however the flapping bits of sandpaper was very funny.

I’m in two minds about this, still.

Sure, they were stupid, they got caught, they took their punishment, served it and are back. No issues there. A year ban for ball tampering felt a bit steep to me, but there you are.

However, the notion that the bowlers did not know what was going on is risible. There isn’t as much mystery to reverse swing as a lot of people think. On a very dry pitch on a hot day with a dry outfield I used to be able to get a ball to reverse after about forty overs in club cricket. It was actually pretty straightforward. You got hold of the ball and wet the shinier side a lot, then polished it up on the trousers in the standard way. You then just remembered which way to orientate the ball. No need to angle the seam, just bolt upright and straight and it would ‘go’. The one golden rule was that no moisture whatsoever could get on the rough side. If you got one drop of sweat on it and it stopped ‘going’.

The point of my story above is that as a bowler who was trying to get the ball to reverse you tried to get it thrown back direct, without going round the infield where sweaty hands or someone who didn’t know what they were doing would ruin the effect. You examined the ball like a stamp collector and if someone had taken a piece of sandpaper to it, you would know.

Also, the Cape Town incident only happened because the ball (and a kookaburra which normally don’t reverse much) started to ‘go’ after about thirty overs in earlier tests and Fannie De Villiers suspected something, so was watching closely. It was unlikely to be a one-off.

I reckon Smith, Warner and Bancroft were so obviously bang to rights that the ACB chucked them under the bus as quickly as possible to keep the bowlers out of it.

Bear

I’m not so sure reverse swing is as simple as that, but you do have the bit about looking after the ball correct.

Seam angle and wrist position play a big part as does the pace you can bowl it. I only worked out how to do it in the later part of my career and sadly to late to exploit.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,601 through 3,640 (of 3,766 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.